Rifts HERO?

gauss

Re: Rifts HERO?

Actually, PCs that are supposed to be Mega-Damage (like a supernatural being or a 'Borg) DO in fact have a large amount of BODY in my game.

By conversion, a PC is given as much BODY as they have DEF to start.

For example, an objectively converted 'Borg yields 180 MDC --> 27 DEF, 27 BODY.

After conversion, the BODY and DEF are independant of each other.

Example: Hardened 180 MDC --> 22 rDEF, 27 BODY

Interestingly enough, one of my PCs last game was whining (I just have to use that word here) about how he took 2 BODY damage from a couple of Coalition Soldiers. Evidently superheroes gaming has gotten to his head.

But you do raise a good point, and I will indeed lower Penetrating level, since I do not actually see many write-ups that would have Hardened (x2) coming along (Glitter Boy being a likely example).

New Generic Ion Blaster - EB 14d6 (vs. ED); Penetrating (+0.5), 30 Charges (+0.25); OAF (-1), Beam (-0.25), Limited Range (260"; -0.25)

Base Cost: 70 CP

Active Cost: 123 CP

Real Cost: 49 CP

New Generic Particle Beam Blaster - RKA 4.5d6 (vs. ED); Penetrating (+0.5), 30 Charges (+0.25); OAF (-1), Beam (-0.25), Limited Range (260"; -0.25)

Base Cost: 70 CP

Active Cost: 123 CP

Real Cost: 49 CP

Are you doing anything extra for "squishies" in regards to stun damage so they're not CON stunned all the time? My idea at one point was something like a force wall with one charge to simulate armor getting beat up, but the character didn't get hurt till the armor was gone. I can't remember the exact mechanic off the top of my head, but that was the gist of it.

Anyone try putting both Armor and BODY into MDC armors?

Yes, I've done this in the past to simulate tough Powered Armor meant to have the trooper survive extremely heavy combat situations. I also tend to build in some Damage Reduction, but I would recommend that only for Powered Armor and not regular "MDC" body armor.

Extra Stun and Body will go a long way to making "Squishies" last just a bit longer in your game.

I to have been working on a few Rifts HERO writups, as I liked the setting but not the system (and not a lot of the later additions).

Here, for instance, it a Ley Line:

LEY LINES

Ley Line (Average): Forcewall -- 0 rPD / 0 rED, 20†Long, Transparent To Energy and Physical (+1/2), Megascale (MegaArea; 1†= 1 km; +1/4), RE to 0 (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (110 Active Points); Visible (-1/4). Real Cost: 88.

Magical Energy: END Battery (100 END / 100 REC) (110 Active Points); Linked to Forcewall (-1/2). Real Cost: 73.

Celestial Event Energy: Aid 10d6 to END Battery, Fade Rate 5/Day (+1 ½) (250 Active Points); Only During Celestial Events: Eclipses, Planetary Alignments, or Summer/Winter Solstace (-1). Real Cost: 125.

Location of Magic: Change Environment (Area of Overwhelming Magic, -4 PER Roll to Magical Senses), AoE 20†Line (+1 1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Megascale (MegaArea; 1†= 1 km; +1/4), RE to 0 (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Linked to Forcewall (-1/2). Real Cost: 40.

Rift: Extra-Dimensional Movement (to any one random dimension/world), x512 mass, AoE (13†radius; +1), Continuous (+1/2), RE to 0 (+1/2) (195 Active Points); Gate (-1/2), Visible (-1/4), Only On Ley Line Nexus Points (-1/2), Only During Celestial Events: Eclipses, Planetary Alignments, or Summer/Winter Solstace (-1). Real Cost: 60.

Creatures From the Rifts: Summon (up to 1000 points of creatures), RE to 0 (+1/2) (300 Active Points); Activation Roll (11-; -1), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Linked to Extra-Dimensional Movement (-1/2). Real Cost: 86.

Total Points: 472.

I have a lot of other stuff. The math may be a bit off, as my game group uses a lot of house rules, but I am poting here as the supernatural aspects have not really been touched on too much. Most of what I have seen have been about the tech (some of which I have).

My Rifts magic rules:

Creating a Rifts Earth Spellcaster

Everyone carries a small amount of magical energy within them. Spellcasters have trained themselves to become living magical batteries; storing many times that of a normal human. Trained Rifts Earth spellcasters must buy the following abilities:

1. ENDURANCE BATTERY

This represents the amount of mystical energy the character possesses. The END Battery can be of any amount, but cannot exceed more than 10x his normal END. Thus, a normal human cannot possess an END Battery larger than 500 END (50 x 10).

