The cranky thread

Hermit

Ugh. This is weird.

So, long story short, I was in a car crash 18 years ago. Got hit on the driver's side by a youngster who ran a red light. Walked away with lots of bruises and a sore shoulder. Everything healed up after a few weeks, and you'd think that would be the end of it.

But there was a small cyst, right in the center of my sternum, just under the skin. (A result of bruised cartilage between sternum and rib cage.) It just sat there doing nothing for 18 years, no pain, no symptoms, and I never considered it worth the trouble of removing.

And a week ago, something went wrong. Now that tiny little cyst is the size of a friggin' grape, sore all the time, painful to touch, obviously full of fluid, and I spiked a fever friday night so it's probably infected, too. Went to the clinic last night hoping to get it lanced or something, but the doctor on call recommended having a surgeon remove the whole thing instead. And he prescribed some antibiotics. Until then, I'm stuck with this thing.

So now I'm out the door to the pharmacy to pick up some drugs, which are going to help, but will also kill everything in my gut. (Can you say diarrhea?) And I'm waiting for a referral so I can get an appointment for a nice surgeon in a hospital an hour away to stab me in the chest.

Bleah. :idjit:

my life as a mouse jocky is killing my right arm. Hurts anytime I move it out of the mouse position. it's annoying and the doc kind of shrugged it off. 

Ouch. You need a doc who understands RSI's. You might also need a different input device for your computer. Check out some ergonomic alternatives. Logitech and Kensington make some trackballs with halfway decent ergonomics. (Although Logitech's best one is discontinued. Clot-heads probably found out how much I liked it.... mumblegrumbletheyallhatemelifesuxblahblahblah)

I ruined my right wrist pushing a mouse around for 80 hours a week for a month back in the nineties. My whole hand basically went numb except for my wrist, which hurt like hell. To this day I have to drive the mouse left handed, if I use my right hand it'll last about 20 minutes before it starts to tighten up again.

My wife is having a degerative spine disorder that is causing a lot of pain.

This started a couple years ago after her cancer treatments and she's gone thru a ton of pain meds.  Bunch of different types, with latest being fentanyl patches with Oxycontin pills for breakthru pain.  She still can only deal with a couple hours of activity before needing to lay down.

She was stubborn and kept working, but she'd work, then come home and often turn in then.

This January, she finally gave in and decided she needed to work on getting this resolved.

The cranky bits:

1) Short Term Disability has been denied again. They say it doesn't look so bad.  (This is with a lot of doctors trying to help her for two years.) (We're appealing again)

2) Finally decided to check in with a neuro-surgeon (we've done all the pain doctors, physical therapy, etc...).  First appointment is in late May.  (which is better than the other doctor who would be able to fit us in August...)

And of course now we expect her work to start being jerks.  (maybe i'll be surprised...)

I don't seem to have a very good connection, but I'll say a prayer for you both. 

can't stop being angry. This is one of those times anything and everything sets me off.

I had that problem for about a week and a half.   I think I am doing better yesterday and today, but...

Possible causes in my case:

Still unemployed, broke, waiting for the latest withdrawal from my 403b.   This will make almost half of it. 

My dad is fighting Alzheimers, has so many other medical problems he has a hard time walking.   Many of the problems would improve if he would be more active, but when it hurts unless you are laying down...

My mom has been suffering for over a decade from what appears to be a CRIPPLING Irritable Bowel Syndrome.   Pain, Diarrhea, etc.   She ended up having her gall bladder out a year and a half ago, iirc  

She has been in the hospital or a care facility for almost a month.   The first day they went in and took out some stones from the common bile duct, and implanted a stent.  Yesterday they finally went back in and removed another stone, a bunch of sludge, and the stent.   She is in almost no pain today, rather than the crippling pain she has had.

My son's teacher is trying to get us to have him diagnosed with ADHD, and preferably medicated.  

My wife took this week off work, while our son is on spring break, so we can get things done.

Yesterday, while I was waiting for my mom at the hospital, my wife threw out her back.   She was in crying agony last night, but increasing the dosage of Ibuprofen has finally helped SOME.  If it hadn't, I was going to drag her to the Urgent care despite her protests. 

People say that the Lord does not give us trials we can't handle.   I am beginning to fear that he has an inaccurate view of my strength. 

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

That is better. 

Further on the wife's back stuff:

We have appealed again, though not with any better documentation, after meeting with several people who said, just resubmit.  First time is always rejected.

Good news front, the pain doctor and orthopedic surgeon took another look at figure the pain is radiating further up than where she got injected before.  So she got a bunch of injections to the thorasic (sp?) region.  This does seem to have helped a lot with the pain.  And since my wife hasn't gotten a good nights sleep in probably 2 years, she's been sleeping most of the week.

Bad news is, end of the month, she'll probably be cut loose from work.  And then it's COBRA for insurance.  We can't even afford one month at that rate.   And we couldn't apply for healthcare earlier, since we had insurance, and with the deadline past, it takes a special exception to get it.  So we probably will not have insurance come may.  I have applied for a job that will get us insurance, but even though I'm more than qualified, I doubt I'll get it.

As long as its just an itch, right? Keep an eye on that thing!

I'm going into (outpatient) surgery this afternoon. I'll post again afterwards.

It's just itching after reading your trials.   It's been the same size since my early 20s, so nothing too much to worry about.  Good luck with your surgery.

Well, no surgery today. The cyst is worse than I thought, and the doctor said I'd need a general anesthetic during the removal. There might also be an abscess. (Ugh!) Had some chest x-rays today and when those come back we'll know. 

So it's off to the hospital Friday morning. Meanwhile, I've still got this stupid cyst....

Good luck with that.   I know a guy who, though a Veteran and incredibly physically fit, might well be passed out on the ground from just discussing what you have. 

Yuck.  I helped my dad and my wife both with surgical incisions that had infections.   YUCK.

Good luck with that.   I know a guy who, though a Veteran and incredibly physically fit, might well be passed out on the ground from just discussing what you have. 

Yuck.  I helped my dad and my wife both with surgical incisions that had infections.   YUCK.

First day was the absolute worst. Wet to dry wound dressings are a real pain!

Awesome Gamer Girl turns out to be very good at this sort of thing, and she changed the would dressing for me. In spite of her talents, it was still... excruciating. But I gritted my teeth, toughed it out, and she did an excellent job. Felt a lot better afterwards.

We repeated the procedure again this morning. I was scared witless, after yesterday, but the wound is healing up very well thanks to her, so replacing the dressing hardly hurt at all. I think the worst is over. I'm still feeling kinda weak, but what do I expect?