The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

So I sympathize with you that a customer was yelling at you. But I wonder how badly your bosses screwed them over to get them to that level of anger and frustration. :(

Nothing. I work in a restaurant. They just go "Gimme a f**king (this), a f**king (that)," and if I double-check something I may not have heard right (I'm half-deaf in my left ear), they shout "I said (this), you stupid motherf**ker." Specific words vary, but I usually get one of these every day or two. I attribute it to the general attitude around this redneck of the woods.

I'm just a restaurant grunt, so I have no feelings and don't deserve to be treated like a human being, apparently.

I'm sad that I'm getting to the point where I can no longer work due to my condition, but dealing with the public is not something I'm going to miss.

Nothing. I work in a restaurant. They just go "Gimme a f**king (this), a f**king (that)," and if I double-check something I may not have heard right (I'm half-deaf in my left ear), they shout "I said (this), you stupid motherf**ker." Specific words vary, but I usually get one of these every day or two. I attribute it to the general attitude around this redneck of the woods.

I'm just a restaurant grunt, so I have no feelings and don't deserve to be treated like a human being, apparently.

I'm sad that I'm getting to the point where I can no longer work due to my condition, but dealing with the public is not something I'm going to miss.

I have no idea what it is about restaurants that make half the people patronizing them turn into worst-behaving human-shaped pieces of s***, but I've observed it before, and not just in "that redneck of the woods." (I like the phrase, by the way.) I've never been a waitress, and never could be, because of such people. But when I see people treating my waitress that way, I make sure to leave an extra-large tip, or tell the manager the customers don't deserve to eat off the floor in the bathroom because of their behavior and what the waitress has gone through because of them.

Someone has to.

I have no idea what it is about restaurants that make half the people patronizing them turn into worst-behaving human-shaped pieces of s***' date=' but I've observed it before, and not just in "that redneck of the woods." (I like the phrase, by the way.) [/quote']

Thank you. :)

I've never been a waitress, and never could be, because of such people. But when I see people treating my waitress that way, I make sure to leave an extra-large tip, or tell the manager the customers don't deserve to eat off the floor in the bathroom because of their behavior and what the waitress has gone through because of them.

Someone has to.

I blame the 'The Customer Is Always Right' meme, which is bullcrap at its finest.

I've been at my job for 8 1/2 years. For the first five, I had a great manager. I started without much experience, and she more or less came up to me, looked me in the eye, and told me that, due to some staff turnover in recent months, there were a lot of very serious responsibilities that needed to be done and, if I was able and willing, she would give them to me. She did, and I made sure she never regretted that; I worked my butt off. She never micro-managed and always told us "do your job, and I only need to know about the things I need to know about", and we had a good enough communication system in place that we always seemed to know whatever she needed to know about. She supported us, fought battles for us when needed, stood up when she needed to, never meddled unnecessarily, and, when there was somebody in our group who wasn't cutting it, had enough spine to fire them. She is, without question, the best management I've ever had or will ever have. She also became a good friend over time, and is one of the few people in the D.C. area I really, really miss.

About 3 1/2 years ago, due to contractual changes, all the management was let go. Shortly thereafter, she let us know she'd been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, which has an absolutely lousy five-year survival rate (around 35%). She went through chemotherapy, hospital stays, losing her hair, sickness, pain, not being able to work, and all sorts of other things, and no one has ever heard her complain even once about it.

Chemo didn't work. She's leaving the hospital for the last time today and going home for Hospice care. And she's still not complaining. She's more interested in Obama winning than the fact that she's dying.

Cancer sucks.

I blame the 'The Customer Is Always Right' meme, which is bullcrap at its finest.

You can exploit this to your advantage. For example, at certain unnamed jewelry stores, if you yell and scream loudly enough, you can get your very expensive jewelry replaced for free even if you deliberately destroyed or even lost it. It might not come in its baby blue box with white ribbon, though.

Nothing. I work in a restaurant. They just go "Gimme a f**king (this)' date=' a f**king (that)," and if I double-check something I may not have heard right (I'm half-deaf in my left ear), they shout "I said (this), you stupid motherf**ker." Specific words vary, but I usually get one of these every day or two. I attribute it to the general attitude around this redneck of the woods.[/quote']

Sorry, man. I hope I didn't imply that I think you're at fault. Far from it. Some people are just adzeholes.

You can exploit this to your advantage. For example' date=' at certain unnamed jewelry stores, if you yell and scream loudly enough, you can get your very expensive jewelry replaced for free even if you deliberately destroyed or even lost it. It might not come in its baby blue box with white ribbon, though.[/quote']

Not my style. If I break it, my bad. This accursed honesty, always a thorn in my side ...

Sorry' date=' man. I hope I didn't imply that I think you're at fault. Far from it. Some people are just adzeholes.[/quote']

You didn't imply it (or if you did, it went right over my head, so no blood no foul either way). :) And yeah, I know ... I just wonder why they all come to my restaurant.:nonp:

Edit: My restaurant as in, the one I work at. I don't actually own the place ... just clarifyin'.

13 year old cat... with diabetes. Not really cranky so much as sad, since we've pretty much decided to put her down. Two daily injections and multiple glucose tests... um, no.

She's a pet, and she's loved, but... she's a pet.

I'll miss her, but... she was always pretty zen and standoffish most of the time, only coming by for attention once or twice a week... sometimes less than that. She was good about coming by when we were upset, though. House cat.

Not a bad life for a former prison cat, pretty good run all things considered.