The REC of the END Battery is 5; and the character’s END Battery REC is limited to every Hour (-2 Limitation). Period. Magical Energy does not recover any faster or slower than this. The only way to increase the recovery of magical energy is to steal the energy from another living being or from a ley line.

2. MULTIPOWER

A spellcaster’s Spells are purchased as a Multipower with at least a 50 point Reserve. All slots are ultra-slots and Spells must be purchased with the following Limitations: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), and Spell (-1/2).

3. MAGIC ENERGY THEFT

All spellcasters of Rifts Earth have learned how to draw the mystical energy from living targets or from nearby ley lines. Casters cannot use this ability against another caster, as they are trained enough to keep the energy for themselves.

This ability is brought within the caster’s Multipower, but does not count as a Spell (and thus does not require the above Limitations).

Magic Energy Theft, Target Living Beings: TRANSFER 2d6 (Target’s END to END Battery), Ranged (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Limited Range (10â€; -1/4), Cannot Be Used Versus Other Spellcasters (-1/2). Real Cost: 16 points.

Magic Energy Theft, Ley Line Absorption: AID 5d6 (END Battery) (50 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Only While Near A Ley Line (-1/2). Real Cost: 17 points.

ROBOT VEHICLES (Mecha)

All robot vehicles have the following features.

Pts.

Feature

Power

END

Nuclear Powered

END Battery (500 END / 100 REC) (150 Active Points); OIF (bulky; -1), Side Effects (6 1/2d6 Killing Explosion if BODY damage done to engine; -1)

Radar

360 degree Radar Sense + Multi-Tracking (up to 32 targets) (50 Active Points); OIF (bulky; -1), Sense Affected As Sight Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2)

Targeting Computer

Detect (Enemy Targets), Locate, Radius, Full Analysis, Ranged (+1/2), Megascale (1†= 1 km; +1/4) (44 Active Points); OIF (bulky; -1), Sense Affected As Sight Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/4), Linked To Radar (-1/2), Limited Analysis Of Enemies Based On Databank Information (-1/2), Costs END (-1/2)

Laser Targeting System

+1 OCV with Ranged Attacks (5 Active Points); OIF (bulky; -1), Costs END (-1/2)

Radio Communication

HRRP (10 Active Points); OIF (bulky; -1), Sense Affected As Hearing Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2)

Loudspeaker

Images (Normal Hearing) +4 PER rolls to notice (18 Active Points); Only To Amplify Character’s Voice, up to 80 decibels (-1), OIF (bulky; -1), Linked to Radio Communicator (-1/2)

External Audio Pickup

+3 PER Rolls with Hearing Group (9 Active Points); OIF (bulky; -1), Costs END (-1/2)

Spotlights

Change Environment (Light) +2 PER Rolls with Sight Group, AoE (12†cone; +1 ½), (28 Active Points); OAF (bulky; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2)

Ejection Seat

Telekinesis (26 STR) (26 Active Points); OIF (bulky (-1), No Range (-1/2), Only To Throw Target Straight Up (-2), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 ¼)

Self Destruct

RKA 10d6, NND (ED force field; +1), Does BODY (+1), Trigger (spoken command authorization, +1/4) (487 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Extra Time (once activated, takes 1 Minute to arm and detonate; -1 ½), 1 Charge Which Never Recovers (-4)

Voice-Actuated Locking System

Sensor Operations (18-) (17 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Only To Keep Vehicle Locked (bypassed with proper voice authorization; -1/2)

Environmental Pilot and Crew Compartment

LS vs. Heat, Cold, Radiation, High Pressure, Low Pressure/Vacuum (17 Active Points); OIF (bulky (-1)

Oxygen Supply

LS vs. Breathing, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge of 12 Hours (fuel is easy to obtain; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OIF (bulky (-1)

Polarized and Light Sensitive/Adjusting Visor

Flash Defense 5 pts. (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Only Protects Versus Exterior Flashes Against Interior Personnel (-1)

TOTAL

Prodigyduck: Those Robot Vehicle Conversions are almost identical to mine. Good job!

Candid Gamera: While I don't understand the Force Wall aspect; one idea is (now this is going to sound very munchkin) to make the power Summon Ley Line.

But beyond that, I think he is just designing them to be a structured plot device.

Sunday I got World Book 11: Coalition War Campaign. Pretty neat, but it just further justifies HERO conversion.

Note: I was just looking in a retailer magazine called ICV2 and HERO was #8 on Quarter 4 Top 10 RPG lines. Rifts/Palladium was #10.

