The cranky thread

Hermit

11 minutes ago, lemming said:

That would be a very aggressive color.

Oh, it is.  I just finished a medication that turned my urine day glow orange. This almost the same color, but not as pretty. The consolation is, I can cut out some triangles and a mouth out of felt and turn the powder room into the inside of a jack o'lantern looking out for Halloween.

Depends on if you already own furniture that you want to harmonize with the paint.

I know my mom once despaired of our moving into a house with pink paint on the walls when we had an orange couch.  (It was a rental, that I think was rented sight unseen, long long ago; we were in it for a year.)

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Depends on if you already own furniture that you want to harmonize with the paint.

I know my mom once despaired of our moving into a house with pink paint on the walls when we had an orange couch.  (It was a rental, that I think was rented sight unseen, long long ago; we were in it for a year.)

The previous owner of the house had heavy wool wall-to-wall carpeting installed, and decided to have it custom-dyed to match the bougainvillea out front. It's magenta.

It also took me two years to figure out that the "off-white" walls are actually white with a very light pinkish tint.

I'm too cheap to do anything about the carpeting, and I don't really notice the walls, especially with the Hue lights in the media room.

Dealing with old people who have a growing dementia is ..difficult. I feel for them.

Dealing with a manipulative hag with narcissism disorder so you can't tell when it's the dementia and when it's just her being a grade A b**ch can be a nightmare. But my Housemate can't trhow her mom on the street and I spend more time here soooo....

And sorry, folks. Just needed to vent. No, we can't afford to get her in a home, yes we've checked vet benefits, no she can't afford to get a nurse care herself, and when left along she would fall down a LOT partially because she doesn't take her meds on time. This isn't a request to fix the situation, we've explored that. This is just a vent and a need to blow off steam because telling a 76 year old woman to **** the next time she makes a passive aggressive play or underhanded insult is against my upbringing.

Good luck, man.  It wasn't until she realized that she had entered the next-to-last stage of her terminal illness that my mother finally stopped doing that with me.

I'm still working off the residual resentments, and she's been dead four years now.

EDIT: FWIW, you're the third person I've encountered in the last week who complained of having to deal with manipulative/controlling/emotionally abusive old women in their lives (the other two were complaining about their mothers).  I don't think it is necessarily a stereotype (though the population is mostly female in the older age brackets: 56+% female in age 75-79, and 67% female in age 85+), but it is interesting to speculate that men are physically abusive young, and lose that tendency as they deteriorate physically with age, while women specialize in verbal/emotional abuse and get increasingly more manipulative and abusive as they grow older, until final loss of mental capacity forces that to end.

Well, they're learning some weird things in abuse studies, like that mothers actually are more likely to physically abuse a child than the dads, but that's also likely to more stay at home moms = more interaction. (No I Don't have the cite handy)

I know part of her problem is control and power. She is losing that. Her body is betraying her. So she is likely lashing out at targets trying to dominate them the only way she can. She wants to drive (Nevermind the question is would she kill JUST Herself, or take an innocent with her? Turns out she doesn't much worry about maybe killing an innocent when it was brought up. Another reason I do not like the woman right now). She's lost a lot of freedom. BUT her comparing things to being a 'prisoner' is aggrivating. Most prisoners do not have their daughter and son in law take them out to O'charleys one week for 3 hours, or a whole 4 day weekend the week before that. But she's a true narcisst, she'll rewrite history where and when she wants to if it interferes with the narrative she wants to push.

I program the TV to record a film on a certain day so that it does not interfere with anything else. So what does the TV do ? It finds the earlier showing which clashes with something else I am trying to record and then tries to record that. Once is bad enough but on a persistent basis, it is more than a little wearing. 

And why is it when I don't have my medication for high blood pressure that this occurs ?

14 hours ago, death tribble said:

I program the TV to record a film on a certain day so that it does not interfere with anything else. So what does the TV do ? It finds the earlier showing which clashes with something else I am trying to record and then tries to record that. Once is bad enough but on a persistent basis, it is more than a little wearing. 

And why is it when I don't have my medication for high blood pressure that this occurs ?

I think your DVR has been taking lessons from my DVR.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, Hermit said:

Dealing with old people who have a growing dementia is ..difficult. I feel for them.

Dealing with a manipulative hag with narcissism disorder so you can't tell when it's the dementia and when it's just her being a grade A b**ch can be a nightmare. But my Housemate can't trhow her mom on the street and I spend more time here soooo....

And sorry, folks. Just needed to vent. No, we can't afford to get her in a home, yes we've checked vet benefits, no she can't afford to get a nurse care herself, and when left along she would fall down a LOT partially because she doesn't take her meds on time. This isn't a request to fix the situation, we've explored that. This is just a vent and a need to blow off steam because telling a 76 year old woman to **** the next time she makes a passive aggressive play or underhanded insult is against my upbringing.

That describes my mom in her final couple years.  Thankfully there was still some money and she had alright benefits to be able to put her in a home, but it was a struggle.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:57 AM, Cancer said:

... Aaaaaand the Bitlocker prompt is holding the machine in my Core office for ransom again.  Just about exactly a month after the last time this occurred.

DFUA's.

Ah-HA!

Had a flash of insight after this happened again this morning.  I remembered something I did differently.

If you have a guilty-of-incestuous-rape Windows 10 box with this d***ed Bitlocker thing on it, THEN:

• If you insert a thumbdrive into the USB port, and don't eject the drive before powering down the box, THEN the next time you power the box back up, you will get the Bitlocker challenge.
  • If you insert a thumbdrive into the USB port, and DO eject the drive before powering down the box, THEN you don't get the Bitlocker challenge.
  • If you get said Bitlocker challenge, keep your hands off the machine, and after a minute the box will power itself down.  Let that happen.  Then (assuming you don't have anything in the USB socket) boot up the box again.  You won't get the Bitlocker challenge; you'll get the regular login prompt.

Powering down the machine with an extra device counts as a "machine configuration change", which triggers the Bitlocker challenge on the next boot.  Powering up with nothing in the socket is the configuration the machine thinks it should have, and as long as it was in that state on power-down, no challenge happens.

Yeeeesh.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, Old Man said:

When I'm behind the wheel, every day is Drive Like a Maniac Day.

When I drive, everyone else on the road is having Drive Like it's 1919 When Everyone Thought That If You Went Faster Than 22 mph, You'd Die Day.

Either that, or it's Alzheimer's Patients Day Out.

Or possibly Room Temperature IQ Day (Global* Version)

*Global means use Celsius, not Fahrenheit, for temperature values.

Housemate's Mother wants to drive to Krogers to get cookies NOW.

Nevermind that she's been told by her physical therapist she shouldn't drive, the selfish B*tch is willing to risk others because she currently has the impulse control of a five year old and the empathy of a sociopath.

I exaggerate, but not by much

• 2 weeks later...