The cranky thread

Hermit

I have just about had it with my phone. The dropped calls, the constant crashes, the periodic lag times the likes of which I haven’t experienced since LambdaMOO, the comically short battery life (which, in fairness, the nice lady at the store warned me would likely happen), the idiotic and counterintuitive autocorrect (seriously, do you really think I mean ‘thus’ every single time I swipe the word ‘this’?  What are the odds?), the need to reboot the phone every night so that it will recognize that it’s plugged in and needs to recharge (see ‘comically short battery life’ above), and now, for no readily apparent reason, now an incident where it only works on speaker mode? I’m sick of it. This phone fills me with anger, the kind of white-hot rage that make me want to shout unpleasant interjections at passing tumbleweeds, or knock low-flying birds out of the sky with a golf club. It makes me want to put my phone in a box, and then put that box in a larger box (you can see where I’m going with this, can’t you?), and then mail that box to myself, and when it’s delivered, SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!

Seriously, my phone is getting on my nerves.

Sadly, replacement isn’t really an option right now. :(

Ugh! Some of these issues sound suspiciously similar to the problems my Awesome Gamer Girl keeps having with her phone! Just curious, what model is this finely crafted piece of junk?

In retrospect, I suspect I should have made SURE he had tried his prescription antacids.   Now I feel bad.

Eh, don't feel bad.  My wife was having abdominal pain a couple weeks ago and we took her to the emergency room.  Ended up having her gall bladder removed.  Better to be on the safe side, IMO.

Last night I ate at a restaurant. I tried to pay with a gift card I had received. It was rejected, so I paid with my debit card. No big deal until I check the balance on my gift card. It showed the restaurant charge went through and charged me again for something I didn't buy. So I have a zero balance on my card. I called the gift card company to dispute the charges. I was told it would take 3-7 days for the cash to be returned. So I can't use the card to buy something today. In the meantime, I tried calling the restaurant, but it's not open until tomorrow.

I know this sort of crap happens to everyone sometimes, but it seems to happen to me more often than is normal.

Ugh! Some of these issues sound suspiciously similar to the problems my Awesome Gamer Girl keeps having with her phone! Just curious, what model is this finely crafted piece of junk?

Samsung Galaxy S4 Blaze. It's just over two years old, which is probably part of the problem. I just finished paying for it, so now, naturally, is when everything is going to fail.

Eh, don't feel bad. My wife was having abdominal pain a couple weeks ago and we took her to the emergency room. Ended up having her gall bladder removed. Better to be on the safe side, IMO.

Been there, done that. She hasn't been able to eat lettuce since then.

You're a chemist. Surely you can put together something to melt the whole unit, and produce a heart-warming (ahem) fireball during the process?

I know, as a nuclear astrophysicist I ought to be able to visit core collapse supernovae on the objects of my ire, but like you, that isn't in my budget.

Hmmm, I wonder what Flinn is selling concentrated hydrofluoric acid for these days.....

Last night I ate at a restaurant. I tried to pay with a gift card I had received. It was rejected, so I paid with my debit card. No big deal until I check the balance on my gift card. It showed the restaurant charge went through and charged me again for something I didn't buy. So I have a zero balance on my card. I called the gift card company to dispute the charges. I was told it would take 3-7 days for the cash to be returned. So I can't use the card to buy something today. In the meantime, I tried calling the restaurant, but it's not open until tomorrow.

I know this sort of crap happens to everyone sometimes, but it seems to happen to me more often than is normal.

Since the charge was last night, the best thing to do in this instance is to contact your debit card issuer immediately and challenge the charge. At the same time contact the BBB and National Restaurant Association and tell them exactly what happened. If the card issuer gives you a hard time then the big guns with those two organizations should be able get some kind of results.

Since the charge was last night, the best thing to do in this instance is to contact your debit card issuer immediately and challenge the charge. At the same time contact the BBB and National Restaurant Association and tell them exactly what happened. If the card issuer gives you a hard time then the big guns with those two organizations should be able get some kind of results.