Just thought I would mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

Triax X-1000 Ulti-Max Power Armor

25 Size Cat: 5 2.5" x 1.4" DCV: -3 KB: -5" 2.5 tons

0 Str: 35

24 Dex: 18

3 Body: 18

42 DEF: 18

12 SPD: 4

16 Running 14" x2

7 Running +3", + 1 DCV, OIF: Boosters (-1/2)

-2 Swimming: 0" [Doesn't float]

3 Extra Limbs: Arms,Legs OIF: (-1/2)

VX-180 Maxi-Rail Gun

4.5d6 RKA vs. PD, AP (+1/2), Autofire 10 (+1), Charges x2 clips of 1000 charges (+1), 245 active

OAF: VX-180 Rail Gun (-1), Beam (-1/4), 2-H (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

81 real

Variable frequency light laser

3d6+1 RKA vs ED, AP (+1/2), 0 END w/backup 40 shot clip (+1), 125 active

OAF: VX-180 Rail Gun (-1), Beam (-1/4), 2-H (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

41 real

5 real +2 OCV w/ VX-180, OAF: Vx-180 (-1)

VX-160 Mini Missile Launchers x2

4d6+1 RKA vs PD, Indirect [can arc around obstacles](+1/2), No range penalty (+1/2), autofire 5(+1/2), Area of Effect: 1 hex (+1/2). 195 active,

OIF:Bulky VX-160 (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Missile travels at 200" per segment w/ a min of 1 extra segment (-1/2), Charges 15 (-0)

65 real +5pts

Increased HtH damage

+6d6 (13d6) EB vs PD, Add Str (+1/2) 45 active, 0 Range (-1/2)

30 real

Rechargeable Force Field

Force field 16/16 ED/PD, 0 End (+1/2) 48 active, Ablative (-1), Cannot fire laser when FF is active (-0)

24 real

Sensor Systems

Infrared (5), Ultraviolet (5), Nightvision (5) Telescopic: +10 vs range (15), Flash Defense: 5pts 35 active, OIF:Bulky Sensor Head (-1)

17 real

Radar Sense (15), 360deg (w/radio group) (10), Telescopic: +4 vs range (6) Detect Broadcast Spectrum Transmissions (5), Transmit (2) 38 active,

OIF:Bulky Sensor Head (-1)

19 real

Life support: No need to breathe (10), All diseases and biowarfare (10), All poisons and chemical warfare (10), Low Pressure/ vacuum, High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat (9)

39 real

+2 OCV w/ Triax X-1000 weapon systems

10 real

+2 w/ Combat Piloting

6 real

472 real

-25 Distinctive Features: Powerful war machine (nonconcealable, Ext)

447/5: 89 pts

Notes: This is more of an adaption than a conversion. It was mostly done by feel. I considered using the force field as a force wall (or extra body), but eventually decided that it wasn't worth the effort. Also, being midway between a power armor and a robot vehicle (leaning more towards the robot) it's manueverable, but not as manueverable as a pure power armor. Oops. Forgot that you can't fire the laser when the FF is active. Not that it matters as I figure a 0pt modifier. The other systems can be fired. DEF might be a tad high. 16 might be a bit better.

Coalition Spider Skull Walker

Size 8

STR 55

DEX 10

BODY 25

DEF 15

SPD 3

Total Characteristic Cost: 99

(10)Spider Legs: +10" Ground Movement (16" total), x4 Noncombat (25 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

(10)Visual Sensors: Infrared Vision and Active UV Vision (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)

(82) C-100R Spider Cannons: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6 (vs. PD), Indirect can be arched over some intervening obstacles (+1/4), +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 250 (charges only recover at Coalition Military base) Charges (+1) (225 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc of Fire 180 Degrees (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

(25)CR-4T Laser Turret: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Increased Maximum Range (1500"; +1/4), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (70 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc of Fire 180 Degrees (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

(5) A second laser turret

(113) Smoke Generator: Darkness to Sight Group 32" radius, 64" long and 4" wide Line (+1/2) (480 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (0 Degrees behind vehicle, only on same horizontal level) (-1), No Range (-1/2), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (charges only recover at Coalition Military base; -1/2), Affected By Wind (-1/4)

(55) Tear Gas Generator: Flash 8d6 (Sight Group), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense solid eye coverings or LS vs. Corrosives (+1), Area Of Effect (48" Radius; +1 1/2) (180 Active Points); Limited Arc of Fire 0 Degrees behind vehicle (-3/4), Only on the same horizontal level (-1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (charges only recover at Coalition Military base; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Affected By Wind (-1/4)

(179) Standard Robot Vehicle Features (see above post)

Total Powers Cost 479

Disads

(20)Distinctive Features: Coalition Death's Head Motif (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

