Most Ridiculous Rules Interpretation Ever?

verbosity

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Haerandir

I once knew a guy who convinced his GM to let him buy a vehicle (a motorcycle) that could Multiform into a battlesuit. So, every point he spent from the main character turned into 25 points worth of battlesuit. Not a bad little force multplier...

You would hate the character I am working on:

A Summons on a multiform on a duplication on a vehicle

Originally posted by Mayday

My first GM built Mayday (a human mentalist) with ego powers on the limitation OAF (-1) Head.

LOL!! I like that one....

I'm sure if I thought back on the 10+ years I've been playing Champions, I could think of some real doozies but the one the leaps out first is this:

I was playing a solo game where I was going up against a vampire and doing quite well, I might add. All of a sudden the vampire pulls back and begins staring at me. The GM rolls 3d6 and says "O.k, they pass....this creature of the night is looking pretty good to you, if ya know what I mean". (wink, wink)...... Not understanding what he meant, I asked and the gm said that the vampire was using the Seduction skill. I had to remind him that a). I don't think it would work in the middle of a heated combat, B). a skill can't really 'make' someone do something (especially without some sort of ego roll) and c). the vampire was a MAN!!!!, as was my character, and that I/he didn't swing that way!! (..not that there's anything wrong with it...lol) I'll admit he was new to Gm'ing and Champions, but it's still a crack up...at least to me :)

Doc

Originally posted by archer

The way I heard it, that's how it was supposed to be all along, and that's how the original Hero partners played it. Apparently someone forgot to actually put it in the book.

I believe I got this from a conversation with Steve Long a couple of years ago.

Well, I have no recollection of ever seeing them do it. Which is why I say that it either wasn't the case or something rather rare for them to actually do (perhaps due to the rarity of having multiple attack powers that could be fired at once as characters seemed to be designed then). We took more than a few queues from how they played when they were around. I mean, who would know better than them? :)

Perhaps the most ridiculous rules interpretation issue I had the pleasure of sitting in on had to be when one of my fellow players, playing a cosmic-style teleporter, tried to teleport a huge nuclear missile to the far side of the moon.

When the GM considered the teleporter's teleport power level and the mass of the missile, he ruled that the character couldn't do it. The player railed against this, wondering what the GM meant by "mass." When the GM tried to explain what "mass" was, the player went ballistic.

I'm no longer certain how the discussion got into "mass" and "density," but it did. The GM tried to explain that mass and density were different, that density was the amount of mass within a certain volume. But the player insisted that mass and density were the same thing and that volume was a term used only in terms of liquids. When a third party observer brought down his high school science text book that explained exactly was "mass" and "density" were, the player called the science book "stupid."

To this day, my friends and I crack jokes about "mass" and "density" at the expense of this player.

A close second to this had to be another player who was a wargamer more than a roleplayer. Every time he built his character (a sorceress with a hyper-efficient EC for her spells), the GM would somehow be able to damage that character with an attack. Every time the GM scored a hit during an adventure, the player would go back to HeroMaker to completely rebuild his character to make her completely immune to the attack that harmed her that session. When the GM confronted the player on this, the player's response was that the program allowed him to do it so it must be legal.

Needless to say, I don't play with either of these players any longer.

Well lets see, a friend of mine took Does Not Affect Figured Characteristics on Speed once...

Another one put his End Reserve in a Multipower- there wasn't a hard set rule against it in 4th edition, but I couldn't really see how he could justify that. 500pts of endurance for 3 points in an ultra slot. Nuh Uh.

Then in my Cyberpunk campaign (which had elements of magic in it, ala Shadowrun) I said that the damage cap for a character would be 60pts. So then the first session this guy shows me his character who has a 4d6 HKA sword and 30 strength giving him a 6d6 HKA. He didn't see the problem. :rolleyes:

Then there was this one guy who had a set of magical robes that gave him wind powers. We all wondered how he could be so powerful- turns out he took Independent on EVERYTHING. In our game we ruled that Independent allowed enemies to use your items while Foci just meant that only you could use that particular item. He took it just a little too far. He was supposed to be this big magic wielding character, yet the only magic he wielded was a summoning spell to bring his robes to him (Instant Change).

Of course, there was a time when I remade my sonic-wielding character almost every session because I felt I could never get him quite right. The GM never minded me doing it, but it was pretty funny that my character sported completely different powers each time. I got a lot of flack for that one (which I rightly deserved).

Oh, then there was this other time when I pointed out to the group that you had to make your autofire roll by every 2pts to successfully hit your target successively. They had been playing for 5 years that you got to hit the target by every 1pt you make your roll by, and they all said "We think we know how to play the game, smart ass". I whipped out the Rulebook, flipped to autofire and said "But you never actually read anything about it, did you?".

Good times, good times.

