The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Soda withdrawal continues, by choice. It has been almost a full week since my last one, and before that, 5 days or more had passed.

I'm still undecided if I WANT to give it up, though it would be better for my teeth, my weight, my budget etc, it is also hardly my worst vice. It also doesn't seem to be helping me lose much weight at all so far.

But I do want to see if I can kick the habit out of will power. Then if I decide I want to, I can go back, hopefully in a more moderate fashion.

So far so good, but I am feeling a bit touchier/crankier than usual

If I can offer some advice, try flavored sparkling water. When I had my ankle surgery I was on some pretty serious painkillers, and couldn't touch alcohol. I'm a beer guy, and I like my snooty beer. I needed something to fill in for the "opening something to relax" ritual, and I started drinking sparkling water. It's cost-wise pretty comparable to soda, but has zero calories and zero sugar. Canada Dry's Raspberry and Lemon-Lime are quite good. I still drink sparkling water all the time, it's filled in for a lot of things that are worse for me.

Certainly not as flavorful, but it might be worth a shot.

Is that even possible?

Yes.

And apparently, from information at the Citizens of the Imperium website, this is not the full product (it is, at most, and alpha release), and supposedly, no one who received the disc is supposed to discuss the product. I'm not really sure how they'll enforce that, but I've already deleted a different post that did discuss problems.

I will say that I had no interest in participating in playtesting the system, so I'm now more disgruntled with this turn of events.

It's at this moment that I'm really thankful for the professionalism of the staff at Hero Games. It's a reason that I tend to spend my money with them first.

JoeG

Wisdom teeth removal is no fun.

It can be, if you do it right!

Me, I like to kneel on the guy's chest and bang the back of his head against the ground a couple of times to take most of the fight out of him. Then I pry open his mouth, and...

Oh... you meant having your wisdom teeth removed. Yeah, in that case, it's probably not much fun at all, based on my experience with it. :eg:

If I can offer some advice, try flavored sparkling water. When I had my ankle surgery I was on some pretty serious painkillers, and couldn't touch alcohol. I'm a beer guy, and I like my snooty beer. I needed something to fill in for the "opening something to relax" ritual, and I started drinking sparkling water. It's cost-wise pretty comparable to soda, but has zero calories and zero sugar. Canada Dry's Raspberry and Lemon-Lime are quite good. I still drink sparkling water all the time, it's filled in for a lot of things that are worse for me.

Certainly not as flavorful, but it might be worth a shot.

Thanks, it probably would be ideal, except around here at least I can still get soda for much cheaper

I'm hoping that there are people on this board who, perhaps having had more normal emotional development cycles, can help me figure this out.

I hate my brother. We've never gotten along particularly well, and in semi-recent years (we've hardly spoken a word in about 8 years, I think) it only got worse. In theory, when you're getting hassled and tormented by people, your older brother is supposed to back you up and help you out, not join in ... that sort of thing.

Some time ago, we agreed to pretend to get along for the sake of my mother, but that went down the flusher when she was going to bring him, and possibly his kids, up for a visit and I was sick as a dog that day. My mother goes Drama Llama all over the place when I cancel, and my brother calls and leaves a message (I had returned to sleep after cancelling) stating, amongst other things, that Mother was crying and he felt he should go up there "and beat the f**k out of [me] like I'd had coming for the last 20 years".

Line crossed. Like, WAY crossed. Never Able To Go Back Across It Crossed.

I returned the call, spoke to Mom, she had calmed down and was relatively cool. I asked to speak to my brother, at which point I informed him, at the top of my lungs, that I had no brother, and hung up on him. He called back and started ranting again, and I outranted him, outright saying if he came up here I would 'make orphans out of those two brats of yours' (he hadn't remarried at the time) and hung up on him.

Now, a Mother's Day ago, I called my Mom. She had recently been through chemo/radiation therapy YET again, and sadly, Michael was there. She managed to guilt-trip me into saying I accepted his apology (I lied, I do that to my enemies). Ever since, she's been trying to get us to patch things up. She claims Michael wants it, though I don't believe it for an instant; either she's hearing what she wants to hear, or he's saying what she wants to hear.

Either way, I don't want to mend fences. Before my dad died, he, my mother, and me got together and we all agreed that Michae is an ass, and I think it's kind of telling when your parents think you're an ass. My wife thinks he's an ass. At this point, I feel comfortable in saying HE'S AN ASS. I don't miss him, I don't like him, I don't care about him. The fact that we have some similar chromosomal structures has no bearing, to me, on the fact that I hate his guts and the thought of seeing him again fills me with unbridled rage. The closest I would ever come to helping him out would be, maybe, to spit in his face if he were on fire.