(10)Hunted: Coalition Military 11- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area)

(10)Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Magnetic Attacks (Uncommon)

(5)Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Sonic Attacks (Uncommon)

NG-V7 Hunter Mobile Gun

35 Size Cat 7 5"x2.5" 34 tons DCV -4 KB -9"

10 Str 55 11d6

15 Dex 15 OCV/DCV 5

5 Body 22

48 DEF 18

15 SPD 4

4 High Density: Knockback Resistance: -2"

Crew: (2) Pilot + Gunner + up to 4 passengers

3 Extra Limbs: Arms, legs (5) OIF (-1/2)

34 Running: 23" x2

-2 Swimming: 0" [Doesn't float]

NG-H155 Howitzer Rail Gun

5.5d6 RKA, AP (+1/2), Area Effect: 31" Radius (+1), Autofire 5 (+1), Indirect(+1/4: can be arced over some terrain and obstructions), Charges: 5,000 x2 (+1) 403 active

OIF: Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

161 real

Forearm Rocket Launchers (x2)

4d6+1 RKA vs PD, Indirect [can arc around obstacles](+1/2), No range penalty (+1/2), Autofire 5(+1/2), Area of Effect: 1 hex (+1/2). 195 active

OIF:Forearm Rocket Launcher (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Missile travels at 200" per segment w/ a min of 1 extra segment (-1/2), Charges 9 (-1/4)

60 real + 5

NG-330 Heavy Laser

4d6 RKA, AP (+1/2), 0 End (+1/2) 90 active

OIF:Bulky NG-330 (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

36 real

Increased HtH damage

+6d6 (17d6) EB vs PD, Add Str (+1/2) 45 active, 0 Range (-1/2)

30 real

Sensor Systems

Infrared (5), Ultraviolet (5), Nightvision (5) Telescopic: +10 vs range (15), Flash Defense: 5pts 35 active,

OIF:Bulky Visual Sensor package (-1)

17 real

Radar Sense (15), 360deg (w/radio group) (10), Telescopic: +10 vs range (15) Detect Broadcast Spectrum Transmissions (5), Transmit (2) 47 active,

OIF:Bulky Radio Sensor package (-1)

23 real

Floodlights (x3)

Images: Sight +4 Per, Increased Radius: 4" (+1/2), 0 End (+1/2) 50 active

OAF: Bulky (-1 1/2), Only for light (-1)

14 real +10

Life support: No need to breathe (10), All diseases and biowarfare (10), All poisons and chemical warfare (10), Low Pressure/ vacuum, High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat (9)

39 real

10 +2 OCV w/ NG-V7 Weapon Systems

572 pts

-25 Distinctive Features: powerful warmachine (nonconcealable,ext)

-15 Physical Lim: Top Heavy (freq, greatly: prone to falling, difficult to manuever, etc)

532/5= 106pts

Notes: The Area of Effect on the howitzer represents the 'steel rain' effect of pouring thousands of projectiles into an area rather than an explosive shell. I was going to reduce the radius but decided the heck with it. It is a howitzer regardless of what Rifts says. I do realize this makes it somewhat more powerful than the Rifts version, but heck with it. And hey, I remembered to add the floodlights this time. ;)

It could also benefit from some Ranged Skill levels.

• 2 months later...

Here's something that I am still rying to work out: Credits.

I am not sure how a Credit compares to a dollar.

I wish that Rifts contained a brief guide to the Rifts-Earth economy, much like D&D explains Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Copper pieces.

Perhaps we could work something out?

I have looked at the books, and I can say, without a doubt...

The Credits system makes NO SENSE. The monetary values of things do not seem to have any rhyme or reason; seemingly applied randomly to devices, depending on how hard the authors decided they want things in the books for PC to get ahold of...

Do your own thing.

That's the conclusion that I came to as well.

It's almost good enough to be legal defense maneuver (see The Chewbacca Defense).

I think that I may need assistance in creating a proper credit system.

I probably could use the Star HERO price chart as a basis; that would be a good start...

I did find a little online thesis about Credits:

The Trouble with Credits

The currency of the modern, civilized world of Rifts Earth is "credits" -- electronic money kept and accounted for by a sophisticated, computerized banking system. Credits can be wire transferred at most CS cities, towns, burbs and outposts, or encoded on "debit cards," small sturdy, plastic cards very similar to pre-Rifts credit cards or telephone cards. Each time the "debit" card is used, the appropriate amount of credits is deducted from the card. When all the credits are used up, the card can be thrown away or saved and taken to an appropriate banking institution, money lender, or merchant to have credits in a savings account transferred onto the card for future use. Similarly, many businesses, banks, money lenders and even the Black Market and some travelling merchants can place additional credits into the card by transferring real and existing funds from their account into the card. This can be done as a loan, to make payments to an employee, to pay a bounty, and commonly when the bank, business or merchant purchases goods (gold, silver, furs, guns, magic items, ancient artifacts, etc.).

