The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Oh joy of joys...

After a much needed doctor's visit on Thursday, turns out that I have a double case of sinusitis and bronchitis. So I got to take a note to work saying I'm out til at least Monday. *groan*

To make matters worse, for reasons not-quite-known, I'm currently sporting a blood pressure of 150/100, so for a month I'm on high blood pressure meds to try and bring them back down.

God, I hope I still have a job on Monday...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Thank God I'm finally getting over this... although I slept something like fifteen hours today. Went to bed at 9pm, slept til 7am, got up, stayed awake til 9am, went back to sleep til 3pm.

And I don't know if it's the blood pressure meds or the antibiotics, but I am THIRSTY!

Who's for drinks over at the Travis's place? BYOB! We'll throw on anime and bad movies and yap about gaming til 3am!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Every time I'm severely sick' date=' my blood pressure goes up. I don't know why.[/quote']

Is this when you're at the medical office? One of my doctor's (actually a Nurse practitioner) noted that most people had a higher pulse/pressure when at the office.

Is this when you're at the medical office? One of my doctor's (actually a Nurse practitioner) noted that most people had a higher pulse/pressure when at the office.

No, I've tested it outside doctor's offices when I'm sick and when I'm healthy. When I do "healthy" doctor visits (physicals, lady doctor, checkups), my blood pressure is around 120/80. But whenever I have labyrinthitis or the flu or anything that similarly messes with my sinuses, my blood pressure shoots up to 140/100.

It's disconcerting, to say the very least.

It's not my nature,

but today I'm gonna take advantage of the Cranky Thread!

While I have nothing but the best wishes for the folks in N.O right now, that storm is wide enough to give us some fits around here, too.

I had an out of town trip scheduled, but things being what they are west of us, those plans fell through.

So I had a chance to do a little charity work today, namely take part in a Dice Run, with the profits going to the 'coats, food, school, etc, for homeless or borderline kids' in the area. I don't generally do pack rides; the exception is children's charities.

So my group shows up today and we hit the road. Skies looked good; weather channel showed smooth sailing for the bulk of the afternoon.

We ended up buying rolls at five locations scattered around the county, and one of the guys riding with us made seven natural passes, so he bought five more passes, figuring 12 would give him a good chance at winning. This brings up a choice of strategies: either turn your card in at a popular location, hoping to win a piece of a large pie, or find a way-out location and turn it in there, hoping for better odds of winning a piece, but of a smaller pie.

Being as how the proceeds were for charity, he figured that going for the better odds / smaller pay-off would not only increase his chances, but reduce the amount of money paid out overall, letting the 'kids' keep more. So he and I and one of the others headed for the most remote registry we could find-- about an hour from town-- while the other two opted to keep playing at some other closer locations.

We hit two more spots before leaving town with nothing spectacular happening. At one point, I had rolled nine passes, but rather than stay or buy additional passes, I opted to roll again and blew it totally. (which is fine; I play to lose in these cases).

Eventually, we headed out of town to register my friend's card. On the way out, we hit the slightest amount of drizzle, but the sun was out and it looked and felt like the weather would hold. As we went through an underpass, we saw one of our earlier companions parked under the bridge, taking a smoke. We stopped to see if he was okay. "I'm fine; I'm just waiting on the weather to clear...."

At this point, we both began to tease him mercilessly. "C'mon, Robert! You've got a freakin' GOLDWING! Look at this thing! You've got two acres of windshield, lowers, ducted air defrost and heat--- you gonna sit here beside the road while a couple of no-frills bug-eaters keeps on going? Wimp! Coward!" (All in good fun, of course). We loaded up, still 'marvelling' loudly about how he could just sit there, considering all the shielding and creature comforts he had.

And six miles later, someone turned a pond over. Raining so hard that we couldn't even see well enogh to get off the road. We rode through it (for lack of a choice) for twenty minutes, hands over our faces (rain hurts at speed), chests being beaten red by massive drops. My boots (and drawers) filled up with rain in about eight seconds, and I think we were both in danger of going hypothermic.

