The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Yesterday started out great. Slept late, snuggled with my wife, had breakfast, went to work.

On the way into the college I work Security at, I saw an SUV driving towards me with a young woman standing on the RUNNING BOARD! I wasn't in uniform yet, but I stopped them anyway. The Girl's MOTHER was driving, and neither of them felt there was anything wrong with it!!!

WHAT KIND OF PARENT WOULD DO THAT????

I insisted that the girl ride inside, and they got B@&%^y with me!

Then I got to work, and found out the boss had re-scheduled me to come in 3 hours early, but hadn't remembered to tell me so!!

I was REALLY P.O.d I calmed down eventually, but...

I'm still offended by that "parent"

In some ways I have what I call "an over-developed sense of responsibility."

I have also described it as Sheepdog/shepherd mentality.

I try to help where I can, and keep people from doing things that are going to cause them problems.

I can get pretty preachy I guess.

;) BUT DAMNIT if people would follow the basic rules and THINK about actions and consequences, the world would probably be a much better and safer place. ;)

Quiet today, I can't get up a real rant...

OK, maybe I can.

My co-worker has several step-children. They are WORTHLESS MOOCHES, who live off of him and his wife. SHE encourages them, helping them out of any screwed up situation they get themselves into. Making him buy them a car after they get theirs repo-ed; Letting them move in when they get kicked out of their apartment...

He doesn't make enough money to live in COMFORT anyway, event though He INherited their house. Right now he can't afford to buy BRAKE SHOES for his OLD Truck. He has WAAAYY to many health issues, right now he has some kind of infected gland in his arm/elbow, his lower arm looks like a sausage and he is on HUGE doses of Ibuprofen and an Anti-biotic.

And to top it off, The daughter brought her BOYFRIEND with her, and neither of them seems to be willing to help around the house, I know the boyfriend has no job, and I think the Daughter has none either.

DAMN!!! He is a guy who has had as SAD_SACK a life as anyone I have ever met. He was in Vietnam in about 63, his whole squad got blown up when someone sent a toddler laden with explosives into it, right after he walked out. He still has shrapnel in his legs.

He has TWICE broken his back.

He has had one major and IIRC Many tiny heart attacks, possibly some micro strokes too.

HE DESERVES SOME PEACE AND COMFORT DAMNIT!!!!!

OK, I did find another Rant inside me.

I don't blame you.

*Jumps in, flashes her perky ones to the crowd and streaks off.*

:D

Run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

hehehehehe

LOL! Like I used to tell my wife when she would flash me...which was a little too regularly for comfort (and this isn't directed at you Kara)...

..."I've seen 'em before."

:D

Run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

heading: it pays to keep your eyes on the ground and other misadventures over the weekend

Intrigued by the subject line above? Well let me start at the end of the story and work backwards through my weekend. :)

Part 1 (Monday -- today):

Today at lunch, in Casuarina, as I was walking through Coles, heading back to my car I spotted a $20 note. Since no one immediatedly claimed it, nor a scene straight away (Agg! I lost $20!), and a quick glace around didn't give anyone who may have dropped it, I inconspiciously and discreetly picked it up and put it in my pocket. A guy saw me, or I think he saw me, but said nothin'. Now I must say, I had a $20 note in my pocket already, so at first I thought _I_ might have dropped it. It was only outside I confired that I was $20 richer, or so I thought.

Part 2 (Sunday)

Yesterday, I realised that that was the day our monthly Internet bill comes in so I checked out our usage. As it turned out we I reckon it is the most we have used in one month (blame me) so I was partially dreading the bill, and didn't want to use the Internet yesterday (Sunday), well at home anyway. I was coming into the Nothern Suburbs (from Town) so I would swing over to Uni to use the Lab computers. To be continued shortly.

Part 3 (Saturday)

Pretty much spent the whole of Saturday logged on to the Internet and had heaps of fun. Didn't know at the time that we were already over out download limit otherwise I wouldn't have used so much (I would have come into Uni as I did Sunday.

Back to Part 2 (Sunday)

I come into Uni and I find a park close to the Student Labs in the 30 min parking zone. I spend approx 1h 30min to 2hrs in the student labs doing "stuff" and head back to my car. I spy a parking attendant (wearing a Chubb uniform) who asked if I know that it is a half hour parking zone, I say "ok" or words to that effect. I look up at the sign while seated in my car and the sign read "half hour parking 7 days". Strange, I think, the sign has changed. It used to be: "half hour parking 8am to 5pm (or 7pm) Mon to Sat)" (Sunday was free parking). So being a Sunday, I naturally thought "free parking" that is why I parked there. I look at the windscreen wipers, sure enough a ticket. It was then I remember glancing around as I approached my car, seeing about 30 parking spaces free in the Blg 18 carpark. By this time, getting extremly mad that here is a guy being from a security company writting out parking tickets on a Sunday when the occupancy rate of the carparks is under half full -- as stated it got me mad.

I contemplated using my windscreen wipers to "blow" the ticket off, saying then I never saw it, so how can I pay it etc, but that never works. So I drove the car out of Mr Chubb's sight, stopped the car and had a look at the ticket $35 for the "privledge" of using the facilities of the university on a weekend. And my purpose was to avoid further increasing the home download limit that I over extended greatly.

Part 4 (Today after lunch)

I got to look at the bill. Not as bad as I initially thought, but still capable to shock the folks when they find out. For my "privledge" of using the Uni facilities, I would have been much better off (ie in front) by staying at home and using (abusing) the Net all day as I did Saturday. As a comparison, I used 42 Mb on Saturday and for $35 I could have got 176Mb -- that is more than what we exceeded our limit by and that was accumulated over 1 week. To exceed that in one day would have been astronomical -- the price to be paid for revenue raising.

