The cranky thread

Hermit

That is a really miserable situation.  If you could at least let things dry before folding, etc, it would not be so bad...

True.  Instead I had to take everything home wet and spent the rest of the day drying stuff off.  In fact I still have a tent pitched in my garage.

We've been getting a lot of those the past couple of weeks.  Thursday's one spoofed the real domain for American Express so it sailed right in through the spam filter.  Fortunately the link went to a known bad site so the firewall would have stopped it on the way out if anyone had tried to click on it.

Wife in meeting with manager right now: Her job is being outsourced to India. Way to pay back nearly 20 years of loyalty, HP.

That sucks. One of the reasons I refuse to go back to a job that would probably rehire me is that the company treats its employees that way.

To be fair, this is the services division, which will likely fold in the near future. For small lasers, I'd still probably go with HP, it's one of the very few things they tend to do right.

Overall, though, the company is run by bastards, for bastards. But the same can be said of many companies.

No-one wants to buy anything any more. (It's the demographics, stupid!) So we cut, cut, cut, cut to make the profit targets. I could swear that we're in a deflationary spiral, except that the numbers say that we're not. 

Anyway, just read a bit on the Huffington Post about a retail outfit in Massachusetts that can't hire "qualified people" to write resupply orders at $15/hour.So it is automating ordering. Now, let the record show that computerised ordering doesn't work. It's been one train wreck after another, from Walmart's we-can-still-limp-along high out of stock situation, to Target Canada's epic meltdown.

To get a sense of why it doesn't work, consider the case in our stores (which haven't even automated ordering yet, just picking), where for two weeks we didn't have any Hellman's mayonnaise on the shelf, in any of the approximately million flavours and sizes it comes in, because the computers up the supply chain weren't recognising the string "Hellman."  Now it's happening with De Monte brand canned fruit....

Nominally, the solution is to cut down the range of price variations, hence data entry operations --get rid of sales, and we'll be fine! It's like the solution to a foot that gets sore when you walk on it is to cut it off....Except that it was Walmart's retreat from that policy that began the spiralling trend to logistical disaster in the industry in the first place.

To be fair, this is the services division, which will likely fold in the near future. For small lasers, I'd still probably go with HP, it's one of the very few things they tend to do right.

Overall, though, the company is run by bastards, for bastards. But the same can be said of many companies.

HP went off into the weeds back in the Carly days, around the turn of the century, and has been lost ever since. Since then it's been palace intrigue at the top while the proletariat struggle on with no direction or support. (And by palace intrigue I mean it--spies, betrayal, everything short of murder. )

HP went off into the weeds back in the Carly days, around the turn of the century, and has been lost ever since. Since then it's been palace intrigue at the top while the proletariat struggle on with no direction or support. (And by palace intrigue I mean it--spies, betrayal, everything short of murder. )

Ah, Carly, nobody has ever deserved being scapegoated more. Yeah, it's going to be a slow death, but one the wife and I are looking forward to.