Sidekick for PA one shot

Reynard

Hey all

I am planning on running a Post Apocalyptic one shot adventure (more Fallout than Gamma World) for a super small con/game day in a couple of weeks. After considering d20 Modern (and GW that goes with it -- which I worked on), Darwin's World, Tri-Stat dX, and Adventure, I decided on using HERO becuase I want to introduce my group to the system without forcing them to swallow the whole supers level HERO system (which can be a bit daunting for newbies). So, my question(s):

Does anyone have extensive experience using HERO for PA games? Any advice on character and/or villain generation?

Does anyone have any general advice for using Sidekick with HERO newbies? Should I pick up a couple extra copies and have them cretae characters? Should I use pre-gens? Any snags or wonkiness I should be aware of?

Thanks all.

Re: Sidekick for PA one shot

Well, I still haven't picked up Sidekick, but in general, I'd say go with pre-gens. You want to get into the game as quickly as possible, and getting bogged down in all the options available won't help with that.

I'd probably write up some pre-gens, but leave some points unspent. That will let the guys see a glimpse of the chargen rules and let them customize their characters to an extent, and will let you make sure the characters aren't hopelessly mismatched to each other or to the adventure you have planned with a minimum of fuss.

I would check out the Hero Links ... I know there's some infor there on PA Hero Campaigns ... as well as looking on HeroCentral for the Savage Earth Campaign IIRC

Thanks for the plug, but I think Savage Earth is far more "Gamma World" than "Fallout", if I understand correctly. (Fallout is more Day After-ish?)

You might want to look atWasteland Hero for some more gritty stuff.

Keith "Thundaar" Curtis

So, I picked up the Hero System Bestiary yesterday and am very pleased with the purchase. between the regular animals, the templates, and the robots, I should be able to populate my Fallout-style one shot pretty easily. The only porblem is that I have only run Hero a few times, and not recently (and not 5th Ed.) so I am a little wary on how to balance encounters. Assuming a group of a half dozen 100+50 Heroic characters, how many points makesa good challenge? How "big" should a single monster be, versus a pack of them? And what kind of heavy weaponry can I have the PCs discover before the climactic battle.

Basically, I would like an intro scene, a role-play scene, and skill based scene, 2 short combat scenes, and one big fight scene, and I want to do it all in 4 to 6 hours. Can this be done?

Thanks, all.

Reynard

aka Ian Eller

Game Writer Type Guy