The cranky thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The cranky thread

I just read that my friend had to put his Dog down last week. I'm totally bummed. Juda was the sweetest dog ever. I knew he wasn't long for the world, and I hated watching him struggle to get up to come see us on game night, but he always did. He was always so happy to see us.

I'm sad.

Hermit, I've never been in that situation, and never lost everything in a place I lived, though I've come close. You have my sympathies, and I am very glad, on this new day, the damage to my place was not worse than it is.

Yes, something to be thankful for... trying to focus on the positive here. ;)

I had a fire in my apartment while in grad school, losing most of my personal possessions. Fortunately the apartment was empty at the time; I was visiting home at the time, and my roommate was out at the observatory. The place had been empty for a week when it happened; the fire started in my bedding, and was electrical in origin. I certainly would not have survived had I been there. All my science was in my office at school, so there was no direct hit to what I was doing with my life at that time, though it made for a lot of time and energy lost, of course.

Being one for gallows humor, I got a lot out of the incident. In a conversation a couple weeks later, someone was saying, "I'm a pack rat, I still have junk like my old undergrad report cards," to which I deadpanned, "Yeah, I used to be like that." A third person caught my reference....

It also destroyed Foulstink Dungeon, a massive self-written collection of materials built for/on old D&D (the faux woodgrain box set) rules. In that sense, it liberated me from a fair portion of a metric buttload of shackles to a game system which had been already made obsolete at the time of the fire....

Well, this turned into an unexpectedly rotten day. I finally get home, after a long day at work, only to find that I can't GET home because there are 7 -- count them, 7 -- fire engines & swarms of police cars, etc. blocking off my street and my apartment building because there's been a fire. After a bit more than an hour of waiting, I finally get in... the fire was in the apartment above mine.

It stinks. I have a rotten headache from the fumes. And I've got water coming through the ceiling in various places because, of course, they had to douse the place above to kill the flames.

It could be worse... it could have been my place that had the fire. But right now, I'm having flashbacks to a couple of years ago when I got flooded out from above, in the neighboring building, and had to move to this building... and how many books, collectible cards, etc. I lost to water.

It's going to be a long night... :(

Damn, that sucks. Good luck. I remember your last fiasco with firefighting.

HSUS lost my respect some time ago, but this last bit infuriated me.

Article

It's a fairly balanced article, but they don't mention that 60 of those fighting dogs were puppies.

I am getting to the point I distrust anyone claiming to be working for Animal Rights. Or maybe I hit that a few years ago. :thumbdown

I am getting to the point I distrust anyone claiming to be working for Animal Rights. Or maybe I hit that a few years ago. :thumbdown

You do know I work in that field? ;)

Though as people have been learning, each group has it's own goals and means of getting there. I can find good that HSUS and PETA have done, but they have a crappy record in saving life.

You do know I work in that field? ;)

Though as people have been learning, each group has it's own goals and means of getting there. I can find good that HSUS and PETA have done, but they have a crappy record in saving life.

As I recall, you work with animals.:thumbup: Organizations that claim their main goal is "animal rights" such as PETA lost my respect a long time ago.

As I recall' date=' you work with animals.:thumbup: Organizations that claim their main goal is "animal rights" such as PETA lost my respect a long time ago.[/quote']

My org is pretty pro-animal rights as well. We just approach it differently than PETA & HSUS.

Best Friends just reexamined their mission and vision statements:

Vision Statement of: A Better World Through Kindness to Animals

Our Mission Statement remains the same: No More Homeless Pets

Pretty much the same as before.

We operate the largest no kill facility in the US mainly as an example, but we're a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of homeless animals that are killed each year.

Ok. Getting off the soapbox and needing to go to work.

My org is pretty pro-animal rights as well. We just approach it differently than PETA & HSUS.

Best Friends just reexamined their mission and vision statements:

Vision Statement of: A Better World Through Kindness to Animals

Our Mission Statement remains the same: No More Homeless Pets

Pretty much the same as before.

We operate the largest no kill facility in the US mainly as an example, but we're a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of homeless animals that are killed each year.

Ok. Getting off the soapbox and needing to go to work.

That is a reasonable mission. AFAIK, Peta feels that pets are better off dead, whether homeless or not...:hush: