The cranky thread

Hermit

One of the teaching labs (the one across from my office) was broken into last night. The police's burglary team hasn't been here yet to dust for prints, etc., yet, but probably they took all the Macs.
Turns out they burglarized two more rooms in this building and two other buildings on campus, as well as at least one location at the community college about eight blocks north of here.

So.

While I was away at Charlotte - or perhaps starting sometime before - the AC of the guy in the unit above me clogged, sending Lord knows how much water down to the carpeting and padding in the bedroom I sleep in, and the bedroom that I use as my storage locker.

Nothing is ruined, but there's a fair bit of mold and damp I'll be cleaning up tonight. May as well, since I won't get any sleep over the sound of the dehumidifiers.

So.

While I was away at Charlotte - or perhaps starting sometime before - the AC of the guy in the unit above me clogged, sending Lord knows how much water down to the carpeting and padding in the bedroom I sleep in, and the bedroom that I use as my storage locker.

Nothing is ruined, but there's a fair bit of mold and damp I'll be cleaning up tonight. May as well, since I won't get any sleep over the sound of the dehumidifiers.

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks.

They came back for the dehumidifiers today, and cleaned and refixed the affected areas of the carpet.

The walls are my problem, evidently. So is putting everything back where it belongs, but I don't mind that part and felt bad they had to move so much stuff in the first place (I hadn't known how far the water had spread).

So, University email, part of the glorious outsource thing that has left us with no physical presence by the IT infrastructure on campus, has been down for almost 24 hours, with two hours remaining before course grades are due.

Abrogation of contract by those DFUAs? Probably not; the status on the OIT web page indicates they are aware of an issue.

So, University email, part of the glorious outsource thing that has left us with no physical presence by the IT infrastructure on campus, has been down for almost 24 hours, with two hours remaining before course grades are due.

Abrogation of contract by those DFUAs? Probably not; the status on the OIT web page indicates they are aware of an issue.

On the upside: the usual administrator drones who like to scream at us to get our course grades in ... can't.

• 3 weeks later...

A night of Tchaikovsky in the America's Cup Pavilion, with a view of the Coit Tower in the background. Sounds like an enjoyable evening, right?

Well it might have been, if it weren't for the fact that half the audience came in late for the outdoor performance. Sitting in the bleachers next to metal stairs, I heard the noise made by all the latecomers, which was incredibly distracting. If they had all come in by the time the first piece had finished, I wouldn't have minded so much. But they kept filing in during the performance without end, even during the soloist's performance, which began about half an hour after the concert began. They weren't quiet about it, either. It was was quite frustrating. This sort of thing does not happen during an indoor concert, where people aren't allowed in after the concert has begun.

Let's not forget the jostling when people are trying to get to their seats. I understand a bit of that can happen while sitting in the bleachers, but getting a knee to my back is unforgivable. I'm sure it was an accident, but the person in question didn't even excuse himself. Small wonder I gave him a dagger look during the concert. He wisely left during the intermission, taking an exit far away from me, and he didn't return for the second part. That's just as well, because I was ready to take a swing at him or indeed at anyone else by the time the first part was done.

You'd think people would be more prompt when the second part of the concert began. But the latecomers did the same thing (albeit in lesser numbers), again making noise that made it difficult to listen to the music. A few people decided to stay in the ramp below me and began talking loudly enough for me to hear them.

Maybe that's the way outdoor concerts are. I don't know, and I don't plan to find out. From now on, I'm going to avoid outdoor concerts altogether. If this had been a free concert, I might have ignored all this. But I paid money to attend this concert, money which I now regret spending. Pity, the music was great. The soloist and the entire symphony actually did a fantastic job, at least when I could actually hear them. But the lack of consideration by the so many people ruined what should have been an enjoyable evening.

By the way, I'm not alone in this sentiment. I spoke to the lady beside me during the intermission; she also said she's going to stick to indoor concerts from now on as well.

I just wrote a scathing review about this experience. I hope it gets published soon.

Time to look for a new job. This one isn't working out.
Yeah, me too. It would be all right, but management is incompetent, and I'm tired of being asked to do the impossible because they can't be bothered to consult me before they commit to something. And then if I actually accomplish the impossible, I don't even get a 'thank you'.