The cranky thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...
Stupid f***ing survey takers! If the thing is optional as the letter states, why do I keep getting harassed? Someone is getting a really nasty letter from me.
They may be required by their employer to keep trying, or until you give them clear, simple declarative refusal. My wife does canvassing for the Census Bureau (yes, that's the feds) and is a "survey taker". If you say "No" clearly, she'll stop there and go away for 6 months (those surveys track the same address for a number of times separated by 6 months), at which time she'll take another refusal. She can take "no" for an answer, but she can't take no answer.

Last week I had a major allergy attack (lungs seized up and eyes swelled shut). That ordeal beat down my immune system so that a really nasty virus came to visit. It's been a week now and I am still hacking, coughing and unable to speak (laryngitis). Every time I try to sleep, my cough reflex goes into overdrive. My patience (and coherence) is (are) wearing thin.

Lots of upsets in the Madrid Open. First Djokovich loses, then Federer, now Murray. Sounds like an exciting tournament, even if it isn't a Grand Slam. Why isn't all this being shown on ESPN or CBS? I don't have the Tennis Channel.
I've never been able to figure out why sports channels are all the same. Seriously, there are so many sporting events going on all over the planet at any given time, why is ESPN showing USFL games from the '80s? Whereas less-widespread sports channels like Vs. would show cool things like Chuck Norris' team kickboxing league. I'd like to see a truly international sports channel where I could see things like actual muay thai bouts in Thailand, or good coverage of more violent sports like rugby.

My own cranky is that I seem to have caught Nolgroth's virus, plus my coworker got canned last week and I'm wondering if I'm next.

Comic-related crankiness: Three DC books I was rather enjoying - Demon Knights, Dial H, and Threshold - have been cancelled. And as usual, the crybaby wing of the Internet blames the company as opposed to the lack of audience support.

In sports news, the Washington Capitals have let me down again. Props, though, for the run that got them into the playoffs to begin with.

Comic-related crankiness: Three DC books I was rather enjoying - Demon Knights, Dial H, and Threshold - have been cancelled. And as usual, the crybaby wing of the Internet blames the company as opposed to the lack of audience support.

I didn't enjoy Demon Knights, but I REALLY liked Dial H. So that's going to clear a spot on my pull list whether I like it or not. I was enjoying Threshold, but was worried it wouldn't last.

Damn, but DC's Young Justice Line is in dire straits.

On a completely other note: Charter sucks. We lost our internet last night, and it stayed down most o the day. Even when they got it 'back up' , it was timing out three times out of 4 with Google of all things, rendering it useless. It finally seems to be usable again, but I'm not expecting a day's worth of service taken off the bill

I didn't enjoy Demon Knights, but I REALLY liked Dial H. So that's going to clear a spot on my pull list whether I like it or not. I was enjoying Threshold, but was worried it wouldn't last.

I kinda knew Dial H was too quirky to last, so I guess I should be glad we got as many issues as we did. Threshold I knew was doomed.

The other announced cancellation was Legion of Super-Heroes, a book I gave up on some time ago. Unlike the others, though, I presume it'll be back in some format sooner than later.

My body has collapsed. Due to a stomach condition and medications and the fact that I have not been able to eat a meal since Friday, I cannot function or go to rehab for my hip or drive. I also have Tardive Dyskinesia and have had it for almost a week so my mouth smacks non-stop. I read that Melotonin helps, so I took three last night and one this morning. I hope they work because my overworked jaw is sore and it's driving me crazy. I stopped the medication that caused it last week, but the paper said it may not go away when you stop. God, I hope I don't have this for the rest of my life. Errands need to be done and I can't. I'm supposed to be driven to see my Parents on Saturday and go to a barbecue on Monday but I nearly passed out just getting my nails done. This is really bad. I can't live my life.

Last week I found out two items which have greatly saddened me.

1) The company I work for is relocating (I have known this part. The location is a new thing). The place the boss wants (and is close to getting) will almost double my commute from 30 minutes to an hour. The first place the boss spoke of only added negligible time to my trip. This move will substantially increase the commute time of almost everyone in the office.

2) My closest friend at work has decided to look for a new job. In RL, I never have made friends easily.

I just got an email from Vendini stating that their website got hacked. Since I made a purchase through them, my account information may have been compromised. Yes, I know that's always a risk, but I have to deal with this crap EVERY FRAKKING YEAR!!! :thumbdown

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am trying to write an email to the grammar nazis telling them that they are grammar nazis (using that phrase literally), that I don't want to be a grammar nazi, that their concern about student writing is admirable but their workshop examples of bad student writing were train wrecks for reasons that don't actually have anything to do with the students' writing skills, and I am demoralized because it seems that to be acknowledged as helping with the stated goal of improving student writing I have to become a grammar nazi, even though their pre-workshop "assigned reading" explicitly says that grammar nazis are, in fact, ineffective at improving student writing.

This is not going well.

I just got an email from Vendini stating that their website got hacked. Since I made a purchase through them, my account information may have been compromised. Yes, I know that's always a risk, but I have to deal with this crap EVERY FRAKKING YEAR!!! :thumbdown
Then quit hacking websites! ;)