Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I have 3 or 4 bottles of Knappogue Castle stashed away. Getting more is sort of a hit-or-miss thing.

I picked up a bottle each from the Jameson and Bushmills distilleries when I went on the tours. Both are 12 year old single malts, and both only sold at the distilleries. And for that matter both with custom labels commemorating the fact that we were in Ireland to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. :)

Well ... I'd keep the bottles' date=' empty or full. ;)[/quote']

Certainly the plan. Currently they're still full. Unopened even. That'll change at some point, but I'm waiting for a reasonably auspicious occasion for that. Maybe if her cousin heads out for a visit from Ireland... :)

On 21 October 2005 -- the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar -- everyone at the gaming table had a tot of rum with the toast "Kiss me, Hardy". Since I didn't realize until that day that's what day it was, I didn't get anything special, and we just had it out of our dacquiri supply bottle.

I saw 'em. The telescope one I knew about already, not in specifics, but about the network it's part of. The world-wide dedicated telescope network concept has been around for a while; I think the first such net got started about 1990, IIRC. Now there are several such, pursuing different classes of phenomena.

The dark matter article ... there's a lot of dark matter articles, but I think I heard about this a couple months back. I have to admit I am not that much of a dark matter enthusiast. I'm a radiation guy. I know that astrophysically that is so pre-1960s, but oh well.

No ... the observational evidence for dark matter is incontrovertible. My own scientific interests, though, are more in problems involving radiation and its interactions with matter, which by definition is NOT dark matter.

In the category of odd real-world events that could be used in your RPG:

Earthquake swarm near Richland, WA (not far from the Hanford reservation!)

From the linked page here:

These events occur within a small region no more than 2 km on a side and at shallow (< 3 km) depths. The largest event has a magnitude of only 2.9 and most events are less than magnitude 1. Earthquake swarms such as this one are not uncommon in eastern Washington. In fact there have been at least three previous swarms in this same area (1970, 1975 and 1988).

See also the linked map of the quakes, color-coded by when they happened, here.

... So ... what was buried 2.5 km down and is struggling to get out in your game-world? :eg: