The cranky thread

Hermit

Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett Packard from 1999 to 2005, oversaw the merger of HP with Compaq. During her tenure, HP stock lost about half of its value. She's probably going to run for the Republican nomination for President in 2016, even though she still has a large amount of debt from her failed bid to unseat California Senator Barbara Boxer back in the 2010 elections.

Ah, Carly, nobody has ever deserved being scapegoated more. Yeah, it's going to be a slow death, but one the wife and I are looking forward to.

Carly's tenure is when HP's corporate culture went full Dilbert.  I knew an HP engineer back then who literally had fifty hours of meetings in their calendar.  Carly's sole purpose as CEO appears to have been merging HP and Compaq into something that was far less competitive than either entity had been on its own.

Not that Meg is any improvement.

Still waiting for my refund.

Turns out there was a problem with my e-file, and H&R Block didn't bother to tell me! :thumbdown

Need to fix this tomorrow, and I may have to miss the job fair I was planning to attend.

Sometimes, I really do think the universe hates me.

Turns out there was a problem with my e-file, and H&R Block didn't bother to tell me! :thumbdown

Need to fix this tomorrow, and I may have to miss the job fair I was planning to attend.

Sometimes, I really do think the universe hates me.

Good luck.  I know the feeling.   As soon as you think you MIGHT see the light at the end of the tunnel, something breaks down...

Today I did an interview for a job that is ...   It is still a job, so it would be better than where I am now. 

Pretty much. Turns out customer support couldn't fix the problem and I have to fill in the forms myself. What really gets me is I have a week to finish what I thought I'd done last month.

I've had a couple of interviews last week. I haven't heard back from anyone yet. Good luck to all fellow job seekers.

Hmm.  Well, I don't know how your blockhead works, but the couple of times I used them, I sat in a pop-up office and watched the nice lady basically type my info into their equivalent of TurboTax for me.  There was no analysis or advice involved.

So far this epoch I've been using a CPA.  My taxes got way complicated around the turn of the century and it was nice to be able to just take all my forms in a big envelope and drop it all off and write a check later.  It's kind of stupid now because it's expensive and my taxes aren't nearly as complex as they once were, but I feel like the only other valid option is TurboTax, and, no.

I filed my taxes online. If I'd have gone to one of their offices, I'd have paid $300 or so.

I used to know a CPA. I should have gone to him for advice. The only reason I didn't do my own taxes this year was because I collected unemployment and wasn't sure how to figure that.

And apparently, no one designing the system we are migrating out of ever said, "you know, using employee names as the data's primary key instead of their employee id number, which is guaranteed to be unique in the company, is a bad idea." No, this is not a program we wrote.

I got a POSTCARD notifying me that I did not get the job I interviewed for this week.  I thought the interview went well, but I walked out and called my BiLaw and said "I either talked myself into the job or out of it."

It was really a LOUSY job, but right now, I can't be too picky.  

Sucks gewing.  Although a postcard is far more than I ever got from a job rejection.  Can't remember what field you're in but keep looking.

I have reached the point that I am in whatever field I can make some money.  

I don't want to go back to working Security.  17 years was enough, and that was at a SUPERB job.