Your Gaming Group's Jargon

winterhawk

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your Gaming Group's Jargon

"I abort to bleed.": PC is waaaaaay out, usually down BODY too.

"JIM ROLL!": For the longest time, our GM could not seem to make a damage roll with an average higher than 2.5 on the die. This term drifted to other groups at our game shop as well... and they didn't know who 'Jim' was!:D

"It's a 300-point snotling.": A character that should be as powerful as the party, but really is nowhere close...

"Stingray, speak to me!" (spoken in a high, squeaky voice): Character knocked out in one hit, usually from a humerous circumstance.

"What does that have to do with Chapter 32?" Derives from a game where one of the players was writing a story based on campaign events, from his character's POV. Used to say "Why are we still taking about this instead of gaming?"

Some more I remembered...

"Pulling a Jeffy" or just pointing at someone and saying "Jeffy!" Used when someone either ate everything in sight or ate a lot and still was hungry. Based on a skinny player named Jeff who could, and did more than once, eat half a monster pizza (the rest of the group ate the rest), a half bag of pretzels, 2-4 pops under 1 hour and said "I'm hungry." He was a ranger in the Army reserve and went on a survival trial in the U.S. southwest. We joked he ate at least 3 species to extinction.

"Idiot ranger it" Give it to some poor slob to test for poison/traps/etc. Based on above person's character, a ranger (in D&D) who tested everything, even things everyone knew was trapped.

"Meanwhile, back at the ranch..." Similar to "When we last left our intrepid heroes...." The 'intrepid heros' one was used to get people who were chit-chating out of character. The "ranch" one was used for people roleplaying but ignoring the plot. Also used when the group split up and the GM was shifting between the groups.

Here is one that my group uses...

"Ill conceived"

When referring to a character that is missing a very obvious skill/power OR bought something in a way that does not fit their story. A good example is a private-investigator without PS:Private-Investigator.

"Winowski!": I actually coined this one, from a guy who used to play league Strat-O-Matic Football (and if anybody remembers this pre-PC football simulator game, have a cookie). Mr. Winowski (and his first name is lost to the mists of time) would CONSTANTLY roll his dice off of the table. The term stuck for any time you know the dice are going to go off the table as the result of a wild throw.

"Dan List": Any standardized list of equipment that all adventurers will want at the start of an adventure. Actually named for my best friend, who had wonderful standardized equipment lists for his characters which everyone wanted to copy, but we've actually turned it into an acronym now: "Duty Accessories, Nominal".

"No...Zap, No...Zap!": Energy Projector (or any ranged weapon) used in a desperate manner, particularly in the hands of a villain. Taken from the Star Trek original series episode "Who Mourns For Adonis?" where Apollo is trying to keep the Enterprise from wrecking his temple, the source of his power. "Noooo!"- ZAP!

"White T-Bird": A red herring, when the PCs are feeling particularly paranoid, but a complete, innocent coincidence created by a devious GM to bait the players into making a troublesome mistake. So named because the said white Ford Thunderbird seemed to follow a group of suspicious characters everywhere they went, only to pull off three houses from their safe house. (Rumor had it it was driven by one Roger O. Thornhill.)

"Athenuh..." Fumbling an intelligence or perception roll, so done for a D&D character who had an Intelligence of 3 and a Wisdom of 18, trying to pronounce the Greek Goddess Athena.

"De-Gaussing Dice": allowing another player to roll a set of apparently cursed dice. Taken from naval ships demagnetizing their hulls to prevent magnetic fuses on mines or torpedoes from easily detonating. Generally handed to a player considered to have worse luck than you, under the understanding that they couldn't roll any worse in their hands. (The above-mentioned Dan is often used as he is rumored to have tortured deer in an earlier life as a Roman.)

Other in-house jargon:

"Alt-Control-Smite!"

"What if he bleeds white?" (See the shapeshifting, nihilistic Mellor from Fringeworthy, one of the best villains in any RPG, IMHO, because they have no particular survival instinct. Used in any instance where a Mellor would be a good subsitute villain in the instance.)