Thanks. I have already contacted the company who did the gift card. The person on the line said the charges will be reversed, although I'm not going to  I will contact my bank and explain the situation. I will contact the restaurant tomorrow (actually the cafe at the opera house) and talk about the disputed charges. Hopefully I can resolve this quickly and amicably.

Been there, done that. She hasn't been able to eat lettuce since then.

Yeah, anything high-cellulose or fatty is rough when you don't have the organ that specifically breaks those things down. My wife discovered last night after ignoring my warnings and eating a pork-steak.  Thus, she was the cranky one (though she doesn't post here).  I already have to avoid most of that kind of thing due to my ulcerative colitis.  So, she's figuring she'll just have to adopt my diet.

Is it any wonder I err on the side of caution when it comes to digestive issues?

It seems to have been mostly an Acid reflux issue.   However, We were there for almost 9 hours,    I am lucky I lived through my hour each way commute and kept my job through the training.    The training is so mandatory, I could not call in sick unless "I" was in the ER.  

Okay, that last bit really sucks.  A sick relative (especially a direct relation) should be a valid excuse. 

I've had a rough couple of months.  My tenants wrecked my rental property - excrement on the floors, walls and ceilings, windows broken, plumbing broken, AC units gone.  It's been a lot of work to rehab, and really saddening.

My daughter (you may remember our excitement at the date of adoption) has moved in with my wife's cousins.  Attachment disorder is ... appalling.  She didn't set the cat on fire or anything, but she was desperately unhappy with us (which I get, I really do, it was a flarging madhouse when she came home to us, and she had a long row to hoe in the best of circumstances).  I am frankly heartbroken.  I know we have done the best for her that we can, even in letting her go.  They are good people, with bunch of bio-kids and an abiding faith in a benevolent (if somewhat dominionist) God that Lucy always wanted and we cannot provide.  I miss her, but she can't miss me, because attachment disorder is appalling.  She's a good kid, strange and sad and deeply deeply broken ("When will Papa touch my vagina?" "Never, honey, we're aiming for never." "Why not?"), but mostly good.

The best I can hope for her is that she will grow up and be happy and be part of a family that cares for her.  I hope that she can live a full and happy life, and I am so sad that it won't be with us.

Deaths take time to get over. There will probably always be good days and bad days.

I had a good friend go through the attachment disorder thing. That is incredibly rough and it's hard to feel like people relate because it's not something that the general population is familiar with. It takes a special kind of bravery to put yourself into a position where it could be an issue, and I'm pretty sure I'm not that brave. Someone has to do it, but we as a society don't support them as much as we ought to. Or the kids, for that matter.

I understand a little of that, Ternaugh. My best friend died our senior year in high school from a bad reaction to an OTC medication. A great friend, not a wife, and even now there are days when I get misty thinking about the things we used to do together. I'm going to sound farm boy here, but I've never seen anyone who could drive a tractor like he could. I swear there were times when he broke the laws of physics.

The losses described here are tough.  My own:

22 years ago today my mother was killed in a freak accident, a flash flood on her way home from work.  Taken too soon, vanished from my life.  I've thought of her practically every day since.  She was kind, intelligent and full of whimsy.

The kicker is that my father once told me that in a sense, she predicted this event.  To him, she expressed her belief she would not have a long life.  I don't know that I believe in prophecy, but I do wonder.

So we found ouot that we're not getting a new Management Trainee. The guy next up from me in our little executive order tells me that with a haunted look in his eye. What happens when I go on vacation and he has to close the store five nights in a week?

My sympathy for him is not unlimited. I am wondering, however, exactly how the process of getting people to volunteer for management positions in retail goes these days.

"Volunteers for the non-union Assistant First Officer position? I know that the work is hard, but with promotions, you can ---Hey, quit laughing. Anyway. Anyone? Anyone? Okay, we'll revisit this at the end of the meeting, in case any of you change your mind. Second, some scut work here: cleaning and repainting the lifeboats. I know, it's tough work. You're going to be on your own down on the lifeboat deck for the next few months to get it all-- Okay, everybody, you can put your hands down. I'll pass a paper around so you can sign up for --Please, everybody, can I have your attention? You can find pens later. . ."