The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

So our three year old Kenmore front loading Washing machine has been in the protracted NOISY process of dying for a couple of months. It sounded like an airplane landing in our house.

Last week it started making noises like chunks were falling off too...

Tuesday I bought a Maytag Front loader. It was # 4 on Consumer reports list. I got a fair deal, though I forgot that I could have gotten an even better deal through a relative. So. $769, Plus $84 tax plus $199 for a 5 year service plan.

I get it home, and it faults out because it says it isn't getting enough water.

I changed out the hoses, checked my water pressure tank for the well (90 lbs) etc.

Still faults out.

maytag will send someone out Thursday the 5th.

The machine was a "scratch and dent" from Fred's, so all sales are final.

So I am running out of clean laundry, my $1060 is currently useless...

:hush:

I will not swear a blue streak

:mad:

So our three year old Kenmore front loading Washing machine has been in the protracted NOISY process of dying for a couple of months. It sounded like an airplane landing in our house.

Last week it started making noises like chunks were falling off too...

Tuesday I bought a Maytag Front loader. It was # 4 on Consumer reports list. I got a fair deal, though I forgot that I could have gotten an even better deal through a relative. So. $769, Plus $84 tax plus $199 for a 5 year service plan.

I get it home, and it faults out because it says it isn't getting enough water.

I changed out the hoses, checked my water pressure tank for the well (90 lbs) etc.

Still faults out.

maytag will send someone out Thursday the 5th.

The machine was a "scratch and dent" from Fred's, so all sales are final.

So I am running out of clean laundry, my $1060 is currently useless...

:hush:

:mad:

I ranted about this not long ago. Our $1100 Whirlpool Duet had been noisy from the start, repair guys had said that's just how it was. One day, I'm home taking a shower, throw a load in before, and I hear this loud slam and the house literally shakes. Thought somebody had driven into my house. Turns out the washer has a series of three 25-pound concrete counterweights that keep it balanced (or semi-balanced, in our case) while it spins. With my washer, one of the weights broke off at full spin (1050 rpm), and the washer KEPT ON OPERATING. Didn't shut down at all. Beat the hell out of the thing, just destroyed the innards. I eventually got somebody at Whirlpool to promise to cover parts for the repairs (they weren't supposed to, but since it was promised they kept it), even though it was out of warranty. Like $700 in parts. Was pretty ridiculous.

For the physics geeks out there, feel free to calculate the amount of force generated when a 25-pound object breaks off at 1050 rpm spinning around a 17-inch diameter circle. Yeesh.

For the physics geeks out there' date=' feel free to calculate the amount of force generated when a 25-pound object breaks off at 1050 rpm spinning around a 17-inch diameter circle. Yeesh.[/quote']

Hmm. If I was teaching mechanics this quarter instead of modern physics, I'd assign this as a problem. :ugly:

For real fun, compare it to the muzzle velocity of a black-powder breechloading smoothbore cannon. :doi:

Nothing that used to excite me does anymore.

I'm supposed to go to Disney World in a week.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s I loved Disney World and went many times.

Now I just don't want to go. I hate traveling these days and I used to love it.

No joy. No enthusiasm. Nothing.

That's one of the joys of parenthood. Soon after my boy learned to walk, I got to teach him about private property, locked doors, and trespassing. Now after three years of teaching him to be friendly and outgoing, I will shortly have to unteach him that so he can be properly fearful of strangers.