The cranky thread

Hermit

the new job seems to be working out pretty well.   

Monday I got the policy on bonuses for attendance and Quality Assurance explained, I could Expect at least an extra 50 cents per hour, maybe a dollar. 

Tuesday my boss apologetically informed me that HE had just been informed that my job title was not supposed to get that bonus, if we had gotten them in the past, OKAY, but not in future. 

BLEARGH.  

And I am going to have to change my schedule such that I get up at about 0300, and start work at 0500, so I can get home when my son gets out of school.   Not only am I a night owl by nature, but this will mean a minor change in how I do my job, so it will not be as pleasant until November at least. 

I was planning to go on a day trip today, but I was in such a bad mood, I decided to postpone it for a few days. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere in a hurry.

I went on my day trip despite my bad mood, determined to have a good time. Of course, crap had to happen, and I injured my leg when I slipped down a few stairs. Nothing serious, but it's going to be painful for a couple of days.

Maybe the universe really is out to get me after all.

Hope the migraine abates. I only get sinus headaches, which are bad enough. My brother used to get debilitating migraines. You have my sympathy.

Also in the news: Last night, I discovered I definitely do NOT want to be a Hollywood stuntman. I discovered this by crashing through a section of hand rail and landing on the trunk of my car as I was bringing in groceries last night.

We have about six or so steps up to our door, and the rail was loose when we bought the place. My trick knee decided to play tricks and unlocked as I was stepping onto the last step, on the same side as the handrail, and I hit it. Then I reflexively grabbed the rail and pushed off of it . . . big mistake. Ended up taking out the rail and landing on it on the trunk of my car. Fortunately, it was only a drop of a couple feet. The car actually saved me from falling all the way to the cement pad of the carport.

I'm physically fine, minus the serious body aches and joint aches this morning from bruising and pulled muscles and torqued joints. But these kinds of falls are always way worse the next day. It's not going to be a very productive day.

stickpin-fire-Washington.jpg

Three Washington state firefighters were killed yesterday in the Stickpin fire, now 37,000 acres on the upper Kettle River, within 6km of Grand Forks and approaching, with nothing but sunny and hot in the forecast. The firefighter base at Midway is being described as a virtual army camp, but there's just more fire than hands to fight it. I'm beginning to think there's something to this whole "global warming" thing.

(And I wish Hermit had used his psychic powers to see this coming.) 

stickpin-fire-Washington.jpg

Three Washington state firefighters were killed yesterday in the Stickpin fire, now 37,000 acres on the upper Kettle River, within 6km of Grand Forks and approaching, with nothing but sunny and hot in the forecast. The firefighter base at Midway is being described as a virtual army camp, but there's just more fire than hands to fight it. I'm beginning to think there's something to this whole "global warming" thing.

(And I wish Hermit had used his psychic powers to see this coming.)

RIP, guys. You earned it.

And the surviving firefighters are up against up to 50 mph wind gusts....

If the wind changes direction, it could burn out the entire state east of the Cascades.

There was only one small fire really close to me, ant the others have been probably 25+ miles away.   Not that one spark could not destroy everything in my area...

It is so dry out there, if you haven't experienced such, you probably will not get it.  

So I book a plumber on Friday to turn up at 11:00 am today. By 11:30 no sign. Ring the number and I am told that it would be between 11:00 and 12:00. Around 12:30 I get a call saying they can';t do it today can they do it tomorrow ?

I set the day around this so yes I am needled. And I have to get this sorted out by Thursday close of play.

And don't get me started on th council who can't rely to e-mails on time.

My mom ordered a new sofa and loveseat from Sears. There was a bit of delay, as the order got mixed up. After that was cleared, she got a notice saying the delivery was set for today. Yesterday, she gave her old furniture to her in-laws, since they just moved to a new house. Sears called to confirm the delivery this afternoon. This morning, my mom got a call, saying delivery was delayed until next month. She is not happy. She may just cancel the order and get her furniture elsewhere.