The cranky thread

Hermit

I probably won't have cash to go Christmas shopping this year. Everyone gets a Christmas card, and that's it.

This is a reasonable response, but something I have done is make a couple batches of Almond Roca and give bags or plates of it to all the close friends and family.   Not TOO pricey...    Each batch is a pound of butter, 2-3 cups sugar(depending on sweetness desired), a half cup or so of sliced or slivered almonds,  and a couple handfuls of chocolate chips.  I have been making it since I was about 12...

I went in for my third appointment since having my knee replaced and the doctor is concerned about possible arthrofibrosis. On Monday I'll be going in to have it manipulated.  Basically, that means they'll be knocking me out and wrenching it around to break things lose from any excess scar tissue that might be impeding motion.

On the good side, between my drastically increased level of physical activity and the fact I quit smoking when I had surgery, my weight is steadily falling, even as I'm putting muscle back on. Aside from my knee, I haven't felt this good in a decade or more. 

This is how the conversation must have gone.

P1: We have this program that runs just fine on one person's computer, but more people need to use it.

P2: How many?

P1: Oh, all engineers enterprise wide.

P2: So, the data needs to be on the network.

P1: Right, but ain't nobody got time to turn the desktop app into a web app. That would be best.

P2: Well, until we have the time, how about we just tweak a few things and put that Access program out on the network. We can have a consultant come in and update it. Of course, he won't leave any helpful comments in the code for us, and will make it a maze of VB calls, and untracable routines, but it'll work. People can access it from their desk by a link but all the data will be in one place. What can go wrong?

@Vurbal: Did you survive the knee manipulation?

I survived the manipulation,  but I'm not sure I'll make it through the next month of physical therapy. It's my own fault in a way. I push myself as hard as possible at home, so it's almost like having PT nearly every day of the week. I was so sore on Thursday (the 3rd PT session in as many days) that my therapist decided not to inflict any of her usual torture. 

Also, it occurred to me that the muscles which are causing the most problems probably haven't stretched like this for the better part of a decade. My arthritis just hasn't allowed me to move like that for a long time. 

Wife's car was stolen last night, sometime after we got home from gaming about midnight.

Edit: Not bad. Police just got here.

I have a special place in my heart for car thieves, having had my own stolen once. Hope they catch the bastard.

Try to remember everything that was in the car too. The worst part is going to be the possibility of identity theft.

Got the car back, about 11 hours after we noticed it was missing. It was abandoned about two-three miles away. Haven't carefully inspected it for loss or damage yet (too dark). Only obvious things missing are the car charger for the work computer and the navigation system, all of which are US Govt property (wife works for the Census Bureau). The identity theft issues are ones we are aware of, as I ran up against those back in 2001 when someone tried to use my insurance after totalling a car I had previously owned via an expired insurance card I must have missed when I cleaned out the car. Aside from a ten-minute phone conversation that didn't cost me anything.