The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I've pissed off management at work. Or at least my management. Told them I needed a break from one of the aspects of work and that I was concerned about some proposed changes.

The response, I've been stuck with all the work that had been burning me out and targeted for being obstructive and not liking changes. That and my manager contacted IT about a special report I run to show differences. I was told I'm wasting my time on this report since the info I get is found in four other reports. My special report happens to come out of one of the tasks I do anyway and has it nicely consolidated. sigh.

I have also been told I can't have a headset for my phone. My neck was giving me a problem again since I've been cradling the phone on my shoulder while looking stuff up. Reason given: I don't have a desk job. Which of course is odd, since I think I spend 80-90% of the time at my desk talking to adopters on the phone.

I did get a note from my chiropractor to see if that will get me a headset.

First goal is to get thru next two weeks since I have vacation starting on the 15th. Though I'm supposed to have a meeting with my manager and the director. The director is out of the office until next week so I'm hoping to avoid any meeting where I may have to voice my opinion until after the vacation. If I get fired, I don't get paid my vacation time.

Guest Worldmaker

I am so very glad that former Florida Governor Jeb Bush privatized the child enforcement functions of the state government. I am very, very glad he did this.

I'm glad because this means Arramark, the company who was given the no-bid contract, can send me letters like the one I received today, telling me that a) my driver's license was suspended and B) my paycheck will be garnished, starting with the one I received today, and that both conditions will continue until I am up to date with my child support arrearage.

The only small, tiny problem being that a) the "child" in question is now 18 and B) I'm the custodial parent. I have been since his mother and I went to court three years ago and had the custody changed. By a judge and everything.

Of course, Arramark should know this because the custody change is on record in my casefile. At the state of Florida. Apparently Arramark didn't bother to check because doing so is (quote, unquote) "not their concern" and that, if something is wrong, its "up to the delinquent parent to correct it".

So I took a called them up and asked what I needed to do to get this nonsense cleared up. I was told to take a copy of the court documents to them. I asked which office. I was told "any office; if you're in Osceola County, it would be the office on West Vine Street in Kissimmee.

So I go, and I wait three hours to be seen, and I show them the documents.

Only to be told that since my case originated in Orange County, I'd have to go to Orange County to get them to clear it up. I glance at my watch: 4:12 pm. Its half an hour to Orlando, and I know I'd never get seen before 5, and I say so. "Sorry, but that's not our problem."

"But you're the ones who told me to come here."

"We didn't tell you that, sir."

"Yes, you did. The Office of Child Support Enforcement specifically told me to come to this office."

"That might be true, but no one in this office told you to come here."

At which point I left.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going up to the Orlando office with my brother, Nathan. As he says, "I'm your brakes... I'll keep you from getting thrown out". So he's going to do the talking, while I'll be sitting there with my thumb on the speed-dial button for my good, dear friend Senator Andy Gardiner, who has been informed of my problem and assures me that he'll take my call the nanosecond they give me any shit at all about a) getting off my back, B) reimbursing me the money they are stealing from me (and they are stealing... the actual charge would be Grand Larceny), and c) sending a letter of apology to my employer on my behalf explaining that it was all a clerical error and that I am not a deadbeat who is behind in his child support.

I've been cranky all day. A couple of people were lucky not to get fat lips from me, although they came pretty close.

As for my job, I'd ditch it the second I'm offered another one. As I told one of my former managers (he stepped down from the position due to health problems), I worked hard for the company and gave 110% for years. And what do I get in return? I passed over for promotion over and over again. I get my hours cut. I get undermined repeatedly. They shouldn't expect me to step up to the plate anymore, because I won't.

So, I got paid for some contract work. It's an International Draft, which is a fancy way of saying that it'll probably take at least half of the amount on the front, in advance, to get any money from it. And 4 to 8 weeks to process. So, I've left a polite email with the company, asking for a wire transfer, which will hit me for about $10, and whatever exchange rate shenanigans the various banks pull. Thankfully, my next contract job's local, and they pay their invoices very quickly. It might give me the funds to attempt to get the international draft processed, if the company won't take it back.

JoeG

As is being sick isn't enough to make one cranky... there's a cookout tonight I've been looking forward to for a couple of weeks, only I'll have to miss it. I just hope it doesn't kill a get-together I'm due for tomorrow, something *else* I've been looking forward to for a few weeks.

Blech.

Guest Worldmaker

An enterprising animal, likely a racoon or possum, broke into my garbage can last night and had himself a feast. Unfortunately, the little vermin wasn't polite enough to clean up after himself. So I got to pick up garbage this morning after dropping Jared off at his school bus. In the rain.

I don't mind the TV beaking down. Fine I can check and switch plug sockets. I can change the fuse.

What gets me is when it is still not working that the wretched screws won't come out even when I have the right screw driver (a Phillips). I cannot budge two of them at all so I don't know whether it does actually need replacing.

This is on a Sunday after the shops have closed.

Ho hum.

Damn it damn it damn it. Had reconstructive surgery on my right ankle in May of 2007 to stitch back together several torn ankle ligaments. I'm to the point now I can actually walk barefoot again, but yesterday I'm walking out to the garage and I step down and one of my wife's shoes is there. I step wrong and wind up completely rolling my bad ankle to the outside hard enough that there's a bruise on the outside of my little toe. I sprained the crap out of the ankle, and I've spent the last 24 hours worrying that I might have actually screwed the thing up again. It's not swelling at all, but it just feels shaky and unstable.

Having spent several years with very limited mobility and basically having to learn how to walk again, I really don't want to have to go through it all again. Crap.