The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Hell week, V 1.2

How I Became a Pirate opens tomorrow. I still have a hazy list of minor details I have to attend to as Props master and Crew Chief/Key Grip. They green-lighted my pirate costume, however, so I get to wear my own clothes while I get occasionally seen moving the huge freaking set.

My hands aren't speaking to me right now. WAYYYYY to many knots in much heavy manila line.

However this did lead to an amusing exchange in the garden during the Camp lunch break...

"What's that?"

"It's a tops'l halyard gaff knot."

"A what?"

"A sailor knot."

I've been venting a lot at work. We have someone who thinks we need to rename animals that have been at the sanctuary for 10 years, because their name is the same as another. She can't tell them apart in the data system, even though they have a number and a few other identifiers as well.

/cue singing/

Hello CPAP here I come....

/end singing, sweep up broken windows, calm down the howling dogs/

I had a "sleep study" last night.

As I was pretty certain, I have sleep Apnea.

Now to see how long my insurance delays me getting a CPAP and figure out how to pay Group Death for all this stuff...:nonp:

There are friends of mine I desperately miss being with, and feeling welcome amongst. Alas, the distance that is now there is because of my past behavior. I've done all I can to not be that person anymore, but there is utterly nothing I can do to on their end. I can't make them hurry-up and decide I am welcome again... I might never be welcome among them again. But I still miss them. And it hurts like hell to see them hanging out amongst one another, interacting with one another, and knowing that while it is OK for me to be present, I am not-yet welcome to be among them.

There are friends of mine I desperately miss being with' date=' and feeling welcome amongst. Alas, the distance that is now there is because of [i']my[/i] past behavior. I've done all I can to not be that person anymore, but there is utterly nothing I can do to on their end. I can't make them hurry-up and decide I am welcome again... I might never be welcome among them again. But I still miss them. And it hurts like hell to see them hanging out amongst one another, interacting with one another, and knowing that while it is OK for me to be present, I am not-yet welcome to be among them.

Years ago I lost touch with a close friend... My fault. I can't really blame him for being upset by my too often sleeping right through the days we were supposed to do something. Sure, I was depressed, etc, but that is not his fault.

I found him through Myspace, and though we have sent a couple emails back and forth...

He was recently divorced. His wife and I did not get along real well, but I am still sad for them both.

Joe, I know you don't lurk here, but I wish you well anyway.

At the time, I was in many ways closer to him than to my own brother. We actually had more in common. :(

I'm grumpy today. My University's IT department is updating things for a change coming this September - October and part of that is clearing up everyone's user accounts. That makes sense and I'm okay with that. Part of this update is that they are taking my old staff e-mail account and changing it into a Student account since I no longer work for them but do go to school there. That seems fine, I'll miss having my easy account name (last name followed by first and middle initial -to- three initials and three random characters) but that's like crying over spilt milk and not something I'm going to worry about.

All this is just fine and I have no problem with it, what I do have a problem with is that they just sent me notice late last night that they were going to be changing my account this morning! They, however, didn't send me what my new password is and I can't access the system that generates one for you since the system doesn't recognize my old account name (because it was set up to help people who were using student accounts and not staff accounts previously). I can no longer access my University E-mail, Blackboard (online class resource for submitting papers, discussion board, checking grades, etc) or log onto university computers. I accept all this and although it is an annoyance, it is something I can live with. What Pisses me off the most is that I can no longer access the various library databases from my home computer and I have to be able to access the online poll data to finish my paper that is due tomorrow morning! Okay, my teacher is understanding and would give me an extension because of all of this, EXCEPT the semester ends tomorrow and she has to have grades in first thing Monday morning! So, the IT department couldn't F*ing wait 2 more days until the semester ended and I'd have no deadlines to worry about! I now get the wonderful privilege of turning in a half completed paper tomorrow - a paper that is worth 30% of my grade.

If it wasn't for my teacher being nice and understanding, I'd likely be in the IT department right now letting them KNOW how I feel :eg:.

All in All, I'm :mad:!

la Rose

If it wasn't for my teacher being nice and understanding, I'd likely be in the IT department right now letting them KNOW how I feel :eg:.

All in All, I'm :mad:!

la Rose

When dealing with IT staff, just swallow it down and just explain the problem and what you'd like to have as the result. Feelings do not enter the equation, unless you want more problems.

So, the IT department couldn't F*ing wait 2 more days until the semester ended and I'd have no deadlines to worry about!

la Rose

~shudders~

Reminds me of the time my company's Lotus Notes Team decided to roll out a major update to the Home Page just 2 days before time-sheets were due. And, of course, there were problems with the times-sheets link.

I work in the help desk.

MAN did we get a flood of calls!

The onlygood part of that was we directed them all to their department. :eg:

At least they learned from it and never pulled a stunt like that again. :thumbup:

Our receptionist got fired, and I am sad. :( I liked her a lot. She always had a cheerful smile, and she was fun to flirt with on a slow day. And she liked reading my Flawless Movie Reviews. I'll miss her. :(

What's worse is that she got fired for chumped-up reasons. Every 9 months or so, the head of that department gets a bug up her butt, randomly chooses one of her staff , and spends 2-3 weeks constantly harping on, criticising, and writing-up every little thing. Then, big surprise, fires them for "incompetence." Moron. :rolleyes:

Our receptionist got fired, and I am sad. :( I liked her a lot. She always had a cheerful smile, and she was fun to flirt with on a slow day. And she liked reading my Flawless Movie Reviews. I'll miss her. :(

What's worse is that she got fired for chumped-up reasons. Every 9 months or so, the head of that department gets a bug up her butt, randomly chooses one of her staff , and spends 2-3 weeks constantly harping on, criticising, and writing-up every little thing. Then, big surprise, fires them for "incompetence." Moron. :rolleyes:

As much as that sucks, it seems to me that being fired from such a job with such a flaming A-hole of a boss is a blessing-in-disguise.

You're probably right. At least it came as no surprise. We figured she was on the hit list about 1 1/2 weeks before it happened. I told her to make sure her resume was in order. :(

Just a thought...

Maybe you could be a reference for her too if you aren't already. Seriously, you loved her attitude, her diligence, and you were a coworker so it might look pretty good for her.

They actually offered to keep her on half-time at a significantly reduced rate of pay. Problem is, doing that, she'd be making almost exactly the same thing she can make from going on unemployment, plus we could then pull the kids out of daycare for the summer. Today she's going to ask them to lay her off, which isn't the kind of thing most people would request. It's a consulting firm and they'll keep trying to find her something, but waking up to go into work for no other reason than to pay daycare isn't something she wants to deal with.

They actually offered to keep her on half-time at a significantly reduced rate of pay. Problem is' date=' doing that, she'd be making almost exactly the same thing she can make from going on unemployment, plus we could then pull the kids out of daycare for the summer. Today she's going to ask them to lay her off, which isn't the kind of thing most people would request. It's a consulting firm and they'll keep trying to find her something, but waking up to go into work for no other reason than to pay daycare isn't something she wants to deal with.[/quote']

This is one of the many reasons that I hate consulting work passionately.

My sympathy, and best of luck!

The best part? The place where she was working loves her. LOVES her. They've known for months the contract was going to be up and have been slowly working to get a new one for her, but it's a state agency and they @#$@!!! slow. They want her back badly, but the bureaucracy can't move fast enough.

Oh, and just to keep up the complaints, I woke up this morning with a summer cold, and the 15-year-old cat who's been fading has taken to emptying her bladder on the kitchen floor. She hasn't been eating much, is wasting away, and now we're going to have to put her to sleep soon. Double @#$!!!