The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Not to make things worse or anything' date=' but other types of crime are CONSIDERABLY more common than shooting rampages.[/quote']

No, i just want to lock her in the closet... her I trust.. it's the world at large I don't trust any farther than I can throw it...

You know, I don't want to be one of "those" dads. At all. But . . . my son (who will be 6 in a week) recently started soccer and he's, well . . . godawful. Horrible. In every game or drill he's done, his team has gotten stomped. Badly. Tonight, playing their first "real" game, they had a one-person advantage, six to five, against another team. The other team scored the first 8 goals before it finally ended at 9-1.

Now, I wouldn't care if he just wasn't good. I don't expect him to be good. I was a horribly uncoordinated, unathletic kid who developed slowly and destroyed my parents' vision of a 4.0 GPA by getting a D in both gym and swimming in 7th grade. The boy does not have athletic genes. The problem is, he just doesn't try. He runs around the ball, occasionally kicks at it (and misses), doesn't pay attention at all to the coach, is always wandering off. And yeah, he's in kindergarten, so it's somewhat normal, but he's so much worse about it than the other kids. He just doesn't get it.

And he loves it. He raves about soccer. He throws a fit every night after practice when he has to take his sweaty jersey off, because he wants to sleep in it. He absolutely loves it now, but, one of these days, one of his frustrated teammates is going to snap at him and yell about how he's no good or isn't paying attention and should get off the team or something, and it will crush him. I don't know how to flip the switch in his head to get him to lock in on this stuff. The kid can sit in his room reading for hours, but can't focus for ten seconds on a soccer field.

I'm just waiting for the day when that kid snaps at him and he's going to feel awful and want to give up. Sigh.

3:20 am, and I can't sleep, because I'm afraid someone I really don't want to talk to will call between 6:30 am and 7:00 am. I'm supposed to call her and I'm not going to because I'll have to say I don't want it and won't do it. It's not for me. She will try to talk me out of this decision which will be very frustrating for both of us.

Must sleep.

Well, let's see I got my oil changed on may 15th. Which is why I was a bit surpised to see my oil light come on on my way home from visiting my brother.

and then there was that sad wheezing noise it made when I put the gas on, in lieu of speeding up.

Its at the shop again. Once a year for each of the last three years.

I might be investing in a new car. And since I'm broke, idon't know how that's going to happen.

just for an update!

The repairman came out today, and our new Washer WORKS!

a stupid little reed switch stuck. It probably cost 10 cents, and was installed in a 10 dollar or so part...:mad:

but it was NOT my water pressure!:D

There's a bat in my house. I have no idea how' date=' or when, it got in here. I have no idea where it hides during the day, but in any event it SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME.[/quote']

Clearly, it's a sign for you to put on a costume and terrorize villains.

St. Louis, I am the night!

There's a bat in my house. I have no idea how' date=' or when, it got in here. I have no idea where it hides during the day, but in any event it SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME.[/quote']

At least you won't have a mosquito of fly problem.

I can certainly understand that!

My dad is in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. He needs a transfusion I found out coming home from dinner. He's halfway around the world, so I can't get to him soon, but at least my cousin's wife has volunteered to donate blood.

You know what sucks? Having a huge responsibility, but having no authority.

My Boss: You need to get a "Best Practices" going for this new division.

Me: OK . OK, here's y'all's new Best Practices. Please begin implementing them immediately.

Them: No.

Me: It's not your call; you need to start doing this.

Them: No. You can't make us.

Me: Guess you're right. Hey boss, my task is complete, but they aren't doing it.

Boss: Hey! Things are going to crap over there! What happened to those Best Practices I told you to write up?

Me: I did it, they refused to implement it. I have no power to force them to, so it has languished.

Boss: Well, make them implement it!

Me: What authority do I have to do this?

Boss: None.

Me: Well then, we are at an impass. The BPs are ready to go, but if I have no authority to force them to use them, there is nothing further I can do.

Boss: Well... come up with something!

:rolleyes::mad::idjit::no:

Me: OK . OK, here's y'all's new Best Practices. Please begin implementing them immediately.

Me: Guess you're right. Hey boss, my task is complete, but they aren't doing it.

Boss: Hey! Things are going to crap over there! What happened to those Best Practices I told you to write up?

Me: I did it, they refused to implement it. I have no power to force them to, so it has languished.

Me: Well then, we are at an impass. The BPs are ready to go, but if I have no authority to force them to use them, there is nothing further I can do.

Responsibility without power is almost as bad as power without responsibility. In somewhat similar situations my response has basically been "Here are the BPs you asked for that new division. I notified the division about them, but they weren't interested in implementing them. Here are my suggestions as to how to roll them out." Something like that has worked for me in the past.

(Have you considered using your Flip Out & Kill, 16-?)

Been there, started doing that, got laid off before the crunch hit. You have my sympathies.

Five-six years back, one of the CIO's big items was to get our processes ISO 9000 certified. Given that big chunks of the orgtree derived their only power from being able to say "no" to any change infringing on their bailiwick at any moment they felt like it, it was clear to anyone doing any thinking that lots of entrenched, politically potent people would let true ISO process control happen Over Their Dead Body. I pointed this out a few times, including an anonymous note with a partial list of groups whose heads would need to be guillotined and groups defined out of existence before there was any prayer of the new stuff being implemented. There was, however, nothing done to even recognize this reality.

I got laid off (and I think my fate had been sealed long before I pointed out those core problems) before I had to do more than read through the standards and how my workflow would have to change to accommodate them. And the CIO got dismissed within a year of when I left. My contacts in the company haven't breathed a word about ISO since then.

Not saying anything but a friendly if unwelcome suggestion, but you might bring your resume up to date.

Yep. I've been in the Responsible, but totally dependent on others to actually take the action required.

And it seems to keep happening. Archermoo's suggestion is a very good one. Document your handing all of it off as well. Unfortunately, CYA is appropriate.

Good lord, does that sound familiar. Yet another reason I'm glad I'm moved. I'm not supervising-without-any-way-to-enforce-it at the current location. We're a team, not a series of tiers and steps.

Well, there are higher-ups, but they leave me alone.