The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Ordinarily, we'd gather tonight for socializing and recreation, but the weather will probably forbid it.

I can't say 'get together to game', because we hardly ever do RPGs anymore. Most of the group seems okay with that, but one guy ... I feel sorry for him. The writing is on the wall; none of the three formerly-regular GMs in the group have run more than one game in the last three or four, maybe six, months. We all have health issues, work issues, life issues ... it's over. I will be VERY surprised if Jeff or I ever run a game again, and my wife only runs one when she feels guilty about it. But he keeps asking. And asking.

I'm really starting to wonder who's going to be the one to finally just sit him down and tell him that it's over ... and at the same time, wondering how it is he hasn't caught on yet.

Mama Nature is getting ready to dump six to twelve inches of snow on my head.

Yeah, I'm in the line of fire for that, too. But the local "prognosticators" (I like that word, it sounds almost filthy) are basically just throwing up their hands in frustration on this one. They don't know if it'll be snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain, or a mix of all four. I predict whatever is least convenient. I'm supposed to take my car to the mechanic tomorrow morning, then find a ride back to work somehow. Oh yeah, work... that doesn't look good either! Got an indoor project lined up at the office if the weather turns too nasty for field work, but that's gonna suck too.

I went to Lake Merced today. It's a place I used to go to years ago when I wanted solitude, and I have lots of fond memories of that place. Now the area where I spent several quiet afternoons relaxing has turned into a dump. Litter is everywhere. The city has pruned the trees, but hasn't cleared out the branches. I even spotted a deserted homeless camp. This makes me sad.

Ordinarily, we'd gather tonight for socializing and recreation, but the weather will probably forbid it.

I can't say 'get together to game', because we hardly ever do RPGs anymore. Most of the group seems okay with that, but one guy ... I feel sorry for him. The writing is on the wall; none of the three formerly-regular GMs in the group have run more than one game in the last three or four, maybe six, months. We all have health issues, work issues, life issues ... it's over. I will be VERY surprised if Jeff or I ever run a game again, and my wife only runs one when she feels guilty about it. But he keeps asking. And asking.

I'm really starting to wonder who's going to be the one to finally just sit him down and tell him that it's over ... and at the same time, wondering how it is he hasn't caught on yet.

We had a rpg group that had gotten together on Saturdays for years. We took one summer as a hiatus because of various real life issues and we never got back to it. We have frequent game nights however with board, card and video games. And the missus is setting up to reboot rpgs on a different day, so I hope that works out.

We had a rpg group that had gotten together on Saturdays for years. We took one summer as a hiatus because of various real life issues and we never got back to it. We have frequent game nights however with board, card and video games. And the missus is setting up to reboot rpgs on a different day, so I hope that works out.

We had a rpg group that had gotten together on Saturdays for years. We took one summer as a hiatus because of various real life issues and we never got back to it. We have frequent game nights however with board' date=' card and video games. And the missus is setting up to reboot rpgs on a different day, so I hope that works out.[/quote']

Maybe ... the thing is, me ... I'm not sure I care anymore. I don't even feel bad that we don't do RPGs anymore. Heck, some weeks, I only go just because it feels like an obligation ... I'd rather just stay home and putz around on the Internet or something than drag myself out of the house.

Well, I don't know if I'd call it 'depression' as opposed to just general disinterest. It's like most anything when it comes to how you spend your free time; if you think you'll have more fun doing A than B, you generally do A.

In other news, I need to stop taking phone calls until I've been awake for 30 minutes. My mom called and woke me up, went off on a rant, and that filter between my brain and mouth wasn't operating ...

Well, I don't know if I'd call it 'depression' as opposed to just general disinterest. It's like most anything when it comes to how you spend your free time; if you think you'll have more fun doing A than B, you generally do A.

In other news, I need to stop taking phone calls until I've been awake for 30 minutes. My mom called and woke me up, went off on a rant, and that filter between my brain and mouth wasn't operating ...