The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Year of the Snake is not supposed to be a walk in the park' date=' but at least it won't be the wild ride that the Year of the Dragon was.[/quote']

Hopefully, being a Snake, this will be my year. Unfortunately, the three previous did not impress me.

The fraud department at my bank has been in touch. Someone has tried to cash cheques from me to the tune of around £2' date='500 approximately $3,750. I'll get the money back apparantly but this ain't what I wanted to start the New Year with.[/quote']

Save a seat for me in the boat. Someone acquired my debit card number from the db of "a place I'd used my card in the last 14 days". The bank killed the card before my account was compromised, but now I need to update everything that gets paid from it... and the new card doesn't arrive for the next several days.

Been to my Doctor today. Had rough blood test and now feel much woozier. There was also another test. I am also seeing my Stomach Dr. in a few weeks. The Doctor thinks maybe irritable bowel and my Mom has it and says it sounds like that to her. Maybe poor nutrition because I can't cook and have little appetite these days. Maybe my Acid Reflux. Maybe all of the above. I have five weeks to get better before the Con in Feb. Hope I do.

Rough night last night' date=' my own snoring woke me up a few times.[/quote'] If you can afford it, have a sleep test. A CPAP machine adds years to lives. Meanwhile, try to sleep with your head tilted back, chin elevated, mouth closed. For that matter, when you're awake, Villain in training, keep your mouth closed, too - don't reveal your plans!

If you can afford it' date=' have a sleep test. A CPAP machine adds years to lives. Meanwhile, try to sleep with your head tilted back, chin elevated, mouth closed. For that matter, when you're awake, Villain in training, keep your mouth closed, too - don't reveal your plans![/quote']

Good advice. I couldn't possibly have known without a sleep test just how interrupted my breathing is when I sleep. My doctor tells me, frighteningly, that I am one of his five most severe sleep apnea patients. With the CPAP, I'm actually finding that I only need about six hours of uninterrupted sleep a night to feel pretty darned good in the morning--previously I was sleeping more like ten hours just to get by.

Good advice. I couldn't possibly have known without a sleep test just how interrupted my breathing is when I sleep. My doctor tells me' date=' frighteningly, that I am one of his five most severe sleep apnea patients. With the CPAP, I'm actually finding that I only need about six hours of uninterrupted sleep a night to feel pretty darned good in the morning--previously I was sleeping more like ten hours just to get by.[/quote']

Pretty much what happened with me. I knew I snored, but after my wife (then GF) moved in, she noticed I stopped breathing, then woke up briefly with a snort, then fell asleep again. Which woke her up a lot.

Had a sleep study, the doctor scheduled surgery from that (3 weeks later) and I was lucky that I fell into the catagory that benefited from surgery. (about 50%).

Losing weight helps a lot as well.

The good news: My friend who has been living without running water for over a month* has finally gotten off his butt and found a new place to live, so he can get out of that s**thole of an apartment he should have vacated years ago.

The bad news: Now begins the arduous task of packing and moving. He has no vehicle, and outside of driving him about in my rather small car, I'm of no use. He lives on the second floor of a building with oddly-angled stairs; going up and down them once a couple of days ago was painful. Plus, I have a weight restriction due to my dialysis access, so there will be very few things I could carry anyway.

*I love the guy, but sometimes he's just too nice. He didn't even complain about it to us until the 3rd week.

If you can afford it' date=' have a sleep test. A CPAP machine adds years to lives. Meanwhile, try to sleep with your head tilted back, chin elevated, mouth closed. For that matter, when you're awake, Villain in training, keep your mouth closed, too - don't reveal your plans![/quote']

Good advice. I couldn't possibly have known without a sleep test just how interrupted my breathing is when I sleep. My doctor tells me' date=' frighteningly, that I am one of his five most severe sleep apnea patients. With the CPAP, I'm actually finding that I only need about six hours of uninterrupted sleep a night to feel pretty darned good in the morning--previously I was sleeping more like ten hours just to get by.[/quote']

Pretty much what happened with me. I knew I snored, but after my wife (then GF) moved in, she noticed I stopped breathing, then woke up briefly with a snort, then fell asleep again. Which woke her up a lot.

Had a sleep study, the doctor scheduled surgery from that (3 weeks later) and I was lucky that I fell into the catagory that benefited from surgery. (about 50%).

Losing weight helps a lot as well.

I'm blaming this episode on a combination of factors. I've got some sort of crud in my sinuses that, along with Vegas humidity, has dried them out. I've recently had a change in shift (starting an hour earlier), and I've taken half a diazepam (roughly a 5mg dose) on a couple of nights, including last night. I'm guessing that the diazepam didn't actually let me drift into restful sleep. I'm going to try some saline nose spray tonight to see if it helps.

It's been about a dozen years since my last sleep study, which basically said that I had a mild case of sleep apnea. That was also when I was 50 lbs heavier. My plan (set with my doctor) is to lose another 35 lbs or so, which should also help. I'll ask my doctor the next time I visit if he thinks that a new sleep study is needed, just in case.

And thank you all for the advice; it's a really cool thing about this board that folks genuinely care about others, and are very supportive. :thumbup:

JoeG

I'm blaming this episode on a combination of factors. I've got some sort of crud in my sinuses that, along with Vegas humidity, has dried them out. I've recently had a change in shift (starting an hour earlier), and I've taken half a diazepam (roughly a 5mg dose) on a couple of nights, including last night. I'm guessing that the diazepam didn't actually let me drift into restful sleep. I'm going to try some saline nose spray tonight to see if it helps.

It's been about a dozen years since my last sleep study, which basically said that I had a mild case of sleep apnea. That was also when I was 50 lbs heavier. My plan (set with my doctor) is to lose another 35 lbs or so, which should also help. I'll ask my doctor the next time I visit if he thinks that a new sleep study is needed, just in case.

And thank you all for the advice; it's a really cool thing about this board that folks genuinely care about others, and are very supportive. :thumbup:

JoeG

Ah cool. Sounds like you have it covered. Sinus issues are there own sort of deal. (Had mine cleared out and straightened as well. Apparently my nasal/throat area was not designed well)

Dad called today. One of his brothers passed away the other day, and the family found out just today. My uncle struggled his whole life with, and constantly lost to, alcoholism. I don't know how many opportunities to turn his life around he drank away; I don't think he had much contact with his grandchildren. But none the less, he was a sweet and funny man when he was sober. He will be missed.