Conclusion

Somehow finding the $20 doesn't seem like the windfall I first thought it was, it just means I'm a little less behind that I would have been.

Hope you enjoyed the story. :) Off tomorrow to pay the bill. :(

LOL! Like I used to tell my wife when she would flash me...which was a little too regularly for comfort (and this isn't directed at you Kara)...

..."I've seen 'em before."

Yeah, my wife gets annoyed if when she flashes me (sometimes in stores) and I just go, "Yep, they're still very nice." and go about whatever I was doing.

Yeah' date=' my wife gets annoyed if when she flashes me (sometimes in stores) and I just go, "Yep, they're still very nice." and go about whatever I was doing.[/quote']

In defense of my lovely wife, whenever I'd nonchalantely say "I've seen 'em before."

She'd always reply, "...and you're never going to see them again!"

God I loved that woman! :(

Hey, I wanna be cranky too! Let's see if I can find my inner crank. (No jokes about my outer crank, please!)

....okay...

Housing prices.

I live in Orange County, CA, where the prices of housing continue to skyrocket. I rent an apartment from a friend. It's actually the ONLY apartment in the building, with all hte downstairs units being offices. I'm over top of a stripmall, basically. Sounds weird, but at $850/mo for a 2bdr 1-1/2ba apartment in Orange County most people have to make deals with Satan. I just had to be friend with the lawyer downstairs who owns the place.

Well, while I'm doing fine on rent, I'm not putting anything away. Instead, I take my diposable income and... well... dispose of it. This is the fatal mistake I can only blame myself for.

I'm at this point in my life where they've built an apartment building next door, and on the other side of me is a church full of noisey, inconiterate bastards, so I want a house of my own. Something I can fool with and change how I want without concern.

Problem: No Down payment.

So I go to the Fanny-Mae website and download their form. Through some reverse engineering of their PDF form, I manage to figure out how to get a realistic figure of what I should be looking for in the way of housing. It turns out, the most I can go for is around $200,000. In Orange County that won't buy you a condo. That might get you a motorhome. The nearest place that I could get a real, real fixer-upper, is 50 miles away, which means a two hour commute every day. (That math seem odd to you? Then you haven't commuted through the LA/OC/Riverside/San Bernardino metroplex.)

So I have no downpayment, and I can afford half of what it would cost me to buy a house. And I make decent money, have great credit, and aside from a monthly car payment that I'm paying off at twice the rate, no debts.

So I guess my cranky rant for the day is about how I will never, ever, EVER be able to afford property here, where my job is. And if I wanted to buy property, I'd have to quit my job and move, in which case I definitely couldn't afford it.

Well, I don't feel any better after that.

So I have no downpayment' date=' and I can afford half of what it would cost me to buy a house. And I make decent money, have great credit, and aside from a monthly car payment that I'm paying off at twice the rate, no debts.[/quote']

I was is that situation. Though San Francisco Bay area. Wound up getting an offer to move to Portland, noticed housing was 1/2 off and managed to gather a downpayment together after a little less than a year. Of course now that I have the house based on what I was earning in 2000, all I seem to be getting for job offers are salaries akin to what I was making in '92. And back then I was underpaid. I can deal with a paycut, but I'd like to be making something that allows me to live a bit beyond my college days.

Three ... more ... days.

Work is a stressor these days. I'm not ambitious. I like my current job. They're trying to make me be someone I'm not. They're trying to make me grow up. I resent it. So I took this Friday and next Monday off. I hope it's enough.

Home is a stressor these days. I won't go into it, because it involves more people than just Klytus and me. I don't know that taking a long weekend is going to do me any good, because I can't be sure mine one own true Sweetie will be here with me.

I have nowhere to go to get away from it all.

Sometimes I don't even know why I bother.

Three ... more ... days.

Work is a stressor these days. I'm not ambitious. I like my current job. They're trying to make me be someone I'm not. They're trying to make me grow up. I resent it. So I took this Friday and next Monday off. I hope it's enough.

Home is a stressor these days. I won't go into it, because it involves more people than just Klytus and me. I don't know that taking a long weekend is going to do me any good, because I can't be sure mine one own true Sweetie will be here with me.

I have nowhere to go to get away from it all.

Sometimes I don't even know why I bother.

Can you guys get away for the weekend, even just to someone's place that would just as soon leave you to a guest room, alone together? Just a thought.

Home is a stressor these days. I won't go into it' date=' because it involves more people than just Klytus and me. I don't know that taking a long weekend is going to do me any good, because I can't be sure mine one own true Sweetie will be here with me.[/quote']

Sorry things are so tough all around. Did you need us to drop Friday's Vampire game? Or Saturday's D&D game? or Both?

Doc

You guys have two games! Ok' date=' I'm jealous and slightly cranky.[/quote']

The Friday game is every Friday. The Saturday game is every other Saturday, although lately it's been once a month instead.

Actualy, the Friday game is two games, one we play once a month and the other we play for the other three weeks.

Each game has a different group, and the only people who are in all the groups are White Heat, Klytus, and myself. Unless they've started another game without me.

It use to be really bad. We used to have four campaigns on Friday nights. We'd only get to play each game once a month. We could never remember where we were last session.

Doc

That made me cranky too! I have one game every two weeks at best. This time it's likley to be 3 weeks between games.

Yeah, "at best" here as well, more often once or twice a month. Our schedules don't sync well, I was the biggest culprit first quarter this year.