The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Hey Duke:

Maybe I'm very slow, but I did not understand one word of that.

My appologies; I'd have responded sooner, but I lost track of this thread. That, and having gotten it out of my system, I felt much better, and crankiness fled me completely.

briefly addressed:

Would you please explain to me what exactly random dice is

A dice run is a charity event thrown and participated in by motorcycle riders. They are like poker runs, only less 'parade oriented,' so they are less well known to the average person, even the weekend riders. Shortly explained, it is a running crap-shoot that occurs at many locations. Anyone who makes a set of natural passes can register his score to try to win the pot. Anyone who craps out must buy another shoot. Anyone is allowed to buy additional passes with additional donations, and may buy up to as many 'cash passes' as he has made natural passes.

, and what animal you gave the children pack rides on ?

A pack ride is a large group of motorcycles riding together. I generally avoid them. I have ridden and raced bikes since I was 7, and have never been involved in a street wreck. One of the reasons is that I refuse, for the most part, to participate in pack rides, which tend to attract 'lookit me' riders and knotheads intent on doing something far in excess of common sense or their own skills. I do not want to be killed because some throttle monkey ten spots up and two over is so busy waving at the crowd that he runs into the guy next to him.

What are rolls (rolls of what ?) and what do they do and how do they work

Well now you know that we were playing craps, after a fashion. The number of locations depends on the organizers and contributors. The reasons someone might want to be an organizer range from wanting to help, to wanting the publicity, to simply wanting biker traffic. (We're notoriously big eaters; restraunts love us :D ). The more locations, the more riders you tend to attract, as most of us will do anything to go riding, especially on a pretty day. You can register at any location, and shoot at any location, and turn your rolls in at any location, provided you have a validated score card. Crapped rolls are recorded immediately, so you can't 'cheat' by running off and shooting somewhere else. Further, you have to buy a roll at every location you shoot in, and buy at least one roll to register your score, wether you plan to shoot there or not.

As for what we were riding, well I guess at this point it's obvious: we were on motorcycles.

And was your friend driving a truck or SUV ?

Yes! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, he might as well have been! The Honda Goldwing is as close to a car as you can get and still fall over. There are Winnebagos with less luxurious appointments.

This will help a bit: pictures!:

http://www.gwocgb.co.uk/pages/gl1800info.htm

Information, please ?

It looks like I make just enough money to live on my own. IF I did not have my credit card debt. With that' date=' I appear to be mildly screwed.[/quote']

Good luck.

I've been trying to figure out some ways to bring in extra cash. No luck so far.

At least if I can get a deer this month, It will be a bunch of meat in the fridge.

16 Hours ... Chronic Insomia ... why I hate my coworkers.

Today, one of my 'coworkers' called out sick. Another is on vacation. Leaving buy one person to cover the Grave Shift.

So I am staying to help him. Pulling a double shift = 16 hours.

I am a chronic insomniac, I've not had a bout in a little over two years. Mostly because my beautiful wife has tempered my patterns a bit and really, why stay awake when you can sleep with a beautiful woman.

So, now that I'm here. I can feel it creep back into my brain. And the distress, the rage and a few other rather weird things it brings with it.

If this trips a full bout I shall be deranged in a week. A few days I might weather fine. My worst case lasted almost a month. A month of 2 hrs of sleep at a time. We'll see... in the meantime I shall seethe and plan the destruction of humanity. And work of course.

Joy and happiness. When we had the well tested last winter, it supposedly pumped 21 gallons/minute for the 3 hour test.

Any hope of the dryness being seasonal, and once the dry season's over, getting water out of it again? That would sort of be the ultimate pie in the face: You pay for a new well, and get it about the same time as old one starts supplying again, and then turns out late next summer it's just as seasonal as the old one.

If that's the case, then (in the long term) a storage tank would do you better than a 2nd (still seasonal) well. That does you no good in the short term, of course. :(

Any hope of the dryness being seasonal, and once the dry season's over, getting water out of it again? That would sort of be the ultimate pie in the face: You pay for a new well, and get it about the same time as old one starts supplying again, and then turns out late next summer it's just as seasonal as the old one.

