The cranky thread

Hermit

Found out today that one of my wife's best friends--she and her now-husband introduced us, in fact--has Stage 4 colon cancer.

She's 45 years old.

She has a son who's younger than ours.

Shit.

Well, Pariah needs them most.  Uncle J T was already muchly gone mentally, and in your late 80s ... something's going to get you pretty soon anyway ... so the family is much better prepared.  But to have it happen at 45 is a tragedy.

I'm glad you finally made it, Mr. Technician, only a half hour late.  But your strategy of using a cell phone and hotspot to allow a remote engineer to connect isn't going to work when the router is deep in the bowels of a cruise ship that's made of iron.   Your home office knew this when they dispatched you; did anyone think--okay, never mind.

We've been in Colorado for the past week visiting family and friends. My Mom has been in the hospital most of that time. We have to go back home today.  :(

(The details, a far as I know them: Mom has been exhausted and hasn't been eating much. And she's been very forgetful...like, 'asking the same question you answered 30 seconds ago' forgetful. The preliminary diagnosis was thiamine deficiency, so they've been dumping thiamine into her. It's helped; she's actually eating now. Now they're running a bunch of tests to determine why it happened in the first place. No answers yet.)

Thanks. They discharged her yesterday just as we were leaving town; we got to see her (and Dad) in the hospital parking lot before we left. She looks better. She's still not 100%, and they're still awaiting the results of some tests. But they determined that she was stable enough to go home.

• 2 weeks later...