"My defense is to bleed on him."

"Swa-Ping!" (I noticed other groups also used "Ping!" to describe a completely ineffectual hit. In our case, a "Swa-Ping" is a highly dramatic version of a "Ping".)

"Abort to Unconsciousness."

"Winowski!": I actually coined this one, from a guy who used to play league Strat-O-Matic Football (and if anybody remembers this pre-PC football simulator game, have a cookie). Mr. Winowski (and his first name is lost to the mists of time) would CONSTANTLY roll his dice off of the table. The term stuck for any time you know the dice are going to go off the table as the result of a wild throw.

I can't remember if I mentioned our term for this. "Suicide dice."

Jimmy Buffett did a song for one of our characters. Black Mariah was incredibly stupid and got hisself knocked out so far that he was Wasted Away in Black Mariah-ville. Searching for his lost consciousness.

Didn't help that some players slipped the GM money to keep him there...

Here are the ones I can remember offhand:

The Gravy Train - Coined by Mastiff, a character in one of our superhero campaigns who was a brick with 75% Physical Damage Reduction, 80 STUN, Regeneration and *6* PD. He also had a 65 STR and 25" of running, with levels in Move-Through. Mastiff would take damage (including BODY damage) from nearly anything. However, the Gravy Train could take out nearly any villain in the campaign, and became a general phrase for any really powerful attack.

Captain Whitebread - Used to refer to idealistic characters. Especially popular when referring to superpatriots.

Pulled a Kathy - This refers to my wife, who would fall asleep (because we often gamed late) and wake up just in time to use the item that saved the day.

Two examples of this are as follows:

• We were fighting an iron golem that just killed one party member in a single hit (it was using a Maul of the Titans), and I remembered that she had a magic item called 'Rust Dust' that she picked up...so I woke her up. She gets the situation described to her, has her character throw the rust dust on the golem...and the golem dissolves into rusty iron shards.
  • We were fighting this half-demon that was tearing through the group. Kathy's character was on autopilot because she fell asleep, and she wakes up just as her turn has come around again. "What's going on?" "We're fighting a half-demon." "Don't I have an arrow of demon slaying?" "Um...yes." "I use it." She nails the bad guy with the arrow, and he explodes.

Swallowed some demon - Related to the example above, the mage had a staff of telekinesis with no range (you had to touch the target to lift it). Just before we found out about the arrow of demon slaying, the mage burned a ton of charges on the staff to grab and lift up the half-demon, yelling for someone to hit it. Kathy did...and the mage's mouth was still open when it exploded. Also related - You got some demon in your throat...

Angstmeister - Used for a player in our group who always played angst-filled characters.

Pulled a Wagashi - A player's character in Living Arcanis who is munchkined out to the max. Wagashi uses overwhelming firepower to take out a situation...such as the maximized empowered fireball that did 75% of the hit points of the entire encounter (as in, half the bad guys dropped immediately, and the ones left were below 50% HP). The campaign is still active until Origins 2009, the character is now 19th level, and his favorite opening spell is a spell-shaped (Archmage ability to avoid hitting allies) Wail of the Banshee with a DC 31 Fortitude save. Other notable examples of Pulling a Wagashi are sharing a spell called Gaze of the Medusa with his familiar (so he can make gaze attacks with a save DC in the high 20s twice per round) and casting Magic Jar to spend the entire adventure in the body of the most powerful foe on the battlefield (the most recent being an elder Earth Elemental).

Don't Fireball The Nuns! - I'll just note this was said to Wagashi, and move on...

Some terminology I have collected from various groups over the years.

He's been Donalded. From Donald who was not keen on tactics and typically went from full stun to GM's option in just one hit.

Trap Detector Slang for any D&D Paladin, as in, "Ah, it looks like the paladin stepped in the trap again."

Trolling For Capture An attempt to come to grips with the enemy by dint of being captured by them.

The Sphinx Effect The more dice you roll, the less damage you do, from a character in the habit of pushing 1st ed haymakers.

