The cranky thread

Hermit

I missed three days of work and have accrued 1.5 days of time off so far this year :(

Still kills to swallow, I bet it's where the doc cut me when taking my tonsils out.

Have something more to vent about but want a new "page." 

I lost about 20 lbs after I had my tonsils out.  (Also had my palette shaved, and other sleep apnea surgical items done)

On the rant bit, totally understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Five hours of emergency repairs today because the new guy working this weekend couldn't be bothered to do his job. Five hours of mud, oil, saltwater, melted electrical parts, charred wires, rusted fittings, bad lighting, heavy lifting, scrounging for spares, sore all over, and most of all I'm bloody annoyed.

Tomorrow, paperwork....

My wife is having a degerative spine disorder that is causing a lot of pain.

This started a couple years ago after her cancer treatments and she's gone thru a ton of pain meds.  Bunch of different types, with latest being fentanyl patches with Oxycontin pills for breakthru pain.  She still can only deal with a couple hours of activity before needing to lay down.

She was stubborn and kept working, but she'd work, then come home and often turn in then.

This January, she finally gave in and decided she needed to work on getting this resolved.

The cranky bits:

1) Short Term Disability has been denied again. They say it doesn't look so bad.  (This is with a lot of doctors trying to help her for two years.) (We're appealing again)

2) Finally decided to check in with a neuro-surgeon (we've done all the pain doctors, physical therapy, etc...).  First appointment is in late May.  (which is better than the other doctor who would be able to fit us in August...)

And of course now we expect her work to start being jerks.  (maybe i'll be surprised...)

My wife is having a degerative spine disorder that is causing a lot of pain.

This started a couple years ago after her cancer treatments and she's gone thru a ton of pain meds.  Bunch of different types, with latest being fentanyl patches with Oxycontin pills for breakthru pain.  She still can only deal with a couple hours of activity before needing to lay down.

She was stubborn and kept working, but she'd work, then come home and often turn in then.

This January, she finally gave in and decided she needed to work on getting this resolved.

The cranky bits:

1) Short Term Disability has been denied again. They say it doesn't look so bad.  (This is with a lot of doctors trying to help her for two years.) (We're appealing again)

2) Finally decided to check in with a neuro-surgeon (we've done all the pain doctors, physical therapy, etc...).  First appointment is in late May.  (which is better than the other doctor who would be able to fit us in August...)

And of course now we expect her work to start being jerks.  (maybe i'll be surprised...)

My sympathies and best wishes. 

House sitting this week.

One of the dogs has decided that getting sick is a great idea.

Not sure if he managed to eat something that did this, but he vomited all night Thursday night.  He's an 80lb dog and I have now done the laundry eight times using up all towels.

He saw a vet on Friday that didn't find anything really wrong, but gave some anti-nausea meds.  Of course, I get back to the house with him, and he vomits again.

Next morning he vomits some digetive blood.  Thankfully, I got him into the vet at my wife's work even though the dog is now a "public" dog, not an employee dog.
So he got an ultrasound, bloodwork, hydration and a few other things, but nothing really has shown itself.  He'll go back to the clinic in the morning. (didn't want to leave him overnight since they don't have an overnight person at this time)

My friend who I'm housesitting for will be running the St. Patrick Marathon in Portland tomorrow, she'll be back here Wed. (unless she catches an earlier flight).

I've gotten at most 3 hours of sleep any of the last few nights and this is the first time I have house sat, and one of the animals has gotten sick.

Well, Bob seems to be resting comfortably on the couch now and I'm going to sleep in the chair (large comfy chair)  across from him.

What in Blue F***ing Blazes is it that people have decided they don't have to quote their actual measurements in their lab reports just because it's the LAST lab report of the term?!? That's 5% of your course grade, people, that you are p***ing away due to willful stupid laziness.

I crucify people for falsifying data, and I have a number of ways to check for it.  There's a penalty for botching what you were supposed to be doing, but correct treatment of flawed data gets full points.  And I want to see error estimates propagated correctly, too.

Now, I don't announce up front about that correct treatment of flawed data; that would be taken as carte blanche to make up crap data (which I again consider a crucifixion offense) and not bother measuring anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, I am bitten by the misfeature of software development that writers of user manuals are not evaluated by people who actually use the manuals to try and use the software; they are evaluated by people who are, almost by definition, not inexperienced users of the software.

Who needs help from a manual most? A first-time user. And when your interface for first-time use of a feature is different from the interface for all other uses of the feature, and only the repeat-use interface is in your manual, your new users find themselves wishing for two things: (1) your current location, and (2) artillery capable of bombarding that location.