The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Yeah' date=' and if you're trying to run virtual on VMware ESX, the system clock needs to be within five minutes of the server clock or it won't run at all. Just one of those liiiiittle things in IT that's just unbelievably annoying.[/quote']

Yurp. I believe 5 minutes is the default for auth tokens as well. While I'll certainly grant that some IT departments make random weird rules just to flex (fortunately I've never worked for one, or even had to deal with one) there are a number of things that seem like they are just random that actually have reasons behind them.

I'm not exactly welling up with the sympathy' date=' here. Why not share the burden with the frontline cash staff? It is possible to run a dairy department and still take time out to respond to lineups.[/quote']

Depends on when he was hired, maybe he was told he would never have to deal with people? He might even have a slight phobia.

At one job, I refused to start cold calling people to see if they wanted our service. I was hired as a programmer, not sales.

When the hell did "waiting on" become acceptable grammar, anyway? Unless you're a waiter or a waitress, you wait for stuff. Right?

Even I catch myself using "on" nowadays, and that's infinitely more annoying than hearing someone else use it.

Earth to Atlanta:

Seems we've sold 2--3 cans of Full Throttle in the last two weeks, and the backstock just keeps piling up. Meanwhile, we can't get the four-packs in.

The reason, as it turns out, is that our backlog of singles is all expired. It seems that the entire distribution chain is full of expired Full Throttle. So while there's plenty of product in the distribution chain, there's none to sell. Now we're going to have to tap the well and turn all this expired product around at massive cost (for the distributor) and considerable trouble for us.

Kinda reminds me of something. Fanta? Coke Blak? Hey, guess who distributes Full Throttle to us?

No fair; you guessed.

Hey, Coke shareholders? Maybe there could be, y'know, action?

Hey' date=' Coke shareholders? Maybe there could be, y'know, action?[/quote']

I'd love to see some marketing VPs heads roll (literally), but like most middle-income folks, my stock ownership is through mutual funds, not through direct company ownership ... diversifying your risk and all that. So ... the trouble is, those mutual fund managers, to whom the proxy statements go, are in bed with the executives and board members, and so there's no way to bring even my puny hundred shares' votes to bear in complaint.

Who the heck is Agrajag?

Back on topic: Is it okay to cuss out obnoxious people on the train who seem to be purposely trying to get on your nerves? Or kick their butts...

Once while riding a bus I threatened to break the arm of a teenaged girl who kept flashing her laser pointer in my face. I did so very calmly and matter of factly. She got a defiant, pissed off look on her face, but then gave the pointer back to her friend, who put it in her backpack. I don't think I would've done it, but I was pretty pissed.

EDIT: Oh, and Agrajag is from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. :)

Once while riding a bus I threatened to break the arm of a teenaged girl who kept flashing her laser pointer in my face. I did so very calmly and matter of factly. She got a defiant, pissed off look on her face, but then gave the pointer back to her friend, who put it in her backpack. I don't think I would've done it, but I was pretty pissed.

Considering she could have blinded you, I don't blame you for being upset one bit

Once while riding a bus I threatened to break the arm of a teenaged girl who kept flashing her laser pointer in my face. I did so very calmly and matter of factly. She got a defiant' date=' pissed off look on her face, but then gave the pointer back to her friend, who put it in her backpack. I don't think I would've done it, but I was pretty pissed.[/quote']

The last time anything like that happened (pen-light rather than laser pointer, but still annoying as f***), I grabbed it and threw it out the window.

Anyway, it may be inappropriate, but I'm going to post a cranky for my boss.

His ex-wife took their kids to get some rather expensive dental work done, then stuck him with the bill. He doesn't have the money. I'm willing to bet she knew this, but she didn't check first. Anyway, last night, she called about him paying, he re-informed her that he couldn't and she told him that he might as well sign the rights to the kids over to her so her (expletives deleted) husband can adopt them.

He proceeded to punch a door at his house, which at last report, had been bleeding for well over 12 hours.

His ex-wife took their kids to get some rather expensive dental work done, then stuck him with the bill. He doesn't have the money. I'm willing to bet she knew this, but she didn't check first. Anyway, last night, she called about him paying, he re-informed her that he couldn't and she told him that he might as well sign the rights to the kids over to her so her (expletives deleted) husband can adopt them.

She's a manipulative @!*<#, isn't she?

My sympathies to your boss.

Okay, if you want to do that, you'll have to fill out this sleep request form, and then go stand in that line to turn it in. Have your $50 ready. No, you can't use a credit card. You'll get a decision from the county in 10-15 working days.

It's called a toilet plunger. It's easy to use, and not using it is not an option. Not using it at work because of not wanting to use it? Not an excuse. Weirding out at people who use it instead of ignoring a stinky plugged up toilet in the customer's washroom? Not helping at any level.