In Case of Metahuman Activity Please Use Stairs. A sign posted near every elevator in my old Champions world after a groups of six PCs nearly killed themselves trying to navigate an elevator shaft. Later spoken as a disclaimer whenever the players ran horribly afoul of each other.

I imagine Steamteck will remember these....

"Bite the bitter black cookie of death" - To die. To be killed. Based on a legendary D&D campaign in which the players allegedly met Little Red Riding Hood and were allowed to take a cookie apiece from her basket. (Essentially a variant on the Deck of Many Things.) God alone knew what would happen when you bit into your cookie. But the bitter black cookie brought only death.

"I shoot Book!" Said whenever you've decided to do something totally unexpected. Based on the (short-lived) participation of a new player who frequently said "Let's book!" when he wanted the group to move along. He was a munchkin and rather annoying in other ways. One game session when he was absent, the other player characters burst into the villain's lair to defeat said villain (and rescue "Book"--whose name we didn't remember, who had been captured earlier).

Steamteck as GM asks what we're doing. This. That. One player says "I shoot Book!"

Steamteck: "What?"

Player: "I shoot Book!"

Steamteck: "Ooookay...."

"The Mangrove Effect"- The Gazebo Effect from an actual player in our game.

"Mango? Two Mango?"- A situation in which the NPCs don't realise the importance of what you are telling them. Comes from a situation where the PCs were attempting to explain the orc army marching on the Elf homeland to an elf who was stoned out of his gourd (The Orcs having correctly timed their attack to the day of the Mango Festival when all the Elves would be 'under the weather' on 'natural substances')

Sung "Hey I've died twice"- Any sitruation in which the players think the Cleric might need to Raise them afterward. Quoting, of course, Buffy from 'Once More with Feeling' and referencing the fact that their own character has, indeed, died twice (at least).

Of course we have the Moose/Half Moose as well, but that isn't specifically our group.

Wompus - A character built specifically for combat.

"Ping" - the sound of the blow not breaking through defences.

"Blah" (usually with hand gesture signifying a great deal of something coming from the mouth)- Character recapping information that the players heard that the either characters didn't or were not supposed to understand usually followed by me (the GM) saying "Yes and what was that Blah" because there is little more I love than characters acting on information that the players know to be wrong because one of them couldn't explain it properly. (I have only one player who goes along with me but a least I try)

"Previously on (enter name of campaign here)" - A recap for players who were not here last session or can't remember what happened when their characters would (since very little in game time has passed) usually done by another player with help from the GM who is, at this point, setting up.

"So we're in a (Forest/Dungeon/whatever)" - Lets get back to the game people and not get totally off topic. From 'The Gamers' from Dead Gentlemen Productions, used in the same context.

"Second session! Record stands! Sorry dude!" Usually said by me when I am GMing and one of the characters just bit the big one in the second session of the campaign (usually because one of the PCs failed to help him or he decided to play hero, I don't try to kill PCs I really don't).

"Flange" - Run away. No idea where it came from, someone elses group probably. Given what a Flange is, makes no actual sense.

Corner of Yakity Shmackity and fneh fneh - Giving a street address when I (the GM) can’t be bothered to come up with a fake street name.

Ted, the Generic Guy - Any random NPC I didn’t name.

Yahtzee! - A GM had set up a program to create alien names from predefined sets of syllable sounds. Wound up with Ya - Tzee.

“MARTIAN SPECIAL FORCES!” - shouted while pointing at the back of your left hand. Refers to a character in a d20 future game based on Cowboy Bebop. The player was former martian special forces, and constantly pointed it out in lieu of an explanation.

“We got mugged!” - Excuse for using excessive amounts of explosives. Better without explanation.

Mark Park - First, go watch The Gamers. I’ll wait…. Okay, yeah, the Mark Park is any player who didn’t show up. Also known as “Making funny faces at the monsters” and “narcolepsy”

“I will not use out of player knowledge, I will be a good little PC” - sung to the tune of Jonte Aloueta (yes, I cannot spell French to save my life)

“I’ll get you, FOREMAN!” - When a non-combat character ends up in the fight set up for the combat monster. Used after I got my butt handed to me by a Kung-Fu construction foreman. Mr. Martian Special Forces hadn’t shown up.

