Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I think we've had that conversation already. Maybe in another thread' date=' but that sounds familiar.[/quote']

I know I've seen it said in several peices of SF, along with a number of more "traditional" sources. :) I wouldn't be surprised if it had been mentioned here on the boards.

Grrrr. Cat I adopted out in 2006 just got dropped off at animal control in Las Vegas. Was said to be an owner surrender, but the name of the owner did not match the adopter. We're picking the cat up, but now I'm trying to get a hold of the original people who adopted two of our kittens at the same time.

Also trying to find out what's going on with an adopter who apparently lost their cat last year and one of our members found him, but hadn't scanned for microchips until last week. They also adopted two cats...

So far, I've been just getting answering machines.

We removed a chickadee nest from our laundry space yesterday. A knothole in the siding next to the water heater vent had popped open, and the birds got in that way. It's been blocked.

Along the same lines' date=' I gather that black holes (the physical/astrophysical phenomenon), when discussed in other languages, are nearly always referred to by the English term "black hole" or the closest phonetic approximation that works with the local language. All too often a literal translation of "black" + "hole" turns out to be vulgar slang.[/quote']

IIRC, that's the same reason the Chevy Nova didn't sell well in some countries. In some countries, "No Va" means "No Go".

Wow. That's the first one I genuinely fell for. I guess it was easier to because either way (true/false) it made no real difference in my life.

Unlike those Nigerien emails where the person needs to get a large sum of money out of his country and all he needs is my bank account number to achieve this, and also to share a large percentage with me for my trouble -- which are unquestionably true. ;):snicker:

That's only come about as astrophysics has come to understand the nova phenomenon, where in this case nova refers to a previously unseen star that suddenly becomes quite bright (among the brightest stars in the sky) and then fades back out of visibility in a few days or weeks. We get one of those ever couple of decades, on average. The last whopper I can recall was Nova Cygni 1975, but not being in the cataclysmic variable racket I may be forgetting one.

Wow. That's the first one I genuinely fell for. I guess it was easier to because either way (true/false) it made no real difference in my life.

Unlike those Nigerien emails where the person needs to get a large sum of money out of his country and all he needs is my bank account number to achieve this, and also to share a large percentage with me for my trouble -- which are unquestionably true. ;):snicker:

Well, it also helps that "no va" does mean "it doesn't go" in Spanish. But it skips over the fact that "nova" means the same thing in Spanish as it does in English. And is pronounced differently than "no va" is.

It sounds plausible and makes a big corporation look dumb. The fact that the Nova actually sold quite well in Mexico just ruins the neat story. :D

I thought that was Pinto?

Heh. My parents owned one of those when I was little. Then we got a Nova.

I sometimes map out my childhood by the cars I was driven around in. It makes a certain sense; my little sister's conception was thanks to the purchase of our blue Caravan.

I learned to drive in the next car we got.

My family moved when I was 18 months old. My parents have lived in that house ever since. I, meanwhile, have moved an average of once a year since graduating high school. Unless you don't count moving in and out of dorms as a move. (I'm counting it as half, but there were two of those per year.)

Almost exactly a month old now, the kittens have, in the last two days, seen their cuteness rating spike hard. They are now venturing around on their own, playing, pouncing (badly), etc.

The pale one has clearly developed points, albeit with some white spots on several of them (toes, forehead). It's also got a double coat. I'm not convinced we've seen the end of its color changes, but it could be stable now.

Almost exactly a month old now, the kittens have, in the last two days, seen their cuteness rating spike hard. They are now venturing around on their own, playing, pouncing (badly), etc.

The pale one has clearly developed points, albeit with some white spots on several of them (toes, forehead). It's also got a double coat. I'm not convinced we've seen the end of its color changes, but it could be stable now.

Useless without pics.

Risu's color continued to shift until her winter coat grew in, after she was a year old. I think it's done now, but I wouldn't swear to it.