The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Eh ?

:confused:

Go here, and see item 5 in Part 4. It is unattributed, but I said that. (It's a friend's blog.)

In short, I think I've got two kids copying each other's exam responses, and my carefully-woven mask of urbane tolerance and good nature vanishes like spiderweb in a blast furnace when that kind of thing happens.

Were it up to me, there'd be required-attendance public executions so the entire university community could listen to hours of their agonized death screams and rejoice in the purging of the world of these so-called "people".

:straight:

Haven't read that one.

One of the guys involved has confessed, so the other one is clear. I now have to decide what to do in terms of penalty. This being a Jesuit institution, the administration are really into confession, contrition, and forgiveness. So no burnings. Darn.

Haven't read that one.

One of the guys involved has confessed, so the other one is clear. I now have to decide what to do in terms of penalty. This being a Jesuit institution, the administration are really into confession, contrition, and forgiveness. So no burnings. Darn.

Maybe you could assign 24-hours of self-flagellation as the penance?

Let it go???

“Its been 3 years – isn’t it time to let it go?”

Let it go? For you to have any clue as to what it is I feel, walk a mile in my shoes. Your best friend has been working a job for 20 years, something that gives them absolute joy. They have a large circle of friends and acquaintances, and being a social person, this also makes them happy. Now imagine one of those "friends" tells a lie, and that her co-workers, some of whom they have known for 20 years, actually believe that lie. And that without even asking your friend about it, or giving them a chance to "explain" thing, they fire them. Just.like.that.

Imagine what this would do to your friend.

Now imagine that all of those friends and acquaintances are nowhere to be found. No one takes the co-workers to task. Almost no one but you and the friend's spouse stands up or speaks out. Or, even worse, people turn against your friend because of 4-year old gossip - gossip which also happens to be a lie. As a result of all of this, the past 20-years of your friend's life gets flushed down the toilet, something that gave them pleasure and socialization is gone, and your friend sinks into the deepest depression they have ever known. And all you can do is sit and watch. For weeks. For months.

Now imagine when you see those people again, the ones who ran out when it counted, everyone acts all concerned, asking how your friend is doing... and the stench of their hypocrisy and cowardice make you ill. Imagine seeing the people who wronged your friend so badly going on as if nothing had ever happened, and seeing the people who claimed to support your friend giving her attackers their friendship and support.

You go through all of that, and then come back in three years and tell me how charitable you feel, and how ready you are to just “let it go.”

And even then, I’ll still tell you to get stuffed! Because even if you had perfect empathy with my anger, you have no right to tell me how I should feel.

So' date=' am I justified in being rather offended that someone has chosen to call me a 'moron' simply because I don't like the same movies she does?[/quote']

Depends on what movies you like.

:D

Seriously, no idea. Depends on how her delivery was.

So' date=' am I justified in being rather offended that someone has chosen to call me a 'moron' simply because I don't like the same movies she does?[/quote']

Kinda depends. If you said, for instance, "God, that movie sucked. People who liked it should be beaten unconscious and set alight," she's maybe justified.

Not sayin' you did, just sayin'. :)

Kinda depends. If you said, for instance, "God, that movie sucked. People who liked it should be beaten unconscious and set alight," she's maybe justified.

Not sayin' you did, just sayin'. :)

I said "I didn't like LotR." which is the truth, I did not. I didn't impugn anybody who did like it.