The cranky thread

Hermit

...add thanks to two kids who aren't yet housebroken and won't follow instructions simple enough for a well-trained German Shepherd, the root canal wasn't even the worst part of my night.

If today was a fish, I'd throw it back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an appointment for gum scaling and root planing* in a couple of areas of my mouth, followed by a root canal and a crown. The co-pay will be a little less than my monthly mortgage payment.

My car insurance went up, with an explanation that it wasn't my record, but it's just that everyone else sucks at driving.

The last of my tax refund (and a bit more) is going to the co-pay for the ER visit in January.

*The old joke is that the teeth are good, but the gums have got to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Ho hum.

Another week, another two computer swapouts.  This last happened about a month ago, but in that one-month interval of time I was gone for three weeks, so it counts as the next work week.

The first machine swap was benign (the previous owner needed the machine back because she didn't back up all her old data before handing it off); I had installed only one or two things, no more than half an hour's effort, and I have already got most of that stuff back. 

The second one is less benign (not all that damaging as I only had another week of work that needed to be thrown to the backed-up communal drive before I lose the box), but a complete re-imaging is needed, and the extra stuff I installed will need to be put back on the new image.  Probably the kludges I did to install stuff I need won't work again, collateral damage of the new image.

I'd be rather more annoyed, but I'm still in happy mood from the vacation.

In parallel developments, with the end of the academic year approaching, various people who need affirmation of their importance are calling meetings at a remarkable pace, filling up people's Outlook calendars like senior citizens participating in a frenzy-pace bingo game.  I wonder if I'll have at least a meeting a day for the next two weeks (after which classes are over).  Much depends on whether said administrators needing importance affirmation are so desperate for meetings that it overrides their need to cut out a day early and make Memorial Day weekend last four days (because it's next Friday that lacks a meeting right now).  I don't think that'll happen, but it's an interesting study in PHB dynamics.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my mouth to fully un-numb after this morning's attempt at a root canal (the appointment was 8 hours ago). Seems that everything on that side of my mouth except the nerve in the tooth reacted as expected to the various numbing agents that the dentist tried*. So, I was sent home until Thursday with a prescription for antibiotics and ibuprofen, and a temporary filling on what's left of the tooth.

Did you, as I did when I had my root canal, have to argue with yourself for the duration of the procedure, to remain sure that the dentist was not, in fact, extracting your entire central nervous system through that hole in your jaw?

33 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Did you, as I did when I had my root canal, have to argue with yourself for the duration of the procedure, to remain sure that the dentist was not, in fact, extracting your entire central nervous system through that hole in your jaw?

That's the part that's now scheduled for Thursday.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:23 PM, Pariah said:

It's called a 'turn signal', you peckerwood jackass!

Here in Boise they call them "magical protection lights". They do use them, but it's when turning into the actual space that another vehicle occupies. They fully expect all vehicles to be magically moved into safe positions, thus avoiding any collision.

Happily, it seemed that Boise residents were aware that vehicles with Washington plates were immune to the effect; perhaps we are known to be wrapped in an anti-magic field.  No one tried it on us as we passed through.

Indeed.  Spend more time in the less corrosive, and less monotonous, madness of non sequiturs and confusion-in-levels-of-indirection jokes here.  If you've got some real mad to work off, hack out an isolated dollop of fiction and post it somewhere apropos nothing.  As I am sure you remember, I've done that, and I haven't even been banned for it!

Besides, you need to put up the poll for your superdraft and rig it so I get all the votes.  :straight:

My last name is Thomas.  THOMAS!  THOMAS, DAMMIT, NOT THOMPSON!!!  49 years on this planet and people constantly say THOMPSON! It's not a hard name, in fact, it's quite bleeping common!  Actually, I would hazard a guess and say that Thomas is far more common than Thompson.  If you don't think you actually know my last name, please....ASK!

Oh, and don't even get me started on the people I've very politely corrected yet, STILL THEY SAY... THOMPSON!