Rifts HERO?

gauss

Re: Rifts HERO?

I found a new way to convert damage as well, using the geometric scale.

It's similar to the +35 = x100 formula.

Basically, take the standard effect of the attack, and compare it to the scale.

A full burst from a SAMAS Rail Gun does 1d4x10 MD IIRC, so the standard effect is 2000 SDC damage, which is closest to 2^11 = 55 Active Points.

That means a full round burst from a SAMAS Rail Gun is an RKA 3 1/2 d6

A Glitterboy has 700 MDC on main body

700 MDC = 70000 SDC = 2^26 = 67,108,864

3 Active Points of Armor is able to defend against 5 Active Points of Damage

3/5 Ratio

This is the long, drawn out equation: 26 x 5 = 130 x .6 = 78 Active Points/3 = 26, back where we started.

So Glitterboy armor, without modifiers (Hardened, Focus, etc) is 26 rPD/ 26 rED

This is of course assuming that you are not building it as a vehicle, which it should not be.

This is of course assuming that you are not building it as a vehicle' date=' which it should not be.[/quote']I quite agree. It's similar to the Iron Man reasoning, but in the case of GBs I've seen played, it's even more extreme. One guy wanted to justify sleeping, eating, doing everything in his armor and never taking it off. Granted, in the latest iteration of the rules at least, there's some reason given for the GM to say "No" but I've seen it allowed in many cases...

For me, I'm probably going to make Rifts HERO a Very Powerful Heroic campaign that verges on the Superheroic, so IOW, I decide how Glitterboys and other toys are built.

But, for Robot Vehicles, and Vehicles in General, I would do as I stated in an earlier post for determining BODY and DEF.

For example, since I do not have a Rifts book on hand at the moment, I shall use the Glitterboy on the assumption of it being built as a vehicle.

700 MDC = (70,000 SDC and HP) /2 = 35,000 SDC or HP

Since we have only halved the total, that's only -5 Active Points (if you must know, it is exactly 33,554,432, but let's round)

And because that is only -5 Active Points, that means that a Glitterboy built as a Vehicle would have only 13 DEF, but would have 62 fraggin' BODY! And I must emphasize that we haven't even added the rest of the goodies!

It looks like Damage and MDC are pretty much figured out (but reverse convert Dr. Destroyer to Rifts that way and see the results:eek: )

I'm figuring that any form of movement can easily be converted.

Speed = x20 = x Yards in a Minute x 3 = x Feet x 60 = x" in an hour / 5280 = xMPH

MPH x804.5 = x" / 60 = per minute / 5 = per Turn / SPD (I like to just use 2), and then factor out Non-Combat multiples as necessary

So a Spd 20 Character is

20 x 20 = 440 x 3 = 1320 x 60 = 79,200 / 5,280 = 15 mph exactly

15mph x 804.5 = 12,068 (I rounded) / 60 = 201 / 5 = 40 / 2 = 20 = 20", which probably means 10" of movement.

The more that I look into this, the more that Rifts and Palladium actually look puny compared to some of the things that I've seen in HERO System.

...And because that is only -5 Active Points' date=' that means that a Glitterboy built as a Vehicle would have only 13 DEF, but would have 62 fraggin' BODY! And I must emphasize that we haven't even added the rest of the goodies![/quote']

... Just pointing out that this makes it an excellent candidate for Damage Reduction...

... Just pointing out that this makes it an excellent candidate for Damage Reduction...

Long, long ago I suggested using Damage Reduction to represent a Glitterboy (and other uber-tough mecha) but a lot of people didn't like the idea.

I love it though and if I wrote up a Glitterboy tomorrow, I would include Damage Reduction in the write-up.

For Glitterboys, it does say that they take only half damage from lasers.

I am assuming that they mean more than just weapons with the word 'laser' in them, so I would give them EDR for light based weapons, which usually means lasers anyway, at least.

But for otherwise DR, I would reverse calculate the BODY by the DR rate until I got a viable number.

