Most Ridiculous Rules Interpretation Ever?

verbosity

Okay, here's a good one for you:

Q - What's the most outlandish interpretation of the rules that you ever witnessed anyone genuinely try to pull off?

Make sure to set up their (your?) "interesting" interpretation of the rules and propose whether or not the proponent actually believed the lunacy they were spouting or were just attempting to BS their way through the situation.

Oh yeah, and did it work? :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once saw a guy I played with (let's call him Steve) convince a GM that he should be allowed to have an NND Entangle. His defense was that it was only "1d6". It worked for about 1 game -- then the GM was wised up by several players.

Holy Cow!!! Checkout CKC page 135, first column, bottom... wonder how *that* ended up in there??

Andy :eek:

More of a metarules interpretation...

So in a FH game, they had worked their way to the hidden room where the death ward they had read about which promised to syck the life from anyone entering was present. After some experimentation they realized it had been weakened and was a slow death effect now and was "effectively" a body destruction.

So the other got ready to start translating the runes and figure out another way in to bypass the wards when the paladin-esque player suggested he go in, he was willing to sacrifice himself to get the trniket they needed.

After some disagreements and arguments, he proceeded in. I was impressed with his "roleplaying" and so forth.

By the time he was out, he had lost 4 body from the destruction effect. The player seemed unfazed and ready to proceed and even roleplayed the character as a little tired.

The next day he handed me the new character sheet where he had reallocated those 8 points from the lost 4 body into skill bonuses and a new minor magical trick (some aid thingy iirc.)

Dumbfounded, i told him "you lost those points, that body is gone, think of it like a long long term drain."

"Yeah, I know they are gone, but in hero gone means you get the points back. So here you go."

Still surprised but now understanding the reason behind his willingness to step in and such... he saw it as "freeing up points" not losing health.. I said "No. Losing stats due to hostile force is just that, losing."

He began to rail and rant...

"I was on the original playtest for this damn game. I know what I am talking about, In champions you never lose points, that would throw off all the balance. I get those points back now here is my sheet."

"Can you show me a rule?"

"I dont need a rule the whole book says so. I was on the poriginal playtest team, my name is in the book for chrissakes. I know thats understood, everybody knows it but you."

"Your name is in the book? Where?"

"It was, though, of course not my real name. look, do i get my points or not?"

"No, i am sorry although you should understand that I did plan on future storylines restoring..."

"Thats it! I am outta here. i will find a GM who knows the first thing about champions."

He never played with us again.

A person created a tiered system for their character. He had four 'gears' and each had a new and harder activation roll to turn on. He was built in such a way that fourth gear had the multiplier of a -15, -13, -11, and -8 all stacked together. I swear that if you took away all his limitations you were looking at close to 1200 pts worth of powers on a 350 game.

Had to chime in on this one...

Remember the whole "talking takes zero time" rule?

Well, we had a group that believed it all the way.

If a threat would come up, we had a team meeting on what to do about it that took 3 hours REAL TIME, even when the threat was immediate! The rule was intended as for use with one-liners and sililoquies.

We ended up having one session of briefing, one session of action, and one session of debriefing!

Originally posted by The_Hero

Had to chime in on this one...

Remember the whole "talking takes zero time" rule?

Well, we had a group that believed it all the way.

If a threat would come up, we had a team meeting on what to do about it that took 3 hours REAL TIME, even when the threat was immediate! The rule was intended as for use with one-liners and sililoquies.

We ended up having one session of briefing, one session of action, and one session of debriefing!

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

"Talking takes no time, so I'm going to give complete battle orders, and discuss things with my teammates."

I can't believe the GM let me get away with that.

D

I had a GM once who thought that Elemental Controls should be just that, Elemental. The powers had to be based on earth, air, fire or water or some derivative thereof. So no mental powers, gravity powers, light powers, etc. I tried to explain that Elemental Control just meant a common element among the powers but he wouldn't listen. It still makes me grit my teeth when I think about it.

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

A person created a tiered system for their character. He had four 'gears' and each had a new and harder activation roll to turn on. He was built in such a way that fourth gear had the multiplier of a -15, -13, -11, and -8 all stacked together. I swear that if you took away all his limitations you were looking at close to 1200 pts worth of powers on a 350 game.

