The cranky thread

Hermit

Him: "If it seems like you might have too much to do, and some of it might fall through the cracks, let me know right away." Me: "Well like I told you, with this new project I am now on the hook for 300 hours of work between now and mid September. " Him: "So will you be able to handle it?"

In the last five days I have walked into two small businesses and both times I find out the proprietors are selling their shop and retiring effective month's end. I am afraid to walk into other places I like now.
I know the feeling. I saw a lot of businesses close down near my old workplace. Waldenbooks closed down. Round Table Pizza moved out. The deli I frequented closed as well. My favorite wine shop burned down with the adjacent restaurant, where the fire started. The first three happened when the recession was at its worst; the last happened last year.

• 5 weeks later...

We had parent teacher confrences last week, and as compensation for thirteen-hour days on Monday and Tuesday, we got Friday off. Sadly, I spent the entire weekend sick. I'm still not completely rid of the crud in my head, throat, and chest yet. That's not so bad, I guess, but now my 8+ month pregnant wife and 3-1/2 year old daughter have it, too. Crap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the day after my mother gets home my bowels complain and I basically spend the day in bed. Not the plan but ultimately beneficial. It was however the 13th. Coincidence ?

Also if you sell railway tickets do at least be aware that they can't be used from the station 3 days later due to engineering work and tell the purchaser.

Dear Mr X,

Let us review your situation. You got a 22 out of 100 on the first exam, but were unaware of that for most of a month because you never come to class and never picked it up. In fact, you learned of it from your advisor after I used the academic alert system telling her you were failing the course and should drop it before last Friday's deadline; you declined to do this because you'd lose your scholarship if you did. You have turned in exactly one assignment on time, the trivial one the first week of class. You skipped the second exam, made an appointment to take a make-up right after class yesterday, which you unilaterally canceled by email, sent halfway through that class (which, of course, you skipped). You have completely blown off the major writing assignment in the course by abject refusal to submit anything. You have declined to turn in the lab work, which is essential in the course as well. And now you subject me to your fantasy that you'll do well on the final and pass the course. Tell you what: don't bother me any more and I'll give you your F without any further aggravation on my part. Otherwise, you will have no grasp on how much I am going to enjoy watching you die.

Love and F's,

Dr. Cancer.

Lying in bed at 4 am when I suddenly realize I had forgotten to do something important at work. Now I have to the office on my day off and fix it. God, I hate my life!

Thanks, man. I flashed on this when I was about to leave the store last night for my day off with the office keys still in my pocket. Thanks to the Cranky Thread, now I don't have to go into work!

Get a message via facebook from Clueless.

"Hey, the key you gave me to my storage locker doesn't work!"

"Pretty sure I gave you the right one, and you're at #25?"

"Yep, different brand of lock on the unit as well."

"Ok, I'll come by in a few minutes to check."

Five minute drive later, no sign of Clueless.  I check the lock, yep, it's the right key, etc...

Get home, message back to say I didn't see her there, but am sure it's the right key.

She says she's been there the whole time.

I call her and ask what storage unit place she's at.  Of course it's the wrong one.  I should note, she has been to her storage before.

Car's in the shop again. No idea what's wrong this time.

I heard the engine rumbling and knocking, badly, while driving home from Kate's place around midnite. She's out of town and I'd been looking in on her cats. So anyway, it's midnight, raining, and my engine sounds like it's about to eat itself. I made it as far as the exit at the state line, where there's a motel. It was waaay too late to call anyone for a ride -- folks go to bed early around here, so all I could do was park my sick/dying car and check in for the night. Sixty three bucks a night, I had nothing packed (I thought I'd be home that night!) and I was really too stressed out to sleep anyway.

The next morning a co-worker had to come pick me up, because everyone at my house was out deer hunting. (Fresh venison this winter....) My mechanic couldn't get a wrecker up to the motel until later in the day, so I had to leave my car key at the front desk. I haven't heard from him, so he probably won't have a diagnosis until Monday. I'm betting it involves a new engine, which might as well mean a new car at this point.