If that's the case, then (in the long term) a storage tank would do you better than a 2nd (still seasonal) well. That does you no good in the short term, of course. :(

The water level seems to have fallen dramatically. Remember the "governor" declared a drought emergency several months ago. The worst hit areas were the Yakima Valley ones, but it has been pretty bad here.

I can't afford to just hope. We had 6" of water in the bottom of the well until about 2 weeks ago.

Another well west of us went dry in June.

We'll take the 46' well down to somewhere in the 80' range, If we can afford to, down to about 100'.

Some time in the future, we'll add a holding tank, preferably 1000+ gallon.

You're sleepy? I'm living with an 18-day-old infant. No sympathy for you!

18 days... OK, you're well into the acute stages of sleep deprivation, and about a third to a quarter of the way to reaching acute and chronic.

Don't worry, the cranky goes away, to be replaced by raw stupefaction.

At one point, I threatened my son (about a year old at the time, IIRC) that he couldn't have the car keys until his parents got to sleep uninterrupted through the night at least once. With the rate of progress he was making toward that goal, it seemed like that threat would provide relevant motivation. :eek:

The water level seems to have fallen dramatically. Remember the "governor" declared a drought emergency several months ago. The worst hit areas were the Yakima Valley ones, but it has been pretty bad here.

I can't afford to just hope. We had 6" of water in the bottom of the well until about 2 weeks ago.

Another well west of us went dry in June.

We'll take the 46' well down to somewhere in the 80' range, If we can afford to, down to about 100'.

Some time in the future, we'll add a holding tank, preferably 1000+ gallon.

As a former well technician, I'd say this sounds like your best course of action. You don't mention if it's a hardrock well or not (makes a big difference in how affected by drought your well will be), but 46 feet is pretty darn shallow. dropping the depth will, at the very least, give you more in pipe storage (its been a few years, but IIRC, a 6" shaft gives you 1.5 gallons per foot storage). The storage tank is your best long term solution... I've rigged up systems where the wells were producing less than 1 GPM with tanks and made things liveable before...(I don't know your regs, but here in Cali, off grid prop[erty is required to have 5 GPM or more in order to be considered usable, and tanks are the standard way to buffer a low producing well to provide sufficent water reserves for use). Feel free to PM me if you are thinking about doing the tank yourself and want any tips, tricks or advice.

Oh, and I'm gonna be back on occasion from my self imposed exile...

For my own cranky contribution....

One of the sore points concerning my breakup of several months back was that I was spending to much time on the boards.

So I've been taking a break, and now that we seem to be back together, I'm gonna take it VERY easy on here.

Funny thing tho... the boy she dated for the couple of months we were apart was FAR more of a R/T gamer than I am, and she got to discover what being a gamer widow is REALLY like (Chatting with her on IM on a saturday night because she was sitting home alone "I wanted to go out, but its game night")

Speaking of which...

Am I a dinosaur? I have always referred to it as gaming, or playing a game. Since I've been interacting with some of my local gamers, I've discovered they all use the word "game" almost exclusively.. as in... "I can't go out, I have game tonight." "Are you gonna be at game sunday?".

Seems odd to me.

Am I a dinosaur? I have always referred to it as gaming, or playing a game. Since I've been interacting with some of my local gamers, I've discovered they all use the word "game" almost exclusively.. as in... "I can't go out, I have game tonight." "Are you gonna be at game sunday?".

Seems odd to me.

And I thought using "it's" as a possessive was bad. Kids nowadays can't even learn to speak correctly? What is the world coming to?

As a former well technician, I'd say this sounds like your best course of action. You don't mention if it's a hardrock well or not (makes a big difference in how affected by drought your well will be), but 46 feet is pretty darn shallow. dropping the depth will, at the very least, give you more in pipe storage (its been a few years, but IIRC, a 6" shaft gives you 1.5 gallons per foot storage). The storage tank is your best long term solution... I've rigged up systems where the wells were producing less than 1 GPM with tanks and made things liveable before...(I don't know your regs, but here in Cali, off grid prop[erty is required to have 5 GPM or more in order to be considered usable, and tanks are the standard way to buffer a low producing well to provide sufficent water reserves for use). Feel free to PM me if you are thinking about doing the tank yourself and want any tips, tricks or advice.

