The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Whenever someone I truly dislike agrees with me, I suffer a visceral gut reaction that tells me I should re-think my position.

Is this a normal reaction, or just me being immature and spiteful?

There's nothing abnormal about cognitive dissonance. The important thing is recognizing it for what it is.

It's perfectly okay if someone you dislike agrees with you occasionally. What, you expect them to be wrong all the time?

My Dad's health is taking a turn for the worse. All signs point to this being it.

And I'm so broke after paying my bills, I got a loan from family just to be able to buy Christmas presents. I really hate doing that.

Sucks and sucks. Better focus on your dad if you can, and on being there for whatever other family is around. I recommend daily calling and checking at least, just to avoid guilt issues later on down the road.

And I too am nervously awaiting the holiday bills. Wife always goes nucking futs for Christmas "sales". Every. Single. Year.

Murphy's Law is rearing its ugly head this weekend. NOTHING has gone right these last two days. First I'm asked to come in on my day off, then my client cancels at the last minute. Then I'm supposed to send money to my sick Dad. The Western Union office is closed. Then I get charged twice for one transaction. I tried disputing it with the bank, but it's closed until Monday too.

I just can't f***ing win this weekend.

Murphy's Law is rearing its ugly head this weekend. NOTHING has gone right these last two days. First I'm asked to come in on my day off, then my client cancels at the last minute. Then I'm supposed to send money to my sick Dad. The Western Union office is closed. Then I get charged twice for one transaction. I tried disputing it with the bank, but it's closed until Monday too.

So, yesterday I finished calculating final grades for the semester and submitted them for approval. So what happens last night? I get an email from a student who never turned in a single bloody assignment on time the whole semester, including his last two essays. The essays were attached, and he thinks I should grade them (and, by implication, change his final grade). Are you kidding?!?! Even if I wanted to help the little blighter out, I'm not allowed to change a final grade unless I find a miscalculation on my part. This kid needs to develop a sense of responsibility and learn some bloody respect for his instructors.

So' date=' yesterday I finished calculating final grades for the semester and submitted them for approval. So what happens last night? I get an email from a student who never turned in a single bloody assignment on time the whole semester, including his last two essays. The essays were attached, and he thinks I should grade them (and, by implication, change his final grade). Are you kidding?!?! Even if I wanted to help the little blighter out, I'm not allowed to change a final grade unless I find a miscalculation on my part. This kid needs to develop a sense of responsibility and learn some bloody respect for his instructors.[/quote']

Definition of deadline

noun

• 1 the latest time or date by which something should be completed: the deadline for submissions is February 5th

• 2 historical a line drawn around a prison beyond which prisoners were liable to be shot.

The silver lining here (for the student) being that you're not operating by the latter.

Definition of deadline

noun

• 1 the latest time or date by which something should be completed: the deadline for submissions is February 5th

• 2 historical a line drawn around a prison beyond which prisoners were liable to be shot.

The silver lining here (for the student) being that you're not operating by the latter.

I haven't been a tinpot dictator when it comes to deadlines (I am, by nature, the Henry Blake of classroom management), but that is definitely about to change. Some of the ESL instructors have a policy of knocking off 10 percent for each day late, and as of next semester, I will be adopting it as well. And following it rigorously, for my own sanity's sake.

Tomorrow night looks like my first real bout of winter weather. Winter Weather Advisory from 9p Wednesday to noon Thursday ... rain' date=' snow, ice, possible wind gusts up to 45 mph.[/quote']

Same up here in Iowa. These things have been known to blow over (no pun intended), but with the wind speeds I'm seeing forecast, it could be a bit messy.

Just a quick follow up. I finally got things settled on Monday, although it took me a while to reach a live person. After getting yet another answering machine, I lost it. I screamed, I kicked the wall. I even smashed a coffee cup on the table so hard, it broke. I got several cuts on my fingers. Things got better after I was able to talk to someone and clear up the mess. My fingers seem to be healing well; good thing I use my other hand to write.

Just a quick follow up. I finally got things settled on Monday' date=' although it took me a while to reach a live person. After getting yet another answering machine, I lost it. I screamed, I kicked the wall. I even smashed a coffee cup on the table so hard, it broke. I got several cuts on my fingers. Things got better after I was able to talk to someone and clear up the mess. My fingers seem to be healing well; good thing I use my other hand to write.[/quote']

You know, you don't have to try so hard to live up to your .sig... :)

Chad: Oh man, I'm just rent over these grade school killings, I hate reading the news, it's inescapable we just have circular arguments and nothing gets done...screw America this morning, I'll go see what's going on in the rest of the world.

:nonp:

Kill me now.

Edit: The link (rest of the world text) is pretty frickin' depressing. Follow at your own risk.