Eventually we hit a slack spot in the rain and could see well enough to pull off to a service station. We parked under the canopy, dismounted, and sat there shivering, checking for bruises (seriousy; rain _hurts_ at speed) and huddling close to the tailpipes in a desperate attempt to curb the shivering. About twenty minutes later, the rain subsided back to the slight drizzle, but we were still too chilled to go anywhere just yet.

And fifteen minutes after that, Robert pulled in on his nice dry Goldwing. He looked at me; he looked at my friend. Then he unplugged a cord from his helmet, opened a flap in the fairing, and stowed the cord. He reached into the same stowage and pulled out what looked like a CB radio. Then he looked at us, grinned, and said:

"I've got NOAH, too!"

Rotten bastich.

GGRRRRrrrrr!

To those who've sent well wishes, yes, I am finally over the worst of it, went back to work today. Had to take a lot of care with my voice not to blow it out on my first day back, but seems to be all right. Tired a lot, though.

*takes a moment to hit Tim with a pillow*

Things go rolling on along though, thank God it was fairly slow today at work (so the supervisors weren't going around yelling, "Come on, get the call queue down!"), actually worked on my website a bit while on the phones (the joys of waiting on hold for people). Got an online store now. :D

I actually wish I had a jacuzzi, but I want it filled with COOL water, not hot... just to sit back and relax...

God, I hope I get more than five hours of sleep tonight, but that's not bloody likely, the damned AC went out again. It's almost 90 in our apartment right now.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

most boring day of work in 10 months.

*sigh*

been told to photocopy invoices proccessed in the new financial year that relate to the previous year. Just today mind you, ne'er forget that it is "end of month" on top of this.

*double sigh*

1) No communication as to the objective or plan and how it is to be accomplished. or why.

2) this place has extronenous photocopies (xerox) of everything, into every subsystem imaginable. why the wate of paper when the originals are filed? (or in my case not filed as I have not yet had time to file them. but that is a different rant)

A scary moment last night.

About 6:30 PM or so, there was another car collision right by our house. We didn't see it, but we heard the impact. This time there wasn't even the squeal of tires preceding the WHAM. My guess is the two vehicles were doing mid-30s MPH ... this down two residential streets at a rather poor-visibility intersection in a strictly residential area.

We live on two streetcorners (it's a very abbreviated almost triangular block with only two homes on it; the hypoteneuse of the triangle runs SE to NW, and we have the eastern half of the block). In the last 18 months there have been either three or four collisions (my kids and I disagree on the count) at the two north corners of the block.

We live about 4 blocks from a major choke-point intersection of two arterials, and these collisions have been people trying to skirt that choke point by taking the back streets. The wrecks have all been between 5:30 and 7:00 PM, people going too fast, too impatient, in an area where even the legal limit (25) isn't the best idea. So far no one has been seriously hurt (though each collision has seen one of the two vehicles towed away).

I'm most concerned that the next accident won't be two vehicles, but one vehicle and a pedestrian, or cyclist. A juvenile pedestrian or cyclist. Specifically, one of my neighbors ... or my kids.

Maybe I'll look into cratering one of the streets. :mad:

I have this insane urge to bring a wiffleball bat to work and start whacking the supervisors every time they start yelling across the call center.

I also have this insane urge to buy a bag of gourmet potato chips, a box of Godiva chocolate truffles, a bottle of a really good (really STRONG) red wine, call in to work tomorrow, and watch all the DVDs of the Goku-Majin Vegeta battle back-to-back.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

It's not my nature,

but today I'm gonna take advantage of the Cranky Thread!

While I have nothing but the best wishes for the folks in N.O right now, that storm is wide enough to give us some fits around here, too.

I had an out of town trip scheduled, but things being what they are west of us, those plans fell through.

So I had a chance to do a little charity work today, namely take part in a Dice Run, with the profits going to the 'coats, food, school, etc, for homeless or borderline kids' in the area. I don't generally do pack rides; the exception is children's charities.

