The cranky thread

Hermit

When we had broken tree limbs take out the back fence (heavy snow in February), we made the claim on the homeowner's insurance and found a couple of handyman-type outfits to give us bids on replacing it.  Their bids were a bit more than twice what the insurance paid.  My son & I cleared the wreckage (rent a truck, tote it all to the transfer station about two miles away) but the fence waited half a year.  The replacement was done by an itinerant worker I've never seen before or since, cash only under the table, coming through the neighborhood doing lots of fast, cheap, and sloppy fix-up jobs, and the fence was only one part of what he did for us (back fence, clean the roof, hack an out-of-control hedge back into submission out front, pressure-wash the front walk).  He underbid the job, but I have no complaints about what he & two buddies did, for only slightly more than the insurance check for the fence alone.  All things considered we got seriously lucky there.

With your shed as it is ... hope you don't have much in the way of hazmat in there.  Otherwise I'd say rent a truck, buy a dozen pairs of leather gloves and some two-handed implements of destruction, and offer a fraternity a keg of beer to bash the wreckage into smaller pieces and throw it all in the truck.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

There is some paint in there, which I believe requires special disposal. 

Liquid paint does require special disposal, but do you know what doesn't?  Painted pieces of broken shed.  Don't bother brushing or rolling it, just pour some on a dry surface and wait for the surface to dry.  Repeat till the paint is gone.

And don't stand around watching it dry.  You've had enough trauma.

25 minutes ago, Nekkidcarpenter said:

Liquid paint does require special disposal, but do you know what doesn't?  Painted pieces of broken shed.  Don't bother brushing or rolling it, just pour some on a dry surface and wait for the surface to dry.  Repeat till the paint is gone.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Paint can be a problem for anyone,  but people have discovered solutions for it. On the Lowe's Website they have some nice things to say about this topic.  Essentially,  latex paint can be mixed with ordinary cat litter then placed in the normal trash with everything else.  Oil paint though need special treatment and should be taken to a recycling center. 

1 hour ago, L. Marcus said:

Also squirrel?

Also gone. Though we had to clean the garbage can with bleach. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I vote for a greenhouse, or maybe a gazebo.  You can't go wrong with a gazebo.

A gazebo?! I attack with my battle axe!

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Well, a small fusion reactor has something to say for it as well.

You have given me much to think about...

I feel so stuck right now. I need a job, and I really don't want to go back to the type of job I've been doing. But that seems to be the only area where I'm getting job offers. I've turned down those offers because I really don't want those jobs. But I can't stay unemployed forever, and I'm getting really depressed. Hopeless would be a better word.