Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Hobbes gave us a worry over the weekend; he disappeared for about 30 hours. I saw him Saturday afternoon on the roof with Felix, and Felix came in, but Hobbes did not. He limped in last night about 9 PM, not moving very well. He accepted food, water, drugs, and a warm place to sleep.

Well, I prepped them better this time. I gave them a sample exam the week before the test, and the solutions to the sample 3 days later, so they had a taste of what my questions are like. The average on this first test is about 15 points higher than it was last spring (when I last taught the class, and when I gave no sample exam before the 1st test).

Yeah, there's a couple of vegetables who stunk it up nonetheless, but no need to toast people.

. . . Cats are cats!

I think.

Yes, but they have very different personalities, from cat to cat. We now have four in the house we're renting, and each has quite a different temperament. One has hidden in her owner's room for the last month, and made herself sick with stress. Another WANTS attention and to join in the fun, but hisses at us if we get too close. Meanwhile, Herc has settled into his old routine, but for taking longer to come when called, and Risu keeps trying to play with the cat who's clearly afraid of her.

Yes' date=' but they have very different personalities, from cat to cat. We now have four in the house we're renting, and each has quite a different temperament. One has hidden in her owner's room for the last month, and made herself sick with stress. Another WANTS attention and to join in the fun, but hisses at us if we get too close. Meanwhile, Herc has settled into his old routine, but for taking longer to come when called, and Risu keeps trying to play with the cat who's clearly afraid of her.[/quote']

My two cats are able to tolerate each other in moderately close quarters, but Havoc (my first, and now aged cat) still is a loner and won't play with or groom/be groomed by Hodgepodge (the abandoned cat I rescued 2 years ago). Does anybody have any tips on getting them to fully accept each other?

Kitty Vallium for Havoc, perhaps? He's always been a moody cat.

My two cats are able to tolerate each other in moderately close quarters, but Havoc (my first, and now aged cat) still is a loner and won't play with or groom/be groomed by Hodgepodge (the abandoned cat I rescued 2 years ago). Does anybody have any tips on getting them to fully accept each other?

Kitty Vallium for Havoc, perhaps? He's always been a moody cat.

Well, before going to psychotropics, I'd go with one of the flower essenses.

Feliway is usually used to calm cats and get them more used to an area. Often used in carriers before we transport, and also to get cats to not mark. Though my experience is that it seems to have effect on 50% of cats.

For a lot of behaviors, I've found some of the products from Bottled Blessings to be of use. From them, my wife and I use "No Bully" mainly for our thug of a cat. When we don't use it, his torment of the other cats increases.

I think they have a version for getting cats to like each other more, though maybe just a calming one.

However, Havoc may just not want to deal with another cat. And not much will change that. Heck, out of my seven, three of them like each other, two are in seperate areas because they don't like other cats. One's the computer room cat, the other is the TV cat. The others figure out places on the bed at night.

The vet thinks he got hit by a car, but the only thing they found wrong for certain was a cracked jawbone. My suspicion is that he got up a tree, couldn't get down, eventually jumped and landed poorly.

He is doing much better. Last night he started eating heartily again (leftover grilled chicken breast :rolleyes:). This morning he came out to see me when I went out to the kitchen, which he had not done the previous day. He's still on some anti-inflammatories to ease the joint soreness, but he's coming around.

All the cats are annoyed with us. We won't let them out for a few days before Halloween ... animal cruelty acts spike this time of year, especially to black cats, of which we have two ... so Felix in particular has been voicing his disapproval of the situation.

I've heard that for the same reasons' date=' animal shelters suspend adoptions of black cats for a period prior to (and including) Halloween.[/quote']

The studies I've looked at show that there tends to be an increase in violence toward pets, but not a large one. And that the color of pet, doesn't matter much. I'll have to see if I can find some of this info online.

However, there's a perception that black cats are the most threatened, so we don't take ours out on mobiles in october, but if someone comes to us, we adopt them out. And we do a pretty thorough check in any case.

The studies I've looked at show that there tends to be an increase in violence toward pets, but not a large one. And that the color of pet, doesn't matter much. I'll have to see if I can find some of this info online.

However, there's a perception that black cats are the most threatened, so we don't take ours out on mobiles in october, but if someone comes to us, we adopt them out. And we do a pretty thorough check in any case.

Maybe you should change your tagline to "Professional LOLCat Herder"? ;)