So my group shows up today and we hit the road. Skies looked good; weather channel showed smooth sailing for the bulk of the afternoon.

We ended up buying rolls at five locations scattered around the county, and one of the guys riding with us made seven natural passes, so he bought five more passes, figuring 12 would give him a good chance at winning. This brings up a choice of strategies: either turn your card in at a popular location, hoping to win a piece of a large pie, or find a way-out location and turn it in there, hoping for better odds of winning a piece, but of a smaller pie.

Being as how the proceeds were for charity, he figured that going for the better odds / smaller pay-off would not only increase his chances, but reduce the amount of money paid out overall, letting the 'kids' keep more. So he and I and one of the others headed for the most remote registry we could find-- about an hour from town-- while the other two opted to keep playing at some other closer locations.

We hit two more spots before leaving town with nothing spectacular happening. At one point, I had rolled nine passes, but rather than stay or buy additional passes, I opted to roll again and blew it totally. (which is fine; I play to lose in these cases).

Eventually, we headed out of town to register my friend's card. On the way out, we hit the slightest amount of drizzle, but the sun was out and it looked and felt like the weather would hold. As we went through an underpass, we saw one of our earlier companions parked under the bridge, taking a smoke. We stopped to see if he was okay. "I'm fine; I'm just waiting on the weather to clear...."

At this point, we both began to tease him mercilessly. "C'mon, Robert! You've got a freakin' GOLDWING! Look at this thing! You've got two acres of windshield, lowers, ducted air defrost and heat--- you gonna sit here beside the road while a couple of no-frills bug-eaters keeps on going? Wimp! Coward!" (All in good fun, of course). We loaded up, still 'marvelling' loudly about how he could just sit there, considering all the shielding and creature comforts he had.

And six miles later, someone turned a pond over. Raining so hard that we couldn't even see well enogh to get off the road. We rode through it (for lack of a choice) for twenty minutes, hands over our faces (rain hurts at speed), chests being beaten red by massive drops. My boots (and drawers) filled up with rain in about eight seconds, and I think we were both in danger of going hypothermic.

Eventually we hit a slack spot in the rain and could see well enough to pull off to a service station. We parked under the canopy, dismounted, and sat there shivering, checking for bruises (seriousy; rain _hurts_ at speed) and huddling close to the tailpipes in a desperate attempt to curb the shivering. About twenty minutes later, the rain subsided back to the slight drizzle, but we were still too chilled to go anywhere just yet.

And fifteen minutes after that, Robert pulled in on his nice dry Goldwing. He looked at me; he looked at my friend. Then he unplugged a cord from his helmet, opened a flap in the fairing, and stowed the cord. He reached into the same stowage and pulled out what looked like a CB radio. Then he looked at us, grinned, and said:

"I've got NOAH, too!"

Rotten bastich.

GGRRRRrrrrr!

Hey Duke:

Maybe I'm very slow, but I did not understand one word of that. Would you please explain to me what exactly random dice is, and what animal you gave the children pack rides on ? Or was it a small plane of some kind ? What are rolls (rolls of what ?) and what do they do and how do they work and why do you have to drive to many different locations to buy them ? Then what do you do with them? As you can see I have no clue what on Earth you are talking about. Sorry you got drenched, I got that part. But were you driving a jeep of some kind, or what ? And was your friend driving a truck or SUV ? :confused:

Information, please ?

To those who've sent well wishes, yes, I am finally over the worst of it, went back to work today. Had to take a lot of care with my voice not to blow it out on my first day back, but seems to be all right. Tired a lot, though.

*takes a moment to hit Tim with a pillow*

Things go rolling on along though, thank God it was fairly slow today at work (so the supervisors weren't going around yelling, "Come on, get the call queue down!"), actually worked on my website a bit while on the phones (the joys of waiting on hold for people). Got an online store now. :D

I actually wish I had a jacuzzi, but I want it filled with COOL water, not hot... just to sit back and relax...