Originally posted by Burnout

Another one put his End Reserve in a Multipower- there wasn't a hard set rule against it in 4th edition, but I couldn't really see how he could justify that. 500pts of endurance for 3 points in an ultra slot. Nuh Uh.

This actually occurred in Enemies of San Angelo, as well.

Originally posted by Burnout

Then there was this one guy who had a set of magical robes that gave him wind powers. We all wondered how he could be so powerful- turns out he took Independent on EVERYTHING. In our game we ruled that Independent allowed enemies to use your items while Foci just meant that only you could use that particular item. He took it just a little too far. He was supposed to be this big magic wielding character, yet the only magic he wielded was a summoning spell to bring his robes to him (Instant Change).

Now that is some nice rules-raping. Even if the robes are taken away, he can instant change back to wearing them.

The GM at a convention game I was in ruled that knockback did knockback - so if you hit a wall, if you didn't go thru, you'd bounce off like a pinball. I argued about this a little but I gave up as I didn't want to get in the GM's bad books for prize giving. As it happened, I didn't win a prize anyway.

I had a rash of this when the first HERO computer character creator came out. Rule 1 of my character creation rules quickly became "Just because you can trick the program into giving it to you does not mean it's legal."

Oh, and for a while I believed you could put a Multipower in an Elemental Control.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Flash vs Common Sense

"It just makes them make stupid decisions for the duration"

Would make a good Champions Minus item, though.

One player brought me an uber-hacker character with Transfer 3d6 Wealth to Gadget Pool, Ranged, No Range Penalty, Indirect, Extra Time (hours), OIF Available Computer, Delayed Return Rate (years), Concentration 0 DCV, Gestures, RSR Computer Programming, and number of other limitations piled on.

For very few points after the limitations, he wanted free semi-permanent points for his VPP. To top it off, he tried to convince me that the maximum effect of an adjustment power was per target, so he could add literally hundreds of points to his VPP over time.

We'd argued before, so I told him we weren't using the optional wealth rules to minimize my desire to kill him.

Anyone who has played D&D has played with the guy who tried to use his ring of wishes to wish for unlimited wishes. Well, here is a funny twist on that type of thinking.

I recall a guy who declared his character couldn't be killed because he had wished for 325 PERMANENT hit points.

Oh really? 325? Why not just 1?

We were looking for new playing in an old fashion 250 game back around '91. My friend put up file card at the local game store and got a call from a guy named Phillip. My friend said he didn't think this guy was going to work out because he sounded like a grade-A paste-eater on the phone, but I figured we might be wrong (Axiom #1: Go with your gut). Phillip shows up for the supers game with one of the characters that ticks me off to no end, the displaced D und D character. Two main reasons I loathe this particular type of character, 1) It's trite and shows an inherent lack of imagination for a supers game and 2) everybody I've ever seen playing this type of character has always played it badly. So Phil (I tend to shorten up peoples names whether they want me to or not), hands me this "Golden Paladin" with limitations on the armor and sword like 1 charge and independant. He had managed to get everything down to (-5). I tried explaining it to him, but he insisted that once he turned on the armor and the sword (He defined the armor as summonable and the swords "on" was drawing it), that all he needed was one charge. He got whiney, I let it pass, he started acting like a spaz in game, the other two heroes beat him down royally and his character wound up in jail. We didn't see "Phil" again.

Originally posted by Law Dog

My friend put up file card at the local game store and got a call from a guy named... My friend said he didn't think this guy was going to work out because he sounded like a grade-A paste-eater on the phone, but I figured we might be wrong (Axiom #1: Go with your gut)..shows up for the supers game with one of the characters that ticks me off to no end, the displaced D und D character. Two main reasons I loathe this particular type of character, 1) It's trite and shows an inherent lack of imagination for a supers game and 2) everybody I've ever seen playing this type of character has always played it badly.

Are you my twin? A chronal duplicate of me? A clone?

I could have told this story with 'the names changed to protect the goofball'.

Originally posted by winterhawk

Are you my twin? A chronal duplicate of me? A clone?

I could have told this story with 'the names changed to protect the goofball'.

I'm an alternate personality. Check the IP address. It's YOURS!!!!

Que Twilight Zone music . . . .

On a more serious note . . . I guess there is a limited number or player personalities out there and when certain combinations get together, similar actions occur.

Dear god, -5 to everything? There's a lesson to be learned here- when you get a call from your card on the wall, always meet for the first time somewhere that isn't the gaming table. I've avoided many a moron using this method.

Sometimes personalities don't click, sometimes they're 12 (no offense to you mature 12 year olds on the board), sometimes they're mildly (or not so mildly) retarded.

Besides, its fun to pretend that you don't see the guy who is wearing the "I Loved European Enemies All Night Long" T-Shirt.