Sound like Quantum from Dragon Magazine #111.

A 3rd Edition character built on 643 points. But the character had 5 different power levels (quantum levels), each harder to reach, and each level was actually 300 points.

Level 1-Normal state, weak powers.

Level 2-Normal fighting level, +1 Limitation (3rd ed., remember)

Level 3-Hurt or angry, 1 game in 3, +2 Lim.

Level 4-Rarely reached, +4 Lim. (?!?!)

Level 5-Goddess Level, +8 Lim. (Ouch)

Level 1: 25 STR, 23 DEX, 4 SPD, 10 PD/ED, 10/10 FF, 10d6 EB.

Level 5: 65 STR, 43 DEX, 12 SPD, 30 PD/ED, 30/30 FF, 26d6 EB.

Also various levels of Flight, RKA Ranged END Drain, Radius Flash, Entangle, Force Wall, Telekinesis (130 STR at Level 5), Desolidification, Invisibility, Power defense, Ego Defense, Flash defense, Lack of Weakness, Life Support, Regeneration , Danger Sense, and enhanced senses.

All for 643 points.

(Oops. Just looked more closely at the article. The character was created by George MacDonald.) :)

Not a Hero rule, but an M:tG rule. There was a card that said the opponent would "Lose next turn". Someone tried to argue that meant he would lose the game on the next turn. :rolleyes:

I had a player in a Champions game want to be invulnerable. THat was OK. I let him use a mechanic a villain was using: Desolidifcation+Str affects real world. He wasn't even a big brick, which was a deciding factor. I let him have a ARW gun. He also asked for a jet belt with several levels of NCM to get around from place to place. Wonder of wonders, when the game starts, he tries to do a non-combat move-by on a villain. He blew the DC cap out of the water by several factors.

I tried to quell it by stating he couldn't use non-combat velocity for a combat maneuver. He correctly pointed out you could, at a penalty. I finally told him he was violating the spirit of the game. He pouted and said that the move through was how he had envisioned the character and if he couldn't do it, he wouldn't play it.

Sheesh! "envisioned the character" my big toe. If he had "envisioned the character" that way, why didn't he mention it to me during the design process? Why the wimpy gun?

He didn't play the character again.

Keith "GMing with an iron fist" Curtis

My flying brick did noncombat move throughs all the time. Even more fun, the non-combat, power dive move throughs... wheeee.

Did the desolid guy realize that he would still take his fair share of the maneuver damage since he could still affect himself and it was his maneuver?

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

I actually knew someone who thought that you could fire two powers together in 4th Edition without taking the Linked Limitation. ;)

Interestingly enough, apparently Bruce Harlick and Steve Peterson thought that too! Boy, they musta had egg on their faces....

;)

First edition Fantasy Hero had an Advantage called Variable Result. It let you do things like change the allocation of PD and ED in Force Field, change the target of your Aid or Drain, etc. I used it on a Champions character with Multiform. This was under 3rd edition rules, my Multiform was something like 130 base points. So I ended up with the ability to basically be any 650 point character I could think of.

The GM went with it, probably because it was a solo campaign. And I ended up sticking with one single form, a character that had a 300 point Variable Power Pool linked to Shapeshift.

The only rules raping I can think of would be Tashi the skunk that was more dense than the planet earth. I don't know how many levels she had but the player had worked the math and she literally weighed more than the planet earth, all on 250 pts. This was also the character without a brain...

Tashi had Desol Only vs mental powers.:D

Unfortunately I was never able to purloin the character sheet to peruse the 10 pages of scribbles:D

Elemental controls within elemental controls.

Multipowers within multipowers.

Don't even ask how.

I vetoed it, naturally.

Then there are plenty of special effects/advantages matchups that were just wrong. "I'll build a gun that fires cold beams and make it NND v. Flash Defense." to which I ask, "Uh... explain how Flash D would counter cold?"

Originally posted by Acroyear

Not for the first 3 editions they didn't... or at least such usage was so rare I never saw it happen :)

The way I heard it, that's how it was supposed to be all along, and that's how the original Hero partners played it. Apparently someone forgot to actually put it in the book.

I believe I got this from a conversation with Steve Long a couple of years ago.