Fod - Food. An ex girlfriend was hungry. She said “Food! I want food! F-O-D!… wait, no, F-O-O-D.”

Decreasing the surplus pigeon population - Refers to my character Frostbite who has the WORST dice luck on the planet. Somehow the joke came up that every time he missed, he hit another pigeon. Center City is nearly free of pigeons now.

“I don’t trust the monkey!” - Spoken by our Communications Guy. He doesn’t trust the monkey.

Jim, the wonder hobo!

It’s a plot device, now shut up!

Cheesecake - breaking the fourth wall.

“QUACE!” - Uttered by the massive blue Duck of Perspective, while bleeding purple. The Duck of Perspective is our new god, and once you have achieved Quace, all will be known. (yeah, don’t ask).

Clucking, smug, evil clucking - usually someone steeples their fingers and says “buck buck buck” in a dark and sinister manner.

“>>name<< >>verb<>subject<<, Just thought you should know.” - Basically a longer version of the recap button. (example: “Dante broke the ship. Just thought you should know.”)

FRANK! - Frank was a goat one of our players randomly found. He eventually saved us from GlaDOS (the Portal villain) using a segway, a lance and a helmet.

Stunned for INT: When something happens where a character is just so confused, in a state of disbelief, or shocked that he deliberately turns to the DM and just says "My action is completely wasted."

Example: When Psion, in secret identity, mind controlled his own bodyguard to thrown down his weapon, put it on the ground.and say "You win, you've got me, I'm Psion" the whole group was stunned for INT.

Optionland: The place where characters go when they reach -31 STUN or more. The highest example of Optionland is -524 Stun, reached when a villain blew up his master's space ship, destroying an underground/underwater cavern and the whole thing dropped on top of the PC's.

"Fully Automatic Elephant Gun" - any item that seems really cool, but has certain (major) problems when it comes to actual use.

"Irish Mine Detector" - The group's point man, or any Character whose Player is absent for that session. (Question: How does an Irishman detect mines? Answer: [Mime closing eyes, sticking fingers in ears, and then using one foot to stomp the ground ahead of you.]).

"Doing A Kurt" - Basically, knowing the rules and winning tactics so well that you can basically win a boardgame singlehanded, almost before it has started. NOT, I must emphasize, a Rules Lawyer. Kurt is a friend who is an exceptional boardgamer. Good guy, but kind of like the Borg - you might beat him once at a game, but he'll carefully study the rules and then come back and absolutely waste you next time.

"Doing A Hilton" - After a long-ago former member of the group. Basically, to (repeatedly) keep trying to get your Characters killed by the most idiotic, spur-of-the-moment ways possible (eg, jumping off high objects to abseil down - WITHOUT securing the other end of the rope, pushing buttons that the rest of the party has just specifically decided NOT to push, asking complete strangers on busy streets where the local Assassins' Guild is, etc.).

Great Cat of the Apocalypse - Lord Mhoram's cat used to loved to sit on/sleep on/walk across our map, which could send pieces flying or obscure chunks of landscape. When this happened, we'd cry out, "Oh no, it's the Great Cat of the Apocalypse!" RIP, Gump. :(

I can't believe I forgot that one. *sigh*

Expulsion - The brand name of any large SUV.

Letterbox - A GM storytelling mechanic, adopted from games like Metal Gear, where the PCs are unable to take action until the end of a narrative by the GM. Not entirely fair, of course, but generally put to good use for moving a plot along.

GM: Dr. Weirdo lands in front of you and --

PC: Energy blast, all levels to OCV!

GM: Wait, wait. Letterbox.

PC: Uh-oh.

Bags and Tape: Simply ridiculous idea to solve a life or death situation, borne of desperation and an inability to think clearly. First used when a plane was going down due to a window being blown out. (Not that we knew this would not actually crash a plane at that time.)