Ninja Hero:Pai Mei

nexus

This is my first attempt to write up a movie character. I'm not entirely pleased with it. Mainly the Heart Explode Technique and his skill list seems a little skimpy for such a venerable character. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Its written for a Heroic level Wild Martial Arts game.

Pai Mei

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 HTH damage

22 DEX 42 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

6 PD 3 Total: 6 PD (0 rPD)

5 ED 2 Total: 5 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 8 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 2

30 STUN 5 Total Characteristics Cost: 102

Movement: Run: 6"/NC"

Swim: 2"/NC"

Cost Powers END

227 "Five Finger Heart Explode technique": Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 7d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), No Normal Defense (Hardened Defense, lack of weaknes) Standard (+1), Does BODY (+1) (341 Active Points); Limited Power:All or nothing Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) 16

23 "Three Inch Punch": Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. PD) (40 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Does not work if completely restrained/based on Strength Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4) 4

9 "Eye Pluck": +6 vs. specific OCV modifier for hit locations with Eagle Talon attack

6 "Perfect Balance": Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Only to perch on impossible surfaces Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4)

Martial Arts: MA NAME

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 1) Tsien hsueh Strike -1 +1 3 1/2d6 NND

3 2) Joint Lock/Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, +25 STR for holding on

3 3) Legsweep +2 -1 STR +4d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 4) Punch +0 +2 STR +5d6 Strike

4 5) Eagle Claw +0 +0 STR +7d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

4 6) Eagle Talon -2 +0 HKA 1d6

Skills

13 Analyze: Style 17-

7 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 13-

8 KS: Kung Fu Styles (INT-based) 17-

4 Language: Mandarin (idiomatic)

4 Language: Cantonese (idiomatic)

3 Language: Japanese (completely fluent)

7 PS: Sifu (INT-based) 16-

7 WF: Axes, Maces, Hammers, and Picks, Blades, Chain & Rope Weapons, Hook Sword, Staffs, Three-Section Staff, War Fan, Wind and Fire Wheels

30 +6 with HTH Combat

15 +3 with DCV

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 407

Total Cost: 509

125+ Disadvantages

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

5 Distinctive Features: Older Chinese man with long white beard, mustache and hair. (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

10 Enraged: Shown any form of disrespect (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-

15 Reputation: The man who destroyed the Shao Lin 11- (Extreme)

15 Psychological Limitation: Chauvinistic and bigoted (Common; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Arrogant, despises weakness in any form (Common; Strong)

324 Experience

Total Disadvantage Points: 509

Re: Ninja Hero:Pai Mei

I'd build the Finger Finger Exploding Heart Technique as a BODY Drain, possibly with Standard Effect, more or less along the lines of the dim mak stuff outlined in UMA/Ninja Hero. When Uma used it, she needed to land five blows around the victim's heart for it to work, so making it necessary to hit a specific Hit Location might be good (I might suggest the "Only After Five Strikes" Limitation, but he shouldn't have to abide by that-- he's Pai Mei!). Also, it needs Trigger: After Target Takes Five Steps.

I think he needs a lot more martial arts in his package, and/or a couple different styles. It looked like he was training Uma in some kind of crane or mantis style, so that might be a start. Also, he needs a KS on his own style(s), whatever that/they may be.

May as well make his DEX 23 instead of 22; it'll raise his CV and up his DEX-based skill rolls. Likewise, he needs even more CSLs, IMO. He's just impossible to hit.

Instead of Clinging, I'd go with Flight, Only On Surfaces, and say that he was "hovering" on Uma's sword.

Might want to buy the "eye pluck" as a Transform, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'd ditch the NCM, or just not sweat spending a lot more points. This is Pai Mei the Indisputable Badass. IMO, he doesn't follow the same restrictions as us mere mortals. However, he didn't actually "destroy" the Shao Lin; there are still Shao Lin around today (playing soccer, even!). The story Bill told, IIRC, was with regards to one Shao Lin monk who made the mistake of not notcing Pai Mei's courtesy.

But what a kick-ass guy, huh?

Where's the vulnerability to poison??

Interestingly, I think Pai Mei is suppose to translate to "White Brow". It's actually a fairly common character in many WuXia novels. Usually an enlightened Taoist mentor who's achieved the status of "god on earth". Which is to say that he is usually already a legend in your sifu's youth but shows up every once in a while to pass on knowledge to those with potential.

I might add a Telekinesis, only with swords, to simulate how he can sheathe the sword at a distance.

