The cranky thread

Hermit

So, just how many times should I have to tell a Customer Service Rep, 'No, our software won't do that.' before said CSR finally stops asking the same damn question?  So far we're up to 5 times in the last 2 weeks.  It's the same question from the same customer every few days.  I understand that the customer keeps bugging you, but you already know the answer so why are you bugging me?  I am development.  I am not customer support.  That's your job.

What really annoys me about this is that we have a process in place for customers to request enhancements to our software.  This CSR knows the process (he actually manages it from the support side).  Start the frakking enhancement request process already and quit asking me the same damn question.

Dear customer.  What on earth possessed you to think that going into the backend database of our application and changing a column definition from Character Varying to Integer was a good idea?  The fact that you know how to do this suggests you've had some SQL training at least and you may even be a DBA for all I know.  However, you don't (can't) know all the ways in which our application interacts with the database so, of course, you broke it causing me to have to run around cleaning up your mess.

It really is all about that old adage, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

In Japan, assuming you don't have the wiring already set up, it can often take about three weeks to get internet set up in your place. NTT, who is largely a monopoly when it comes to the infastructure side for phones, internet, etc, is slow to set things up. But once things are set up, it is suppose to be super simple to connect through with what ever ISP you decided to go with (and there is a lot of choice). So I made my call to set up internet in my new place in my first weekend here and arrange for the NTT fella to come out last Saturday. He did. He was the quietest worker I think I have ever met, and that is saying a lot for Japan. He, by Japanese standards, was even rude because he decided to take a personal call while in my house and on the clock. But that is forgivable. But he was suppose to not only do the physical install but aid in the connecting of my internet. He didn't. He just have me a useless CD and said I should get a call from my ISP. I, not knowing any better just went with it. I waited until late into the evening when I finally broke down and called the ISP myself. They couldn't figure out why I couldn't connected and blamed it on NTT and told me I would have to call them. Once again, NTT is a monopoly and have monopoly style hours of operation and support! But I finally had the afternoon off and called them. Talking about what my ISP had me do, they told that it was useless. And they did not know why my ISP had me do something that only works on a wifi network since I clearly don't have one. Then told me to call my ISP. So I called my ISP and they told me they would have to give me a call back and do the official set up... WTF?! Why not just call me on the day it was set up? Why did I have to call them twice to figure out that they were suppose to call me the whole time? But I said okay and waited. And waited. And waited. After 3 or 4 hours, I called back. They said they were sorry but the support center was busy and to please keep waiting. I was growing quite perturbed by this but accepted that. It was almost time for their support center to close and yet I had not gotten a call back. So I called them. Came to find out that they were indeed closed for the day already and that there was nothing they could do until tomorrow...

Okay, so I generally strive to be a polite and cordial individual in all situations I can be. I like to think of that as being my inner Japanese coming out. I have never raised my voice in anger at anyone on a phone - not even telemarketers. I talk with people who knock on my door and even offer people relief from the heat or cold when they do so. Even when issues like splitting checks or someone not being able to pay come up I always take it in stride and try not to dwell. And I think that in my nearly fours years of living in Japan, I have never once actually raised my voice in Japanese. But then I was told to wait until tomorrow. That was the last straw. 

So I raised my voice. I didn't curse but it was quite clear that I was quite angry. Despite that I was politely told that all they could do was pass on the info to the support center and they would call me after they open up tomorrow (like all Japanese companies, they open at 10am). I then proceeded to tell the guy that if I didn't get a call by 11am, I would cancel this service and move to a new company tomorrow. With that we said good bye. As I have no food in my house and have waited the whole time, I finally decided to go to a local Japanese-Fast-Food chain and have a small dinner. Just as I finish up, I get a call from A support center. Apparently expressing anger and threatening to change companies is the only way one can get shit down here! I waited politely and patiently for six hours today (not counting the week leading up to this) but only waited 20 minutes impolitely to get shit fixed. 

Why was that so hard for them? Why did I need to become hostile before shit got done? I had being aggressive like that and I really hate doing it in Japanese, but good god does it feel good to look at a webpage that isn't on my phone. I love my phone and all, but damn! 

Anyway, that is my rant for the day.

Foreign Orchid. 

I woke up this morning thinking it was tomorrow morning. I'm off today, but I'm working early in the morning tomorrow. So imagine my panic when I looked at the time and thinking that not only was I 2 hours late, but also that I had missed the class I'm supposed to teach. I jumped out of bed and started dressing, cursing each and every second. Eventually I realized my mistake and calmed down a bit.

As if that wasn't enough to make me cranky, I called my friends up to make plans for my upcoming birthday next week. One of them insists on imposing his schedule, since he wants to play in a game at the local game store. Okay, we can go to dinner on another day, no need to hurry. But no, he had to argue the point, insisting we go to lunch that day and play in the evening. That's when I lost it and yelled at him that I am NOT going to go by his f***ing schedule. It's MY f***ing birthday; we're going by MY f***cking schedule!!!

All right, what kind of jackass can't see a minivan stopped at an intersection? It's not like a Cooper Mini or a Smart Car. It's a freakin' MINIVAN!

In related news, spending the evening in the ER with two young children isn't a good time for anyone.

Fortunately, everybody is okay.

All right, what kind of jackass can't see a minivan stopped at an intersection? It's not like a Cooper Mini or a Smart Car. It's a freakin' MINIVAN!

In related news, spending the evening in the ER with two young children isn't a good time for anyone.

Holy crap.

Glad to hear we're all ok. How's the van?

Glad everyone is okay but watch out for delayed back/neck pain. Took the wife a few months for that to go away after we got rear ended by the stoned guy. Also I hope you got jackass' insurance info.

Yeah, been through that myself a few times (worst was the priest running a red light and t-boning me at 45 mph). A lot of times symptoms won't show up until a day or three later. Hope everyone stays okay and that the other driver has proper insurance.

Dammit! When are people going to learn that I'm the only one who gets to mess with Pariah?

My condolences, Pariah. Not even a Broncos fan deserves something like that. A Raiders fan maybe but not a Broncos fan.

Glad to hear everyone's okay. And I pray that everything goes smoothly with your insurance claim.

Can someone please explain to me why we have developers in this company who insist on returning everything as an exception?  This is not the first time I've run into this here.  There is absolutely no reason to throw an exception explaining that the transaction we just initiated was a success.  All that does is force me to add in exception handling to handle something that's working as designed.  This is annoyingly counter-intuitive and completely unnecessary.

Aah, yes, the return of the unbeloved, execrable ERROR_SUCCESS.

I was once told that kind of thing was to give you assurance that something did, in fact, happen, at least back in the days when a communication failure left the register receiving the return value unchanged.

* spits *