The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I spent too much money this month on silly things because I'm sad. I'm still sad. Star is slowly destroying my dining room chairs. She has also dug holes in the new desk chair by jumping on top of it and she claws other things too. Why bother to get new furniture for the new Townhouse, she'll just destroy that too. My couch, dining room chairs, desk chair and recliner are badly clawed and they look lousy, but there's nothing I can do about it. I guess it's either put up with your furniture and rugs being ruined or do without pets. Star even bothers the computer wires. I just want to give up. I can't do it anymore. :(

Have you tried Feliway? Apparently it calms cats considerably. Meanwhile, put double-sided tape on wherever you don't want them touching, and make sure they have an easily accessible scratching post. If/when you catch them clawing things they shouldn't, redirect them to the scratching post.

and keep a squirt bottle of water handy... if re-directing them doesn't work, a couple of good squirt usually do... of our three, GreyCloud was the hardest to train, but eventually he figured it out... I literally held kitty boot-camp one day... on one of my days off, whenever I would see one of the cats heading for forbidden items, I'd snatch them up, take them to the scratching post and show them how to use it... it worked fairly well, but it took concerted effort...

and keep a squirt bottle of water handy...

I can attest to the effectiveness of that. After getting hosed down once or twice, simply reaching for the squirt bottle is enough to make them stop what they're doing and run for cover.

Yeah, we have one cat who'll freeze in his tracks, then BOLT away when he sees us with anything that sprays in our hands. Canned air, squirt bottles, aerosol cans . . . Any of those, and he'll act like he's done something wrong, even if we're just punishing another cat. It's kind of funny.

Squirt bottles work on quite a few cats. One cat at the sanctuary, I got to the point of just saying her name in a command tone and she'll stop. But that was after quite some work of convincing her she'd get sprayed down otherwise. Pretty smart cat actually.

There are some cats that water has no effect on. One of mine, no effect really.

Other things to try besides what others have said is citrus. Cats aren't too fond of it and if you don't mind your furniture smelling like an orange, sometimes works.

Thanks all.

We do have two squirt bottles that had fallen into disuse, but my cats have not forgotten them. I just pick one up and Star, the naughty one, runs. Stripes too. Stripes is a much better behaved cat. She only scratches the posts, she cleans up after herself in the litter box, she finishes her meals. She does not pester nearly as much as Star. Star claws EVERYTHING including the carpet. She climbs the screen, it's full of holes now, she scratches the sides of the litter box after use, she sits on the computer and pulls keys off them. Bad Kitty ! She's lucky she's so pretty and sweet. :rolleyes:

It's good that my at-home-sick five-year-old told me he missed the potty. Because then I could go in and squeegee the pee off the walls, floor, floor mat, toilet seat, and about everywhere else in the bathroom. How does a five-year-old's body hold that much urine? Good lord. And next time, if you're going to miss the toilet, could you not manage to hit the basket of toilet paper rolls about two feet to the right of the bowl? How did you manage to track that far right?

It's good that my at-home-sick five-year-old told me he missed the potty. Because then I could go in and squeegee the pee off the walls' date=' floor, floor mat, toilet seat, and about everywhere else in the bathroom. How does a five-year-old's body hold that much urine? Good lord. And next time, if you're going to miss the toilet, could you not manage to hit the basket of toilet paper rolls about two feet to the right of the bowl? How did you manage to track that far right?[/quote'] Dan, hope your kid gets better! But man, what a funny post, lol.

How did you manage to track that far right?
Practice makes perfect. :D

"Thank you for ordering that printer ink we asked for. I don't want to sound ungrateful' date=' but next time, could you please get the cartridges that are compatible with the printer?"[/quote']

Totally know how that goes. I order my own any more...easier and I get them the next day since I order them online.

"Thank you for ordering that printer ink we asked for. I don't want to sound ungrateful' date=' but next time, could you please get the cartridges that are compatible with the printer?"[/quote']

That's nothin'. We lease a printer, at my work, and they provide all the toner and maintenance. They sent us toner cartridges that don't fit. When my boss called this morning, they informed him it's because the printer will require some kind of upgrade.

How nice of them to tell us BEFORE we ran out of toner! :mad:

I'd been thinking about calling in tired today. Now I wish I had.

Been there, but I ordered the wrong stuff for my printer at home. Took it back and exchanged it...for another wrong cartridge. Sat in my car and called myself all sorts of names until I started laughing uncontrollably.