The cranky thread

Hermit

It does seem shockingly crass.  I suppose we should be happy he didn't forward the jokes to his former girlfriend's family.

I've known too many people whose lives were screwed up by alcohol.  I wouldn't expect prohibition to work, but I really don't understand the cultural fixation with drinking.  At all.

My mother helped to look after an elderly woman (in her 90s) who died just before Christmas. She had to go into a home, and unknown to her, her sister in law was there. After the body was given to the funeral home nothing was done, the death was not even recorded. when my mother and a friend tried to get the sister in law to sign a piece of paper giving them power of attorny to get the paperwork sorted out, the sister in law refused saying it was not legal. Apparantly there was a family feud that happened 30 years ago and it is still going on after death. So my mother is going to have a word with the council on Monday in order to get things going.

Poor woman still can't be buried. Now being taken up with the coroner as death not registered. Council were no help at all.

But today's crank is not about not being able to access the site for two days. It seems no-one else could so no foul. No. My mother rang asking about odd thing on her bank statement today including Google Fish and Pizza Hut on the 2nd. I was with her on the 2nd and neither of us like Pizza. She went ino the bank and hackers got onto the account and took $1,500 or so in seperate purchases. My mother is very careful with her stuff shredding every last envelope that has her address on it and does not have Internet banking. Bank have been nice to her so things ar ok although it has upset her.

You don't like pizza?! What kind of American are you? ;)

Sympathies on the bank account. At least it got cleaned up quickly. The Russians got my credit card info once. It too was cleared up easily but I understand that debit transactions are not so easily reversed.

American banks are backtracking on chip-and-PIN too so it's a good time to be a black hat.

So last year I got hired as a tempory photographer, but the manager did say he wanted to make it full time permament.

October, the money ran out so we seperated.  Good terms, manager volunteers to write a reference letter, blah blah blah.

Still in the area, and still doing occasional volunteer photography for the organization.  I get an email from a friend saying that the org just posted a photography position.  This is back in Decemeber.  Slightly annoyed that they didn't contact me, but figure HR rules were in the way. (it's happened before).  I find out that my coworker there didn't even know they were posting the position.

Neverless, I applied.  This was early December.  No contact... But then, the org hasn't moved on a bunch of positions in other departments that they are short staffed on, so who knows?

I'm more cranky with myself.  Do I want to work for this organization again or do I want to get out of the area?  I know I'd do a good job, and bring more than just a good eye for images, but I there's the appeal of moving back up to the northwest.

Why would you want to work for such a wishy washy employer?

Well, I am being wishy washy about wanting to work there.  The job, if I get it, is enjoyable and I wouldn't have to deal with most of the crap.   There are around 3 other positions that I'm well qualified for, and one would pay a lot more than the photography gig.

The high paying one would entail a lot of political BS and would be the most stressful.   The other two would be lower paying, and the managers are very bad in those areas.

I think I would prefer some sort of answer at this point, but without actually calling the manager, I probably can't speed anything up.  (And yes, I did email him earlier to highlight that I was still interested)

As it is, it's not really doing anything but annoying me since my wife & I are in the middle of downsizing our stuff and getting the house ready to sell.  Which we will do even if I get the job.  We have another lot that we can develop and there's a few things we'd like to explore with that.

Hello,

I thought I'd give this place a visit again, and give a summary of my 2014 year:

* Lost a 9-year coworker and friend in Feb. when he attempted to kill his ex-wife and then committed suicide.

* Lost my last uncle (and my mother's last sibling) to natural causes in March.

* Lost a friend (and good GM) to heart attack and resulting brain damage.  Alive, but very little is left.

* Lost my mother in May when my father had an episode of dementia and strangled her to death barehanded.

* Lost my father (see above).  Alive, but mentally fading, and incarcerated.

* Found out my oldest sister has lymphoma in August

* Found out my middle sister's husband has cancer in August.

* Helped my sisters clean up/out our parent's home.

I can safely say that 2014 is the worst year of my life.  I have always been an advocate for "fighting the good fight", but I think I'm beginning to comprehend what can drive a person to do something... rash.

On the upside, I've found that I have a fairly good ability to hold my liquor.

I hope other's fared better.

Oh, and I got let go from work yesterday.  Apparently, being human and suffering from insomnia from the above isn't tolerated.

• 2 weeks later...

So there's a few criticisms I will not levy against a person.  I will not complain about their authentic laughter, especially if it nervous, and I will not complain about their singing.  Life has little enough joy for either of those to be taken away.  That said, my 14yo son sings horribly, loudly, and often enough that I'm spending a lot of time at home with earbuds in.  He goes through periods where he is obsessed with certain songs, and does things to them that would make CIA black site interrogators shudder.  I've lived through the months long massacre of Defying Gravity (defining tragedy), so much Let it Go that I think hypothermia would be preferable, and now he has discovered the wonderful Awesome Mixtape 1 from Guardians of the Galaxy, which he is murdering one by one like Little Bunny Foo Foo and all those poor field mice.

The men in my family go deaf as they get older, and I'm not afraid of that anymore...

My dog is a 13 years old, a wonderful mostly lab (1/4 beagle) who has been a delight to me. She's gone somewhat deaf, and is a shadow to me when I walk around.

And today we learn from the vet she may have lymphoma or something. A biopsy was taken. I'll know in three days or so.  Given her age, an operation of any sort would likely be a death sentence so I fear if its positive, there won't be much we can do.

She's had a long full life, and been a better dog in many ways than I deserve. I had braced myself, I thought, to deal with the fact she would not be with me for many more years.  And yet I'm feeling stunned and shaken at this news. It maybe the biopsy will come back with goodnews, and I'm shaken by nothing.

Let's hope.

But if the worse happens, I have no intention of letting her suffer either.

The bad news... it is a form of lymphoma that my dog has.

Good news, she's not really in pain yet.

Chemo was ruled out, at her age, it would be miserable with little chance of success. There is some medication we're going to try, if she responds well, it will reduce inflammation and improve her quality of life.  How long she'll have after that is kind of iffy. At 13, it could be a question of whether she'd die of her years or the cancer first, but with the vet saying she's not in pain and hopefully won't be ...well, I guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...