Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

We think he has caught the cold momcat had. She was sneezing and wheezing up a storm for a few days before & around when the kittens were born. I am hoping that there's nothing more wrong with him than that (though in an infant that's serious), and with a runny nose he has a hard time nursing and breathing at the same time. The bottle can help with that; we started that last evening. My wife reports he ate well, so there's hope.

The bottle seems to be doing the trick; he's gaining weight, and has nearly caught up with his sibs, a couple of whom have started the snuffling runny-nose thing and are also being bottle-supplemented.

The only downside is that now when a human picks them up they expect to be fed, and complain when it doesn't happen. :rolleyes:

Heh. At least they associate being picked up with good things. My Risu wails and thrashes when we pick her up. I've taken to picking her up very, very gently, speaking to her soothingly, then setting her back down gently as she starts to squirm. She gets treats for not biting or scratching. I can't tell if we're making headway or not; this morning she was fine with being picked up, but, when I picked her up to get her out of the laundry room last night, she hissed and growled at me. No scratching or biting, though.

The association between being picked up and and good things is one that really needs to be put in from ... not the day they're born, but only a few days after that. It's not something that an animal, left to itself, is going to have; it'll have the reverse by default. It's best for the hand-gentling to start at very early times. That's part of the reason we do the kitten fostering. We get the pleasure of on-site kittens that we don't have to work to find homes for; the shelter gets kittens that are happy to be with people. They get adopted much faster than the others.

Hmm. I'll have to try that.

One of Risu's favorites is olives. Only green olives; she turns her nose up at black olives. But just about anything else, if you offer her a piece, will get snapped up. Then she licks her lips and looks at you expectantly for more.

It's funny, but I don't want to make her sick by giving her much people food. I do know that she's never had a chance to develop a lactose intolerance, because, no matter how I try to stop her, she's always cleaning out my cereal bowl when I'm done.

One cat we had ... clearly his favorite on thing on Earth was sweetened dairy products. He'd hold still while you sprayed whipped cream out of an aerosol can directly on his nose. He didn't like the noise and sudden cold dab, but the whipped cream was worth it.

Yeah, our cat was that way about ice cream bowls. We'd often have dessert while lounging on the living room floor watching TV, and he'd choose the spot closest to a couple of bowls. As the ice cream level went down, he'd creep closer and closer, to the point where his nose was over the rim of the bowl. Eventually you'd give up and let him have the melt in the bottom.

Our Ava cat will not eat cruchies' date=' but will eat all manners of other stuff. She likes guacamole for instance.[/quote']

Both of my cats love Brewer's Yeast tablets. To them it's like kitty treats. All I have to do is shake the bottle and they come running.

My cats just about insist on drinking from the bathtub faucet, despite my getting them a new cat water dish. It even filters and airiates the water. No luck. :( Anything I can do to switch them over to the dish? They tend to want to drink at inopportune times, like when I need to shower to get ready for work.

My older cat seems to be doing better since the dentistry. his coat is getting glossy again, he purrs more often, and has a little more energy. Though he still has a problem with throwing up from time to time. I'm currently trying him on the really expensive Science Diet to see if that helps any. Is it wrong to want to cure the upchucking, but not want to spend 3 times the usual on food to do it?

Both of my cats love Brewer's Yeast tablets. To them it's like kitty treats. All I have to do is shake the bottle and they come running.

My cats just about insist on drinking from the bathtub faucet, despite my getting them a new cat water dish. It even filters and airiates the water. No luck. :( Anything I can do to switch them over to the dish? They tend to want to drink at inopportune times, like when I need to shower to get ready for work.

My older cat seems to be doing better since the dentistry. his coat is getting glossy again, he purrs more often, and has a little more energy. Though he still has a problem with throwing up from time to time. I'm currently trying him on the really expensive Science Diet to see if that helps any. Is it wrong to want to cure the upchucking, but not want to spend 3 times the usual on food to do it?

Some cats just love faucet water.

On Science Diet, it's not really all that great of a food. A lot of cats don't like it either. You might want to see if you can find a grain free food. I think wellness has one that's Turkey, Turkey heart, and Turkey Liver.

Some cats just love faucet water.

On Science Diet, it's not really all that great of a food. A lot of cats don't like it either. You might want to see if you can find a grain free food. I think wellness has one that's Turkey, Turkey heart, and Turkey Liver.

Does the grain component tend to cause problems more than the chicken (or something else)? I've noticed that the majority of (dry) cat foods contain not only grain, but chicken in one form or another.

Does Wellness make a dry cat food? I think I've seen their canned foods in a nearby pet store.