The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

So I went to visit family this past weekend. I'm not real close with any of them; we all went in different directions with our lives, but we get along fairly well. I talked with one of my brothers about what's going on in his life, and the story really made me mad.

See, my brother has never exactly had an easy life. A lot of that was his own fault, but much more of it was just life taking a giant dump on him. But a few years ago, he started to get his act together. He went to Chef School. He did real well, too; became a favorite of both his classmates and his teachers. His mentor told him that he was doing well enough that he could skip a bunch of classes and graduate early, but my brother said no, he wanted to go through the whole program so he could learn everything. His team even won a gold medal at a prestigious chef competition.

He had really turned his life around. He had a whole promising career ahead of him.

Then, about a month ago, he was driving the school van to a catering event and some @$$hole ran a red light and t-boned him. Cracked the van completely in half. Luckily, my brother survived. It jacked up his back, dislocated his hip, sprained his ankle and hurt both his knees, but he survived. He's in a lot of pain, and it's tough to see him hobbling around the house, but I'm sure he'll get better.

But the worst part is, his hands have developed a terrible shake. The doctors don't know why -- it might be nerve damage, it might be a concussion, it might be PSTD. But because of it, he can't even safely hold a knife... which means he can't be a chef anymore.

His whole career, the bright light that he'd been working towards, is now fading away. Goddammit. Just as he was finally getting his life together, something like this has to happen. :mad:

That sucks. Hope he can recover. Send him my best.

Thanks, again.

The doctors gave him six months to a year, longer if he responds well to the medication (which he says he is). I hope he stays around a bit longer, as long as he's not suffering. I'll try to fly over to see him, as soon as I make sure I can pay my bills while I'm away from work.

So a couple months ago I went through PHysical therapy to improve my posture, as that was felt to be the best/easiest way to deal with the apparent bulged disc in my Neck.

Of course our insurance has a $1500 deductible, so I am behind on that...

I thought I had managed to improve my posture enough, but then the muscle spasm in my left trapezius started up again...

Last Thursday I was unloading a half ton of hay for my wife's horse, AKA the Hay burning Yard Dog, AKA the Emergency meat supply.

It is amazing how easy it is to get out of balance when hauling a 110 lb bale out of a trailer. So then I missed part of two days work, had pain all weekend, and am working today with ice packs strapped to my lower back under my uniform shirt.

I am only 42. I Should NOT be falling apart this quickly.

:help:

I used to wonder what the big deal was with back pain. Then I had a kid who for the first six months of his life would not go to sleep unless he was being held and bounced. It's not like he weighed a lot, but I've already decided that he's going to grow up to be a chiropractor.

One of the most painful experiences of my life was when my back spasmed while I was trying to get to sleep. I was totally stressed about my job at the time. I spent the next eight hours trying to get to some sort of agreement with my back not to be in pain before being able to see my doctor. (Muscle relaxers and pain meds for a bit, and then I went back to doing Kenpo to strengthen my back muscles.)

My sympathies gewing.