Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Haven't had that one used yet. Only a matter of time' date=' I suppose.[/quote']

My cousin, also a teacher -- posted this to facebook.

Boy: I made something today.

Me: Awesome! What is it.

Boy: A too hard basket and ima put my homework in it right now!

The real problem is that many of the teachers are also dumb people. Well, actually that is harsh. I'll rephrase, they are not capable of properly teaching and passing on the knowledge that students so desperately need. Then of course you have the government stepping in, which is also composed of dumb people, and telling the teachers what they can and can't teach. So we end up with a case of the dumb leading the dumb. I think teachers, good qualified teachers, should be paid well enough that it would entice the more intelligent of the population to become teachers, and lead future generations into a more enlightened future. The fact that I make more than most college professors is just sad.

Hi RPMiller. How have you been?

ou have a good point regarding the quality of the teachers. But to me it is more than that. I reckon it is the education system itself. As I see it we have two: 1) the better education system that is reserved for the private/preparatory students of the rich people that gives both a quality education with broadness and depth; and 2) the non-private/prep school that teaches just enough to produce people who can fulfil adequately, the functions of state.

Or to put it in more simplistic terms, the first one is there for the 'ruling elite'/establishment and the second is there for their 'subjects'. The first one gives 'them' the necessary education of the classical education concept of the liberal arts 'free man' so they can provide the overall guidance and direction for society and the second gives sufficient education for a profession, trade etc.

take two:

Since self-government was important to the Greeks, paideia, combined with ethos (habits), made a man good and made him capable as a citizen or a king.[4] This education was not about learning a trade or an art—which the Greeks called banausos, and which were considered mechanical tasks unworthy of a learned citizen—but was about training for liberty (freedom) and nobility (the beautiful). Paideia is the cultural heritage that is continued through the generations. (from wikipedia)

The term liberal arts denotes a curriculum that imparts general knowledge and develops the student’s rational thought and intellectual capabilities, unlike the professional, vocational, technical curricula emphasizing specialization. The contemporary liberal arts comprise studying literature, languages, philosophy, history, mathematics, and science.[1] In classical antiquity, the liberal arts denoted the education proper to a free man (Latin: liber, “free”), unlike the education proper to a slave. (from wikipedia)

The goal of the education system of the private/preparatory schools is to produce Free Men -- to impart an education of breadth and depth. The goal of the non private/prep schools is twofold, 1) it to impart sufficient education required for an art/trade or profession 2) to ensure they remain 'slaves of the state' (ie a non-liberating education -- the 'education proper to a slave'). This helps fulfil the functions of The State*.

Wikipedia says that the idea of paideia has continued in the concept of an 'English Gentlemen'.

Education curriculum from a Liberal arts college. This is what I mean when I use the words "breadth and depth of a private/prep school style education.

*if you want to know what I mean by this, just ask. :)

I see your points and understand what is being said, but unfortunately, I don't believe this is true anymore, at least in American education. I am currently attending a private university, an "old" private university in fact, and while they required some "free man" type courses--philosophy, theology, and writing/literature--the degree courses have been Terrible, yes, with a capital "T." As a former teacher myself, I tend to be very critical of education, but my feelings are echoed by every single one of my fellow students, and that is a very major point.

My wife is currently working on her teaching credential and she is finding that some of her classmates fall into the "below average" category in terms of teaching ability and learning, and I shudder to think that these people will one day be teaching our youth.

I think there has been a considerable paradigm shift in education, and it has moved its focus from creating leaders and tradesmen to simply earning a profit or being a holding facility for Americas youth.

Oh, and I've been good. I've been extremely busy, but good. I'm down to my last four courses before I graduate in December. At which point, I will return to "normal" activity levels. :D

I see your points and understand what is being said, but unfortunately, I don't believe this is true anymore, at least in American education. I am currently attending a private university, an "old" private university in fact, and while they required some "free man" type courses--philosophy, theology, and writing/literature--the degree courses have been Terrible, yes, with a capital "T." As a former teacher myself, I tend to be very critical of education, but my feelings are echoed by every single one of my fellow students, and that is a very major point.

My wife is currently working on her teaching credential and she is finding that some of her classmates fall into the "below average" category in terms of teaching ability and learning, and I shudder to think that these people will one day be teaching our youth.

I think there has been a considerable paradigm shift in education, and it has moved its focus from creating leaders and tradesmen to simply earning a profit or being a holding facility for Americas youth.

Oh, and I've been good. I've been extremely busy, but good. I'm down to my last four courses before I graduate in December. At which point, I will return to "normal" activity levels. :D

Thanks for your 'inside info'. :) That means a lot to me. It's nice that I'm on the right track so to speak, but can see your point about turning a profit etc.

In what course will you graduate in? I just finished a Bachelor of IT/Bachelor of Business (major was accounting). I'm still waiting for the official piece of paper saying the University agrees with me.

In what course will you graduate in? I just finished a Bachelor of IT/Bachelor of Business (major was accounting). I'm still waiting for the official piece of paper saying the University agrees with me.

:) I'm hoping to receive a similar piece of paper for a Bachelor of Management of Information Systems.

I came across this just a moment ago:

"Teaching does not go beyond the limit of pointing out the way and the journey; but the vision is totally the personal task of those who have resolved to contemplate." Plotinus, Enneads, VI, 9, IV

I think this is a different translation:

As Plotinus says: “The teaching does not go beyond the limit of pointing out the Way and the journey: the Vision, in fact, is entirely the personal labor of the one who sought It”.