One of the sore points concerning my breakup of several months back was that I was spending to much time on the boards.

So I've been taking a break, and now that we seem to be back together, I'm gonna take it VERY easy on here.

Funny thing tho... the boy she dated for the couple of months we were apart was FAR more of a R/T gamer than I am, and she got to discover what being a gamer widow is REALLY like (Chatting with her on IM on a saturday night because she was sitting home alone "I wanted to go out, but its game night")

Speaking of which...

Seems odd to me.

It's odd to me, too.

Best of luck with the relationship.

I've not heard it called "game" that way. kids these days.:rolleyes::D

As to the well, we are in sand, the one a couple plots west of us was still in sand when they decided they were deep enough at 83'. Theirs was originally 44 feet.

Last winter it supposedly tested good at 21 gpm on the three hour flow test.

I'm not sure there wasn't some hinkieness involved, a few oddities.

We'll survive.

Good luck, Try to keep in touch enough that we know your alive at least. ;)

Speaking of which...

Seems odd to me.

I've not heard it called "game" that way. kids these days.:rolleyes::D

As to the well, we are in sand, the one a couple plots west of us was still in sand when they decided they were deep enough at 83'. Theirs was originally 44 feet.

Last winter it supposedly tested good at 21 gpm on the three hour flow test.

I'm not sure there wasn't some hinkieness involved, a few oddities.

We'll survive.

Good luck, Try to keep in touch enough that we know your alive at least. ;)

Ugh. Sand wells.

Very very techy. You have my sympathies. Any well supplied from groundwater rather than aquifers is gonna be quite seasonal in output and affected by standing water conditions. If you have to drill a new well, and have the mmoney to spend, and local conditions are right for it (I don't know your areas geography) sinking a rock well would/should solve most of your problems. Except that they can be bloody expensive to someone short on funds already, and they tend to go deeper... the company I worked for did almost exclusively bedrock wells due to groundwater contamination issues in the regioon I was in, and most of our wells ran in the 100-800 foot range. This was up in the mountains too, where you're not looking at a lot of topsoil. The big problem with a rock well is that its a total crapshoot how deep you have to go to get a good fracture, and you never know what kinda production you'll get.

Seriously... Good luck.

I don't know your skill set and background, but if you don't already know a bunch of DIY info about wells and pumps I might be able to help you save some dough on labor costs if nothing else... I might as well put my knowlegde to good use helping a friend in need. Pump systems and tanks aren't really that hard to install, and I spent a couple of years doing it.

Ugh. Sand wells.

Very very techy. You have my sympathies. Any well supplied from groundwater rather than aquifers is gonna be quite seasonal in output and affected by standing water conditions. If you have to drill a new well, and have the mmoney to spend, and local conditions are right for it (I don't know your areas geography) sinking a rock well would/should solve most of your problems. Except that they can be bloody expensive to someone short on funds already, and they tend to go deeper... the company I worked for did almost exclusively bedrock wells due to groundwater contamination issues in the regioon I was in, and most of our wells ran in the 100-800 foot range. This was up in the mountains too, where you're not looking at a lot of topsoil. The big problem with a rock well is that its a total crapshoot how deep you have to go to get a good fracture, and you never know what kinda production you'll get.

Seriously... Good luck.

I don't know your skill set and background, but if you don't already know a bunch of DIY info about wells and pumps I might be able to help you save some dough on labor costs if nothing else... I might as well put my knowlegde to good use helping a friend in need. Pump systems and tanks aren't really that hard to install, and I spent a couple of years doing it.

THere is a band of granite down there SOMEWHERE. If we hit it too soon, we may be basically bankrupt.

If we can get by in sand with 80-100 feet 0f depth, we should be ok at only about $2500-3000.

UGH.

Actually, I should add, I've heard "we got game" and similar phrases from working in the sportswear industry, but it isn't quite used in the same manner as described earlier in this thread and I certainly never heard it in the context of RPGing, but all of us in my group are middle-aged.