WuXia Hero

Re: WuXia Hero

If you need ideas' date=' and I can't recommend it enough, go to my page's resources section and click on the link to the online novel "The Book and the Sword" (aka "Romance of Book and Sword", which will be officially published here in North America next month as well, by co-incidence...), it was the first full WuXia novel I read and is about secret WuXia societies during the Qing dynasty battling it out with the Manchus. Amazing stuff, and inspired my first WuXia campaign in a major way. [/quote']

Very cool. I'll check that out.

It's ironic, the Manchu actually FIXED the Empire a Ming dynasty had thoroughly trashed, but because they weren't "real Chinese" nobody really respected them. Yeah some of them were right B*stards, but overall they were pretty good rulers in reality.

Yeah, I love that. I'm making them a tad more villainous than that, but for the most part, it's just so in-genre for the main reason to hate the Manchu to just be that they're Manchu.

Excellent move, that's why I plan to use that idea in my next WuXia campaign too. The first time I tried WuXia I let their Qi powers runoff normal END, and boy was that a mistake!

I'm very fast and loose when it comes to ch'i powers. I don't mind them having some, as long as they make sense. I encourage everyone to have Flight, Only On Surfaces, and putting at least a few more inches into Leaping is practically mandatory (IIRC, everyone took RSR: Acrobatics with these as well, but it wasn't required). Our swordsman has four or five cool sword-based powers in his Invincible Heavenly Sword MP (an AP +1 STUN HKA, a AoE: Line "Sword Energy" attack, an AoE: Selective Radius HKA, and a PD FF, all bought OIF: Sword), but since each of them costs around 4 END and his Ch'i Reserve is only 30 END, he really has to keep track of things. In that last fight, he used up around 10 END, so it's no big deal, but the fact that he can't recover END without meditating is. Once they're in a situation where they'll have to deal with multiple combat encounters with no downtime, it'll be a serious consideration.

Actually, now that I think about it, one of the characters-- Old Fox, with his Sleeping Fist style (and if you haven't seen "Sleeping Fist," see it)-- only recovers his ch'i reserve while sleeping, not meditating.

How many points are your characters based on?

250. 150 Base + 100 Disads. Kind of a lot for a ostensibly heroic game, I know, but it gives them enough points to have MA, an MA-based MP, and all the skills they need.

NCM is mandatory for Primary Characteristics, but one Primary can be as high as 25 with no penalty (the swordsman has a 23 DEX and Old Fox has a 25 INT; the monk managed to keep them all 20 or below). Starting SPD is limited to 5, with mook-level SPD being 3 or 4.

Powers are limited to 60 AP, with my approval. The AP cap is that high only to allow for various advantages that some characters need on their powers to make them "work" properly. F'rinstance, Old Fox has the equivalent of a dim mak attack that only affects the target when the target falls asleep. There's no way it could've been built properly on 30 AP. I think the biggest attack anyone's dished out was 9d6, and that was by an NPC (Iron Arm Tang, who whacked the monk in the side of the head with the iron bracer on his forearm).

Anyway, it's been fun so far.