The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Well' date=' despite my injury and all of them over the years, I don't declaw. lemming says a declawed cat can develop serious psychological problems. He may stop using his litter box as it is painful to dig when declawed. He may also develop other problems.[/quote']

Yup. Declawing amputates the tip of each toe off. It really shouldn't ever be done. We carefully clip our cats' nails when needed.

JoeG

The good news is the orthopedic surgeon who fixed my ankle last time doesn't think I screwed up my ankle ligaments, just sprained the joint somewhat. The bad news is he wants me to protect it for a while, so I'm stuck wearing my old air cast/walking boot thing, which is just so comfortable. Two weeks of this, then back to the doctor again for hopeful final confirmation that I didn't screw up my ability to walk for the next year and a half.

One of my cats absolutely refuses to use her litter box, and continually pees on the floor in the kitchen. It's not a control issue, as she always pees on something, and/or one of the same two legs of the table.

She's also very strong and squirmy, which makes it very, very hard to do the rub-nose-in-it thing.

I must protest: That is no way to treat a cat and will not solve the problem. All it will do is cause her to run away from you and avoid you.

Is the litter box ALWAYS clean ?

Is it located in a place where she feels safe ? Is it anywhere near her food area ? They won't go where they eat.

Is it in a quiet, non-traffic area ?

Perhaps she doesn't like the litter you use. Is it scented ? Some cats don't like that. You might try experimenting with different, non-scented litter.

As there is there more than one cat in the house, perhaps she resents sharing.

Some cats will not use boxes with hoods as they do not feel safe without an escape route.

Is she declawed ? lemming said declawed cats may stop using their boxes as digging is painful. They can develop psychological problems as well that cause them to not use the box.

Is she bored or otherwise stressed ? Have you recently introduced a new animal of any kind ? Do you play with her and pay attention to her ? Boredom is stressful for cats.

If you cannot solve the problem, I'd consult your Vet.

But if you continue as you have been, you will only cause more problems while solving none.

I must protest: That is no way to treat a cat and will not solve the problem. All it will do is cause her to run away from you and avoid you.

Guess that's just for housebreaking dogs, then. I'll inform my wife, it was her idea.

Is the litter box ALWAYS clean ?

My wife and I are occassionally negligent on that, but we try.

Is it located in a place where she feels safe ? Is it anywhere near her food area ? They won't go where they eat.

That never stopped her until recently, but I'll move the food dishes.

Is it in a quiet, non-traffic area ?

Nestled away in the side of the kitchen we don't go to much.

Perhaps she doesn't like the litter you use. Is it scented ? Some cats don't like that. You might try experimenting with different, non-scented litter.

We did get some scented litter recently, that could be it.

As there is there more than one cat in the house, perhaps she resents sharing.

There's a separate box for the boys, they seem to respect her space and don't use hers.

Some cats will not use boxes with hoods as they do not feel safe without an escape route.

Didn't stop her before.

Is she declawed ? lemming said declawed cats may stop using their boxes as digging is painful. They can develop psychological problems as well that cause them to not use the box.

Yes, but it never stopped her in the last, oh, 8 years.

Is she bored or otherwise stressed ? Have you recently introduced a new animal of any kind ? Do you play with her and pay attention to her ? Boredom is stressful for cats.

I suppose she could be bored ... but she's never shown much interest in any of the cat paraphernalia we've ever bought. No new animals. Hmm. Wonder if she's reflecting my mood changes since I started going to the clinic.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday night I had to put down one of our dogs.

Maginty, aka migs was a border collie cross, about 15 years old. We knew it was coming, but... My mother in law brought the puppy home, then a couple months later moved to Pennsylvania, leaving the puppy with my wife(before we had even started dating). My wife was never interested in the breed, but she took care of him.

He was a pretty sweet dog, really. Before we got married, when my wife was often away from the house for well over 12 hours, he was VERY good about holding it until she got home and let him outside. He was a chicken, firecrackers, thunder, gunshots made him look for something to hide under. He was afraid of me when I first came to the house, but after I gave him a chunk of cheese, he was my friend.

He seemed to go deaf in the last year or year and a half, probably due to long term damage by Cheat Grass. :mad: Nasty shit, that.

He was suffering from Cancer. He had large gross looking tumors on his front legs and "armpits". We knew he was going down hill. He had trouble getting his hind legs under him after he was laying down. When he was in more obvious than usual pain, we gave him baby aspirin, which seemed to help a lot. For some months, he was driving me nuts, by whining and waking me up to go outside several times a night. My wife slept right through his whining, but I wasn't sleeping well. I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea, and am now sleeping with a CPAP. Between me sleeping a little more soundly, and him sleeping outside more often, he was not waking me up very often. I think part of the reason he was sleeping outside was the cool air, and another was that he had trouble going up our front stairs. Last week he fell down them. He was extra sore for a day or so, but seemed okay.

Monday night we put the dogs out for their bedtime potty break.

As he was going down the stairs, he fell. He landed on his side, whining pitifully. His left foreleg had been pinned under him as he rolled. Dog's forelegs are not designed to bend 170 degrees to the side and back.

I got him rolled off of it, and onto his feet. We prayed it was just twisted, but we knew it was worse.

We didn't want to leave him in pain, but we were praying that we were over reacting. In addition, our Son Tavish is 3 1/2 years old. We REALLY did not want him to see what we were afraid we would have to do.

Fortunately, Tavish was very tired, and we got him to sleep in a few minutes. We checked on Migs again, and he was not able to put ANY weight on the leg, and whimpered when we tried to probe to determine what the exact problem was.

His general health was so poor he would be unlikely to recover even with surgery. We don't have the money to have the surgery anyway. We didn't see any way to get him into a vehicle without causing him massive pain and fear. He was in so much pain he was just standing there with his head down a little bit, wouldn't even eat a doggie treat.

I prayed beside him, asked God to take him unto Himself, and said goodbye, good dog.

I did everything I could to make sure it was instantaneous.

Goodbye Migs. Rest in peace, free of pain. Hopefully I will see you again some day, and you will forgive me. :cry:

Sorry to hear that' date=' gewing. :( I lost both my dogs (they died just over a year apart), so I know how much it hurts.[/quote']

It would have been a lot harder if he hadn't been so sick.

I tried to explain it to my son (minus the shooting part) the next morning, but he doesn't seem to bothered. I hope it is because I did a good job of explaining it.

The fact we have a 3 month old puppy for him to play with probably helps!