The government of the Coalition States (representing 73% of all trade on the continent) is the one responsible for creating this system of money exchange and accounting. It prevents counterfeiting and enables the government (who controls the banking) to monitor the flow of money and commerce. For this reason, the Black Market, arms dealers, smugglers and many operating in the sale and purchase of illegal goods and services prefer to "trade" goods for goods rather than issue "credits" as an effective way to pay and trade people "under the table."

"Universal Credits" are the most common and popular form of credits instituted by the Coalition States. Universal credits are good with all merchants, businesses, and banks throughout the Coalition States, as well as in the New German Republic and many independent kingdoms, nations and businesses including Northern Gun, the Manistique Imperium, Wellington Industries, Wilk’s, Iron Heart Armaments, Golden Age Weaponsmiths, Free Quebec, Whykin, Lazlo, New Lazlo, and most Midwest and eastern communities, including the Black Market (although front companies and cover identities are necessary for the latter). Most mercenaries, adventurers, bandits and people of North America will accept Universal Credits as a viable currency! Universal Credits is the main currency of North America.

Since the Coalition States are strong and stable, there is little danger of the credits becoming devalued or of the banks going out of business. Furthermore, because the system is based on "redeemable" Universal Credits typically available to the "bearer" of the card, it is safe to put thousands, even millions of credits on one or more cards and use the money/credits freely, just about anywhere, without question. In this regard, the CS is unbelievably tolerant in its dealings with questionable businesses. For this system of banking and money exchange to collapse, the Coalition States would have to completely change its banking and monetary system (a monumental and disruptive task), or be destroyed. Ironically, this creates a subtle and bizarre interdependence and symbiotic relationship with both the supporters and enemies of the States!

"Marked" or "Personalized" debit cards in which the funds are available only to one or two specific individuals can also be issued, but each transaction with that card will be recorded, identifying the user, what he or she purchased, and where, giving the Coalition watchdogs potentially incriminating information.

Some independent nations, kingdoms, organizations (like the Black Market) and businesses with numerous outlets throughout the land issue their own form of "credits" on debit cards via an independent banking institution. Individuals who despise the Coalition may elect to use these instead of the CS Universal Credits. Likewise, citizens and supporters of that community or institution may also prefer to use their own credit system, however there are problems with this. First, the security of the credits is based entirely on the stability of the kingdom or organization that issued them. Obviously, such places are much more unstable and vulnerable to disaster than the CS. Second, since the CS will not recognize most other nations and never accepts foreign credits, these money cards have an extremely limited value. In many cases these independent debit cards are only accepted in the kingdom that issued them and worthless everywhere else (and another reason the CS Universal Credits are so popular).

Lazlo and New Lazlo, Tolkeen, and a handful of other independent kingdoms and cities have their own form of "credit" system, but only the joint efforts of Northern Gun and the Manistique Imperium have managed to establish a banking and credits/debit system that is accepted and used at many locations throughout the country. Typically, any seller of Northern Gun (NG) and Imperium (MI) weapons and equipment (both using the same credits system and debit cards) will usually accept NGMI debit cards redeemable for credits that can be used at these Upper Michigan kingdoms and with all NG and MI "authorized" gun shops, merchants and traders, as well as most 'Burbs. Furthermore, a handful of other independent towns, cities, merchants and traveling shows use or accept NGMI cards, including Lazlo, New Lazlo, Kingsdale, Ciudad Juarez, and scattered towns in the Pecos Empire, Lone Star, and Magic Zone.

The third credits/debit system to rival the NGMI and challenge the CS Universal Credits is that of the Black Market. Their debit card is a simple, encoded black plastic card. It is good at virtually all Black Market operations scattered throughout the world, including the Coalition States, and accepted by all official Black Market agents, operatives and freelancers, as well as by most Juicers, Crazies, Gunslingers, Bounty Hunters, mercenaries, spies, smugglers, bandits and criminals of all kind. Black Credits, as this illegal, underground system of banking and debit cards are known, is welcome at Coalition Burbs, most Body-Chop-Shops, the Pecos Empire, and many (not all) merchants and businesses at Tolkeen, New Lazlo, Whykin, Kingsdale, Free Quebec, Lone Star and scattered towns in the New West.

• 4 weeks later...