Taking that 62 BODY into mind, if I gave it 50% DR, that would be (62 / 1.5) = 41, which is still a bit much, so lets go to 75% DR --> 35 BODY, which is a bit better if I went down that route.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been playing Rifts for the last few months using Hero rules. Its going quite well and the GM did a good job moving the classes into Hero terms. For weapons he just uped the damage so that Megascale is in the range of 6d+ KA attacks. Armor was upped equivantly so that a tank has enough armor that it is not in danger from anything less than a dozen killing dice.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been playing Rifts for the last few months using Hero rules. Its going quite well and the GM did a good job moving the classes into Hero terms. For weapons he just uped the damage so that Megascale is in the range of 6d+ KA attacks. Armor was upped equivantly so that a tank has enough armor that it is not in danger from anything less than a dozen killing dice.

Blacksword, would it be possible to see some numerical examples? I mean, a weapon or two, or maybe the actual numbers on that tank?

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I think Magic and Psionics should be addressed.

First off, Potential Psychic Energy would probably be an END Reserve.

Inner Strength Points has an unwritten appearance of just being half as potent as PPE, so just take a Psychic's ISP total and halve it to PPE.

I would prefer to compare a PPE total to the Geometric Scale, and then using those corresponding Active Points as a budget between the END and the REC.

Ex. An average beginning Ley Line Walker gets 3d6 x10 +20 +PE (average 9) = 119 --> 2^7 = 128 --> 35 Active Points in an END Reserve.

Some ways to split it up are 300 END and 5 REC, or 50 END, 30 REC, but there are many other ways, as long as it is 35 Active Points, assuming strict conversion.

This brings me to another point: I do not think that there should be any actual Package deals to represent every single Magic OCC or Psychic PCC.

The numerous books make it pretty obvious that much of it is actually up to your imagination.

For example, a Master Psychic is just a character with numerous, powerful Psionic powers, while a Minor one is someone who has a few tricks up their sleeve.

The same goes for Magic OCCs, except maybe a base class that gives the bare necessities of Magic Users, but then all else is variation.

Yes, I think pretty much the same. RIFTS more or less amounts to an "anything goes" setting, so why bother to actually duplicate the major packages and OCCs unless you want to use them as NPCs? I can see doing writeups for various characters like Juicers and Cyberknights that are the staples of the setting, and of course you need to whip up versions of equipment and powered armour. But, OCCs and RCCs are probably better served by just making "examples" rather than packages and letting the PCs go nuts with it. After all, if you wanted those packages, you'd just be playing RIFTS itself, right? HERO is there to open things up, not restrict them.

Rob

Just pointing out the no brainer method of converting ISP and PPE: convert your highest draw power into Hero and multiply that by the number of times that you can toss it off in Rifts.

Also, Ley lines act as an Aid to all Magic and Psionic base powers: 1d6 for weak lines up to ~4-6d6 for a Dimensional Rift w/ a coresponding environmental penalty to Mystic and Psionic senses.

One of my longstanding conundrums has been Cybernetics and Bionics (C&B).

Right now, I have decided to treat C&B as the thin line between Equipment and Powers, so they cost half in Money, half in Character Points.

But with my "anything goes" approach, what about new C&B installations?

I think that this would take some extra thought on a GM's part to create Cyber-Docs (if there are any in town) with specific ranges of budget and ability, and that dictates what they can make, giving them not only a mechanic-like feel, but also engineer extraordinaire; Techno-Wizards also would fall into this same mold.

I actually have to say that I think it's better, and more HERO, to have the Bionics&Cybernetics paid for with full points, not half. during character creation. In the end, they're just a gimmick to give you Superpowers anyways, and get the price break as foci, so why not just let them be paid for normally? After character creation, you have the usual HERO conundrum of whether to make them pay points or money for development. I'd be inclined to let the ones bought after character creation be counted as equipment and not bother with points for them unless there was something special about them. (ie A new bionic hand costs no points, just money, a bionic technowizard hand with a shield spell might costs points and money if I was running it.)

As for the technowizard stuff, since they're investing their energy into building things I think it's more reasonable to require the cost in points (for character spirit) and money (for parts). Then again, it might depend on the use of the item and how much you want Technowizards to be able to pump out items of power as well.

Rob