The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm starting to think someone should follow tkdguy around with a camera. I think his life would make great reality TV.

Especially if he got immunity to prosecution as part of the deal.

You better hope I NEVER get legal immunity, because I'd go hog wild with it. I won't wait for that if I catch a camera following me; I'm averse to being filmed or photographed.

Yesterday was the perfect day for winter oilfield work. All the mud was frozen solid. Not so much as a breeze. Lots of sunlight. With all that going for me, I really didn't care if it was 20 degrees, or 2 degrees. Whatever.

Today doesn't look so good: snow, wind, clouds, and the worst part is the high around 40. Mud's gonna thaw out. Very messy.

Okay, that's not the worst part... I've got the runs, too. You ever try to find a public restroom in a *&^%$#@ swamp?

In February?

You better hope I NEVER get legal immunity' date=' because I'd go hog wild with it. I won't wait for that if I catch a camera following me; I'm averse to being filmed or photographed.[/quote']

Again with the pig thing. Are you some kinda bacon-hater or something? :P

I can safely say I've never been in a frozen swamp before and have absolutely no idea what it would be like.

Frozen mud is easy to drive on. Really deep puddles are a hazard when your tires go through the ice; if it breaks off in sharp pieces they can puncture the sidewalls. Also, cell phones aren't water resistant, so if your hands get cold it's easy to drop your phone in a hole and ruin it, which I did.

I like my new phone better anyway. :tonguewav

More shenanigans that same day:

My *&^%$#@! co-worker didn't listen to me when I advised him NOT to use the west-bound right of-way at #E17; he came back five minutes later, on foot. I had no chains, no winch or anything else to pull his truck out of the mud (Did I mention I told him not to go that way?) so I let him use my radio to call another guy in with a bigger truck and some chains.

And five minutes after he got there, his truck was stuck too. He asked me to come down there and try to pull him out. Now, his truck's bigger than mine, (full size Dodge 1500 v. a Ford Ranger) and he's managed to get stuck while trying to turn around, so his vehicle is sideways across the right of way.... Oh yeah, this was great. I was NOT going to be truck number three down there.

I made a credible effort to pull him out, without getting my own vehicle stuck, convinced them it was futile and went on my way while they waited for a tractor to come out there.

There was another right of way going north that co-worker #1 could have used without getting stuck. I even pointed it out to him.

So that's "new guy #1." We've got three new hires and the other two also managed to annoy the crap outta me today.

Roots? Broken pipe?

No freakin' clue. First I tried plunging it, then I broke out the Drano 'Slow Flow Fighter' we bought ... which did nothing. So once my wife got home from work, I ran to the store and bought two Maximum Strength for Clogs stuff, and poured it down both sides of the sink. It still seems to be running a little slow, but at least it's actually draining.

Roots? Broken pipe?

No freakin' clue. First I tried plunging it, then I broke out the Drano 'Slow Flow Fighter' we bought ... which did nothing. So once my wife got home from work, I ran to the store and bought two Maximum Strength for Clogs stuff, and poured it down both sides of the sink. It still seems to be running a little slow, but at least it's actually draining.

In other news, we had to Cone of Shame one of our cats. He's got a wound on his side that he keeps gnawing at, so it won't heal. We presume he gnaws on it 'cause it itches, so he bites it, then he undoes the healing ... I have to admit to laughing a bit, though, as he's been laying all but motionless on the couch looking pouty and grumpy ever since we put it on him.

I can safely say I've never been in a frozen swamp before and have absolutely no idea what it would be like.

I have been, complete with frozen cesspool. You don't want to think about the thaw. You just want to be gone.