God, I hope I get more than five hours of sleep tonight, but that's not bloody likely, the damned AC went out again. It's almost 90 in our apartment right now.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Disclaimer: I have nothing but sympathy for your recent illness, I admire your tenacity in your efforts to get your book written and published, I certainly wish you well and I mean the following in a friendly, light bantering way. :)

Soooo, Samuraiko, you say your bedroom's too hot ?

I'm sooooooo sorry.

I seem to recall your saying that one of your favorite Wintertime amusements is calling up all your East Coast and Midwest friends and rubbing their noses in the fact that you are celebrating Christmas lounging by the pool with a Pina Colada in your hand.

Last night my husband turned on our bedroom air conditioner and by 3:00 am it was so cold I woke up and actually had to turn on the heat. THIS HAPPENS EVERY NIGHT !!!! He keeps the house so cold in the summer I have to bundle up. EVERY DAY !!!! :eg:

Bwahahahahahaha !!!!!!

:lol:

Disclaimer: I have nothing but sympathy for your recent illness, I admire your tenacity in your efforts to get your book written and published, I certainly wish you well and I mean the following in a friendly, light bantering way. :)

Soooo, Samuraiko, you say your bedroom's too hot ?

I'm sooooooo sorry.

I seem to recall your saying that one of your favorite Wintertime amusements is calling up all your East Coast and Midwest friends and rubbing their noses in the fact that you are celebrating Christmas lounging by the pool with a Pina Colada in your hand.

Last night my husband turned on our bedroom air conditioner and by 3:00 am it was so cold I woke up and actually had to turn on the heat. THIS HAPPENS EVERY NIGHT !!!! He keeps the house so cold in the summer I have to bundle up. EVERY DAY !!!! :eg:

Bwahahahahahaha !!!!!!

:lol:

*laughing*

As a general rule, a little heat doesn't bother me, but when my BEDROOM is 95 degrees, this is not my idea of fun.

But oddly enough, I sleep better when it's cold (most likely because of the lung problems, hot = muggy = major asthma/breathing problems). Otherwise, heat is just fine.

And I will accept the compliments without harassing you... much.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Not sure if I'm cranky, or just bummed. Early this morning (about 1:30AM Mtn time) I was about 20 minutes and $1US shy of picking up a mint-condition, shrink-wrapped copy of "Wings of the Valkyrie". It would have only cost me $29.50, including postage. Would have been an incredible bargain. Oh well, if it was meant to happen, it would have happened. :(

Not sure if I'm cranky' date=' or just bummed. Early this morning (about 1:30AM Mtn time) I was about 20 minutes and $1US shy of picking up a mint-condition, shrink-wrapped copy of "Wings of the Valkyrie". It [i']would[/i] have only cost me $29.50, including postage. Would have been an incredible bargain. Oh well, if it was meant to happen, it would have happened. :(

It's not that amazing of an adventure. I think I over paid at less than $20.

On Friday our well went all the way dry. We had been limping along for a couple weeks, using for quick hand washes, etc.

We have already been hauling in 100 gallons a week for the horse, and now we are using buckets of it to flush the toilets.

Waterless hand sanitizer is your friend, and using the facilities at work is a GOOD thing.

We are on the list for a well driller, but it was originally a 6 week wait, he was going to see if he could move us up a little, saying "A dry well is more urgent than wanting your well this fall so you can build next spring." :thumbup:

Still probably going to be 3 or 4 weeks.

I can borrow either from my mom or my credit union (mom is no interest so...) Assuming he doesn't hit an odd band of clay or stone, we should get off for $2500-$3000.

in the meantime, we still don't have the money to replace the engine in the car. We are close, but... Fortunately it is still getting about 30 mpg on 3 cylinders.

On the day we haul the water, though, we have to drive the truck. 70+ miles round trip at 14 mpg, maybe.

Joy and happiness. When we had the well tested last winter, it supposedly pumped 21 gallons/minute for the 3 hour test.

"interesting times" I guess.