Plucky

@ Plucky: Yes, Pai Mei is a recurring villain. Gordon Liu himself played the role of Pai Mei in at least two other movies besides Kill Bill, IIRC.

@ ShinHakkaider: Ehm. :) Pai Mei blocks the Bride's kick and holds her foot thanks to his body control alone in Kill Bill too. But IIRC this ability is explained fully in Executioners of Shaolin, where Pai Mei (also played by Gordon Liu) is said to have the ability to retract his testicles inside his body, thanks to his powerful kung fu. :shock: I must track down that movie and see it again.

@ ShinHakkaider: Ehm. :) Pai Mei blocks the Bride's kick and holds her foot thanks to his body control alone in Kill Bill too. But IIRC this ability is explained fully in Executioners of Shaolin' date=' where Pai Mei (also played by Gordon Liu) is said to have the ability to retract his testicles inside his body, thanks to his powerful kung fu. :shock: I must track down that movie and see it again.[/quote']

There are 2 commonly known kung fu that can protect people from physical damage. One is called the "Iron Shirt" and the other is called "Armor of the Golden Bell" (though the image that comes to mind is usually someone in a human-size condom thanks to Naked Gun). High mastery of these kung fu, particularly "Armor of the Golden Bell" is frequently associated with being able to retract testicles.

Interestingly, in the Royal Tramp (starting Stephen Chow), there was a part where they tried to figure out how to defeat someone who can do that.

Plucky

Where's the vulnerability to poison??

Doesn't he just have the same Vulnerability: Poison that the rest of us have? I mean, just because that's what happened to kill him, it doesn't mean he's especially "vulnerable" to it.

Interestingly, I think Pai Mei is suppose to translate to "White Brow". It's actually a fairly common character in many WuXia novels. Usually an enlightened Taoist mentor who's achieved the status of "god on earth". Which is to say that he is usually already a legend in your sifu's youth but shows up every once in a while to pass on knowledge to those with potential.

Hmm... White Eyebrow style?

I might add a Telekinesis, only with swords, to simulate how he can sheathe the sword at a distance.
I dunno. I'd just call that dramatic license.

@ Plucky: Yes, Pai Mei is a recurring villain. Gordon Liu himself played the role of Pai Mei in at least two other movies besides Kill Bill, IIRC.

@ ShinHakkaider: Ehm. :) Pai Mei blocks the Bride's kick and holds her foot thanks to his body control alone in Kill Bill too. But IIRC this ability is explained fully in Executioners of Shaolin, where Pai Mei (also played by Gordon Liu) is said to have the ability to retract his testicles inside his body, thanks to his powerful kung fu. :shock: I must track down that movie and see it again.

Actually Pai Mei is played by Lo Lieh in Executioners of Shaolin. Gordon Liu IS in Executioners as well but he dies near the beginning of the movie.

Lo Lieh also plays a Pai Mei type character who is intent on avenging the death of the actual Pai Mei in Fists of the White Lotus.

If you have a multi region DVD player Executioners is available on region 3 DVD. It's the best print that I've ever seen of this movie and I've seen various prints of this for over 20 years. I picked it up fo $13.99 in Chinatown here in NYC. There are places online that you can order it from namely http://www.HKflix.com.

Actually Pai Mei is played by Lo Lieh in Executioners of Shaolin. Gordon Liu IS in Executioners as well but he dies near the beginning of the movie.

Lo Lieh also plays a Pai Mei type character who is intent on avenging the death of the actual Pai Mei in Fists of the White Lotus.

My memory-fu is weak. :idjit:

You're right, I stand corrected.

If you have a multi region DVD player Executioners is available on region 3 DVD. It's the best print that I've ever seen of this movie and I've seen various prints of this for over 20 years. I picked it up fo $13.99 in Chinatown here in NYC. There are places online that you can order it from namely http://www.HKflix.com.

Hmm, time to get a multiregion player. Thanks for the link, ShinHakkaider!

• 2 weeks later...

Well White EyeBrow (Pai Mei) Was said to have betrayed the Xiaolin by opening their temple gates to the Manchu, for money. There are now many stories and legends about him. He did develope the White Eyebrow style though. I was suprised to hear they had him using Eagle Claw in the Kill Bill movies.

Well White EyeBrow (Pai Mei) Was said to have betrayed the Xiaolin by opening their temple gates to the Manchu' date=' for money. There are now many stories and legends about him. He did develope the White Eyebrow style though. I was suprised to hear they had him using Eagle Claw in the Kill Bill movies.[/quote']

Using his own White Eyebrow style to defeat that upstart woman woud've been too much of an honor. :)