The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm cranky because I'm cranky. It's just feeding on itself right now.

Last night, dryer stopped drying. No air is coming out of the vent in the side of the house, so I'm suspicious of the vent pipe. Too late to do it last night, so I crawled into the crawl space and find the vent pipe is full of water. Hurm. I don't have the time to fix it tonight, so I'm venting into the laundry room now. When I get back from my trip, I'll replace the piping with something else.

Lot of other little things came up, and I'm just annoyed at the world. I'm going to bed early. Maybe that will help.

The power is out. Across the entire island. The last time this happened, it took HECO 24 hours to restore power, because if no generators are on, they don't have power to start the generators. :rolleyes: Nothing works. Even cell phones and landlines are spotty at best. And I really don't like it when it's this quiet in the office. The last time we computed our downtime cost it was something like $9000 per hour, and it's got to be double or triple that by now.

Now to drive home in the dark with no street or traffic lights.

Marathon (curse them) in Huntley Illinois (address available if anyone lives nearby) sold us E85 Ethanol instead of Regular 87 (or whatever) octane gasoline.

In case you don't know what this means, it means that the fuel tank has to be drained and everything sucked out of the fuel system, it's great to put E85 into flex-fuel vehicles... and a Very Bad Idea to put it into normal cars.

Maybe not as bad as regular into diesel but similar. Hopefully the car isn't permanently damaged.

So... $530 dollar dealership bill, $150 tow, and 2 vacation days (each) lost, apparently we may be able to get our money back for the gas, dealership repairs and tow (and apparently a number of others got smacked by this) ... but...

I will Never, Ever, Ever purchase anything at any Marathon again. Whether it's a franchise owner or supplier who screwed up, I don't care. I plan to trash the company to anyone who will listen. It may have been a simple mistake, but... I'm NOT happy.

This is Not Cool. We stalled out - DEAD engine - just off the interstate, after our power steering died ON the interstate. NOT COOL with a 14-month old in the car. Decent weather for Chicagoland in winter though (rainy and 60 degrees ... in December?!?).

Note, we weren't just stupid: It was labelled as regular gas.

We have set some investigators onto them, and hope to set more.

But I want to say it again, CURSE THEM.

Fortunately, it's dead at both our workplaces, and 2 extra vacation days aren't a big deal (aside from, y'know, not getting to use them on something else, which blows).

Plus side, though, sorta... grampa FINALLY spent some time with our daughter, in the extra two days we spent there... after he was mostly not present for the week we were there (and were supposed to be there). He's not taking to retirement all that well.

No sympathy from me' date=' I'm afraid. I started *losing* my hair when I was 17. What's left has been going grey since my late thirties too.[/quote']

Yeah, in my experience starting to go gray at 37 means you are going gray late, not early. Not my personal experience as pretty much my only gray is in my beard, but from others I know.

I knew a guy in high school that was mostly gray.

I first noticed grey in myself at age 29 1/2. I got a long-overdue haircut (it was my last year of grad school), and there were a couple of platoons of grey hairs on each temple. Now the grey outnumbers the brown. Hell, I even have some grey nose hairs. :ugly:

Obscenity profanity sexual-deviance snow!! Scatological blasphemy incestuous rapine profanity weather and obscenity illegitimate blasphemy sexual-incompetence road crews incest obscenity scatological sexual-deviance syphilitic obscenity incestuous rapine scatological!!!

White Christmas is OK, even if our family arrangements are screwy enough that we always do three hours on the road on Christmas.

5" of snow overnight before the eve of the first day of classes is ... annoying.

So yesterday, I get home to see if I can figure out why my pipes keep freezing, so crawl into my rather cold crawl space. Pipes are all insulated, but part of my moisture barrier is sagging down oddly, so I poke it and it sloshes. :eek:

Thankfully a rep for Cavco will be here tomorrow, so we'll figure out what the real problem is. I suspect a leak in the kitchen drainage.