So, background in place, my question is this:

Why, exactly, can my mother simply not accept that not everybody on this planet likes one another, and there's nothing wrong with me and him being in that boat?

Why, exactly, can my mother simply not accept that not everybody on this planet likes one another, and there's nothing wrong with me and him being in that boat?

Just a guess, but I'm drawing from my mother a little:

Your mom feels that brothers should like each other and that it reflects on her parenting that the two of you do not get along.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for you.

Just a guess, but I'm drawing from my mother a little:

Your mom feels that brothers should like each other and that it reflects on her parenting that the two of you do not get along.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for you.

You're probably right. Then again, it's not like this is the only thing I've done that's disappointed her because it's not the way she does things. We're about as opposite as it gets philosophically, politically, and religiously. She's even made a small fuss over my wife not taking my last name.

I'm hoping that there are people on this board who, perhaps having had more normal emotional development cycles, can help me figure this out.

I hate my brother. We've never gotten along particularly well, and in semi-recent years (we've hardly spoken a word in about 8 years, I think) it only got worse. In theory, when you're getting hassled and tormented by people, your older brother is supposed to back you up and help you out, not join in ... that sort of thing.

Some time ago, we agreed to pretend to get along for the sake of my mother, but that went down the flusher when she was going to bring him, and possibly his kids, up for a visit and I was sick as a dog that day. My mother goes Drama Llama all over the place when I cancel, and my brother calls and leaves a message (I had returned to sleep after cancelling) stating, amongst other things, that Mother was crying and he felt he should go up there "and beat the f**k out of [me] like I'd had coming for the last 20 years".

Line crossed. Like, WAY crossed. Never Able To Go Back Across It Crossed.

I returned the call, spoke to Mom, she had calmed down and was relatively cool. I asked to speak to my brother, at which point I informed him, at the top of my lungs, that I had no brother, and hung up on him. He called back and started ranting again, and I outranted him, outright saying if he came up here I would 'make orphans out of those two brats of yours' (he hadn't remarried at the time) and hung up on him.

Now, a Mother's Day ago, I called my Mom. She had recently been through chemo/radiation therapy YET again, and sadly, Michael was there. She managed to guilt-trip me into saying I accepted his apology (I lied, I do that to my enemies). Ever since, she's been trying to get us to patch things up. She claims Michael wants it, though I don't believe it for an instant; either she's hearing what she wants to hear, or he's saying what she wants to hear.

Either way, I don't want to mend fences. Before my dad died, he, my mother, and me got together and we all agreed that Michae is an ass, and I think it's kind of telling when your parents think you're an ass. My wife thinks he's an ass. At this point, I feel comfortable in saying HE'S AN ASS. I don't miss him, I don't like him, I don't care about him. The fact that we have some similar chromosomal structures has no bearing, to me, on the fact that I hate his guts and the thought of seeing him again fills me with unbridled rage. The closest I would ever come to helping him out would be, maybe, to spit in his face if he were on fire.

Perhaps, you could write a letter to her? Write down your feelings toward your brother, a reminder of various events and behaviors, and even that meeting with you and your parents. And then decide if you want to send it.

Either way, I'd suggest that you calmly refuse to talk to your brother when it is suggested. If the conversation is forcing the issue, excuse yourself as having a pressing matter, and hang up the phone. It will do no good at all to yell at each other.

JoeG

"My brothers and sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child"--"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Generic Blues"

Not necessarily. It is very uncommon' date=' but my understanding is that sometimes wisdom teeth grow back.[/quote']

Yes. Happened to my roommate. She also happens to be allergic to most painkillers.

It can be, if you do it right!

Me, I like to kneel on the guy's chest and bang the back of his head against the ground a couple of times to take most of the fight out of him. Then I pry open his mouth, and...

Oh... you meant having your wisdom teeth removed. Yeah, in that case, it's probably not much fun at all, based on my experience with it. :eg:

That works only if the wisdom teeth have emerged. Mine were determined to try to go out sideways, which doesn't work, and hurts like hell in the attempt. They had to cut open my jaw, pulverize the teeth, then extract them with a vacuum.

Wicked fun.

Well' date=' OK. In rare instances, you may have an extra set. (Paramolars I think) About as common as people who don't have any. (Hmm, coincidence?)[/quote']

Ah. Is that what it's called? All I know is, I'm quite glad it wasn't the case with me. The first set was tricky enough.