Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Sorry for taking so long to reply, Lemming. I wanted to have all the information at once, and couldn't find the receipt with the name of the drug till just now.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet and there's not enough info.

Is the discharge discolored? If it's not greenish, probably means it's not an infection that antibiotics would help with. And if it's viral, then they wouldn't either.

How's his appetite?

Just for curiosity, which antibiotic?

Yes, it's discolored -- greenish. The supposedly took a sample, cultured it, and came back with a name for the bug they found (can't recall offhand). His appetite is good. He had lost weight due to a couple of bad teeth, but with them fixed he has been slowly adding weight.

The antibiotic is Marbofloxacin. 100 mg tablets broken in half, with two halves being given daily (morning & evening). He was on it for about 6 weeks, and while it seemed to make a *little* help early on, it didn't do any more than that.

At the sanctuary' date=' they often nebulize cats, which is using cold steam for the cat to breathe in while in a carrier. I wouldn't recommend it for you, just because of expense. We've used a humidifier, a towel over it and a carrier with the cat in it. (Medium sized crate, you want to let the cat have plenty of room) Failing that, running a very hot shower with the cat in the bathroom. But this just helps a bit with symptoms.[/quote']

My vet said the same thing about the hot shower.

My Katrina cat has chronic rhinitis (sp) which basically means his nasal passage is irritated and he blows snot everywhere. Clorox wipes actually work well on cleaning the dried stuff off the walls without removing the paint. If he blows green snot' date=' he goes on antibiotics. Doxi which works for him. He's allergic to Clavamox. And where I worked, we gets meds for cost, so it can skew my cost expectations.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip about the Clorox wipes! I've already spent a fair amount on what seemed to be ineffective antibiotics (to the tune of $300), I really don't want to fund a trial-and-error egghunt, especially when some of the side effects of other drugs I was informed of could be blindness. So I'm not sure what to do -- get a second opinion from a different clinic ($$), stay the trial-and-error course ($$$), or something else...

Sorry for taking so long to reply, Lemming. I wanted to have all the information at once, and couldn't find the receipt with the name of the drug till just now.

Yes, it's discolored -- greenish. The supposedly took a sample, cultured it, and came back with a name for the bug they found (can't recall offhand). His appetite is good. He had lost weight due to a couple of bad teeth, but with them fixed he has been slowly adding weight.

The antibiotic is Marbofloxacin. 100 mg tablets broken in half, with two halves being given daily (morning & evening). He was on it for about 6 weeks, and while it seemed to make a *little* help early on, it didn't do any more than that.

My vet said the same thing about the hot shower.

Thanks for the tip about the Clorox wipes! I've already spent a fair amount on what seemed to be ineffective antibiotics (to the tune of $300), I really don't want to fund a trial-and-error egghunt, especially when some of the side effects of other drugs I was informed of could be blindness. So I'm not sure what to do -- get a second opinion from a different clinic ($$), stay the trial-and-error course ($$$), or something else...

Hadn't heard of that antibiotic, may be fairly new, which ups the cost. Not sure if I can add much more, sometimes trial & error is the only way, but if you talk to your vet about your frustration, they may be able to at least give the reasons why.

Hadn't heard of that antibiotic' date=' may be fairly new, which ups the cost. Not sure if I can add much more, sometimes trial & error is the only way, but if you talk to your vet about your frustration, they may be able to at least give the reasons why.[/quote']

There is a Wikipedia page for it. I recently switched to a better cat food, and already his coat is improved, and he has resumed his grooming (which had tapered off to almost nil in the past). He also seems to have less problems with an upset stomach (throwing up), and sheds less. His nasal problems seem like they *might* also be lessening with the improved diet. So I'll probably give him a little while longer on the new food before I make another vet visit to see if he continues to improve.

There is a Wikipedia page for it. I recently switched to a better cat food' date=' and already his coat is improved, and he has resumed his grooming (which had tapered off to almost nil in the past). He also seems to have less problems with an upset stomach (throwing up), and sheds less. His nasal problems seem like they *might* also be lessening with the improved diet. So I'll probably give him a little while longer on the new food before I make another vet visit to see if he continues to improve.[/quote']

Food can make a difference. I should of thought of that. There's a ton of additives in some of the cat foods and I know of a couple people that when they changed their cat's diet, they were not as allergic to the cat.

Memo to self: do NOT take it into your head to climb trees to prune them.

Lord Rutherford, New Zealand's greatest scientist, died from internal injuries after falling out of the tree after doing exactly that at age 67,